OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 89 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the new facility I was talking about. Impressive.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article791676.html

I agree; but, I am curious. When did soccer become big for Kansas City? The Chiefs have done well and the Royals have some tradition; but, the old Wizards were usually at the bottom of MLS at least until they got their nice, fancy, new home. Neither of the primary flagship universities in the area (U Kansas, U Missouri) sponsor men’s soccer as neither the SEC nor the XII sponsor men’s soccer (S Carolina & Kentucky play in Conf USA, W Virginia plays in the MAC). I don’t think the state of Kansas has a single D1 NCAA men’s soccer team. The local Missouri state U has a men’s soccer team, UMKC, and, of course, St. Louis U on the other side of Missouri has been a successful program.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well that was one of your "yes's". Just showing you it's actually a "no".

True, but it demonstrates more entertaining. Like I said they don't put money in things they can't sell.

Hello, McFly? Really? You're missing a lot there.

At the risk of beating this subject to death:

1) One of my "yes's" is actually a "maybe", since Real and Barca are spending more money, but the middle teams are spending less. So to the idea that the league is attracting more talent due to the money, the answer is "maybe".

2) Ratings don't demonstrate more interesting. Ratings demonstrate that they have penetrated the American market, as ZooCougar has already pointed out. The fact that you are ignoring that is your own thing, not mine.

3) I'm not missing anything, since I watch both leagues. And the idea that the players in La Liga would "have a hard time with the speed and intensity of the league" is comical at best. The proof of that is the performance of those teams against the English teams in both the Champions League and Europa League tourneys.

So, at this point, I won't say any more about it. I'm feeling good about where I stand...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If 4-1 is rough, what do you call 7-0? But Landon Donovan insisted that the result was not embarrassing.

I'd call it worse but I didn't know the score - I just happened to be watching KC when I posted.

If anyone wanted proof about which side is obsessed with Donovan, yikes.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I wish that the MLS had a better showing yesterday. We got off to a good start with Seattle, and then Toronto did a decent job against the Coys, but the last two games of the night were not good at all. Unfortunately, we're in a position where the friendly games mean a great deal more to us than they do to the European clubs, so we really need to show well in them.

All that the last two results did was to help confirm perceptions that Ashley Cole shares, when he made the comment, "I've had other offers from USA, but I didn't want to sit on the beach yet." :oops:

Reaction Score
Its reality, not perception. There is a huge gulf in the quality of play, it will not change in our lifetime. If anything, last night confirmed the need for guys like Besler, Yedlin, (and Eddie Pope in the past) to go to Europe to reach their full potential.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
At the risk of beating this subject to death:
That's kind of the point of a message board isn't it? ;)
1) One of my "yes's" is actually a "maybe", since Real and Barca are spending more money, but the middle teams are spending less. So to the idea that the league is attracting more talent due to the money, the answer is "maybe".
Not really what we were discussing. But you've almost back pedaled to no.:cool:
2) Ratings don't demonstrate more interesting. Ratings demonstrate that they have penetrated the American market, as ZooCougar has already pointed out. The fact that you are ignoring that is your own thing, not mine.
Never said anything about ratings. Networks put their money where the "entertainment" is. The fact that you keep ignoring this fact is your thing, not mine.
3) I'm not missing anything, since I watch both leagues. And the idea that the players in La Liga would "have a hard time with the speed and intensity of the league" is comical at best. The proof of that is the performance of those teams against the English teams in both the Champions League and Europa League tourneys.
Yea, well you've missed what pretty much everyone else realizes and talks about on almost any broadcast about new players coming into the EPL. It's kinda of a duh thing. Common knowledge. It's kind of comical you have missed this.

So, at this point, I won't say any more about it. I'm feeling good about where I stand...
I have no doubt you do. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I agree; but, I am curious. When did soccer become big for Kansas City? The Chiefs have done well and the Royals have some tradition; but, the old Wizards were usually at the bottom of MLS at least until they got their nice, fancy, new home. Neither of the primary flagship universities in the area (U Kansas, U Missouri) sponsor men’s soccer as neither the SEC nor the XII sponsor men’s soccer (S Carolina & Kentucky play in Conf USA, W Virginia plays in the MAC). I don’t think the state of Kansas has a single D1 NCAA men’s soccer team. The local Missouri state U has a men’s soccer team, UMKC, and, of course, St. Louis U on the other side of Missouri has been a successful program.

First of all. I think college soccer is completely irrelevant. It's popular only in a few places and even in those places it's not moving any needles.

Second of all. I really have no idea. I do know that Lamar Hunt (deceased owner of the Chiefs) was really picky about who he sold the Wizards to and this article sheds some light on it. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article660682.html

Reaction Score
I'd call it worse but I didn't know the score - I just happened to be watching KC when I posted.

If anyone wanted proof about which side is obsessed with Donovan, yikes.

I missed the KC game. I sorta knew Peter Vermes would dial it back because this game didn't matter. But didn't Man City get awarded two penalties? Second half SKC played a bunch of new guys, I think they debuted a dude from Honduras who just got back from the World Cup. Some of that was bad luck, some of it was breaking in some young guys.

Reaction Score
Its reality, not perception. There is a huge gulf in the quality of play, it will not change in our lifetime. If anything, last night confirmed the need for guys like Besler, Yedlin, (and Eddie Pope in the past) to go to Europe to reach their full potential.

Absolutely wrong. Besler and Zusi are what they are development wise, if they were Yedlin's age it would be a totally different story. Besler and Zusi were getting courted by the Sunderlands and Evertons. Yedlin is being courted by Inter Milan and AS Roma. I think if Besler and Zusi were being courted by clubs of that stature then it might be different.

Honestly, is Brek Shea better off riding the Pine for Stoke City?

And they will develop better playing for SKC than they will in some second Division English club or a Portugeuse Club that was just relegated.

Secondly, these MLS teams actually have games that matter this weekend. Pretty sure the managers regard these games as distractions. SKC's manager said that his #1 objective was to not get anyone hurt. So pretty much they used this game play a bunch of new guys and some other guys who were low on minutes.

Now, Seattle played Totteham Hotspur to a draw last week. They actually took that one seriously because they were drubbed a few years back.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wish that the MLS had a better showing yesterday. We got off to a good start with Seattle, and then Toronto did a decent job against the Coys, but the last two games of the night were not good at all. Unfortunately, we're in a position where the friendly games mean a great deal more to us than they do to the European clubs, so we really need to show well in them.
If this were true we'd have seen the MLS clubs trot out their best lineups. I don't know who Seattle put on the pitch in their game but Toronto had DeFoe only play the first half and Bradley never even played. KC didn't have Zusi in their lineup either. So to say that the MLS teams were playing their best and didn't show it would not be entirely true. I don't know who the Galaxy threw out there, way past my bed time.

Now for the EPL clubs, they didn't have their best lineups either. However, I'd say that if the MLS clubs put their usual starting lineups out there they'd have a better showing versus the second team players the EPL clubs put out there. As for ManU, their manager is on record saying he doesn't want to be playing any games in the US and it's going to hurt his team. I wouldn't be shocked if he beats the heck out of every team he plays while in the US to prove why playing here is a waste for him. What he doesn't see is how having ManU play in the US is more than just a training exercise. It's growing their brand in an increasing soccer market full of wealthy corporate sponsors. If he wants to have the cash to buy players and stay competitive with the Barca's and Real's, he needs to play in the US.

Reaction Score

All that the last two results did was to help confirm perceptions that Ashley Cole shares, when he made the comment, "I've had other offers from USA, but I didn't want to sit on the beach yet." :oops:

I think the give a factor has varied club by club. Seattle and Toronto took their matches seriously, obviously LA didn't, SKC played hard for 45 minutes and switched it up in the second half. '

The main objective of these games is to sell tickets and make the clubs some money.

Reaction Score

Now for the EPL clubs, they didn't have their best lineups either. However, I'd say that if the MLS clubs put their usual starting lineups out there they'd have a better showing versus the second team players the EPL clubs put out there. QUOTE]

Those second teamers are trying to become first teamers. Way more incentive for the EPL guys to play a little harder. We're in the middle of our season, they are just getting going.

I'm not saying that our teams are as good, I just don't believe those scores are legitimate benchmarks.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FrostyNuggets said:

Playing time with the first team is important also. No point in signing with a big four league if you're not playing competitive matches.

Play regularly against and with the best you can. For the younger guys from the WC, then MLS isn't good for the national side or the player. I get Dempsey cashing in and to an extent Bradley running his own squad (he should be competing in Europe at his age and talent level). His WC didn't do him any favors either.

Guys like Zusi and Besler who may not be around in 2018 need to make money, play, and getting better. Those two were in a very tough spot as any team they signed with could park them on the bench rather quickly.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If this were true we'd have seen the MLS clubs trot out their best lineups. I don't know who Seattle put on the pitch in their game but Toronto had DeFoe only play the first half and Bradley never even played. KC didn't have Zusi in their lineup either. So to say that the MLS teams were playing their best and didn't show it would not be entirely true. I don't know who the Galaxy threw out there, way past my bed time.

Now for the EPL clubs, they didn't have their best lineups either. However, I'd say that if the MLS clubs put their usual starting lineups out there they'd have a better showing versus the second team players the EPL clubs put out there. As for ManU, their manager is on record saying he doesn't want to be playing any games in the US and it's going to hurt his team. I wouldn't be shocked if he beats the heck out of every team he plays while in the US to prove why playing here is a waste for him. What he doesn't see is how having ManU play in the US is more than just a training exercise. It's growing their brand in an increasing soccer market full of wealthy corporate sponsors. If he wants to have the cash to buy players and stay competitive with the Barca's and Real's, he needs to play in the US.

I didn't say that our teams played harder or that we were 100% starters. I said the games mean more to us than to them. That's a fact. We have a perception problem that can only be solved by showing well in games like these, even if we are sitting some of our starters, or even if the other squads are sitting most of theirs. And I'm under no illusion that our teams are as good. They're not. But we can't allow for 7-0 thrashings by teams using their B players. It reinforces a lot of bad things about US soccer that I'm hoping will come to an end soon...

Reaction Score
The next person who posts about soccer gets a vodoo doll on the RR tracks. Time to move on.

article-2511060-198E2B8D00000578-907_634x497.jpg

Reaction Score
Don't read too much in to these games. Both sides, Euro clubs and MLS are substituting a lot, giving a lot of guys looks, etc... Spurs and City both left a big chunk of their regulars at home to give their bodies a break from just playing close to 10 straight months of futbol. I didn't see Man U, Villa or Crystal Palace, so no clue if they played their top regulars or not (from the score sheet, it sure looks like Man U did). Arsenal may play more regulars in the first half since it is a 1 and done in the US, and they are tuning up for their "play-in" home and home for Champions league, but these are exhibition games and as about as telling/relevant as pre season NFL games.

Reaction Score
I didn't say that our teams played harder or that we were 100% starters. I said the games mean more to us than to them. That's a fact. We have a perception problem that can only be solved by showing well in games like these, even if we are sitting some of our starters, or even if the other squads are sitting most of theirs. And I'm under no illusion that our teams are as good. They're not. But we can't allow for 7-0 thrashings by teams using their B players. It reinforces a lot of bad things about US soccer that I'm hoping will come to an end soon...

Yeah but I like where our National Team is compared to England's. We actually have a plan and England just wants to do more of the same.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The next person who posts about soccer gets a vodoo doll on the RR tracks. Time to move on.

So you and whaler make the call on when a topic is over now? Got it!

Reaction Score
First of all. I think college soccer is completely irrelevant. It's popular only in a few places and even in those places it's not moving any needles.

Second of all. I really have no idea. I do know that Lamar Hunt (deceased owner of the Chiefs) was really picky about who he sold the Wizards to and this article sheds some light on it. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article660682.html

Fair enough and I did not know that about Hunt. I was using college soccer as that was really the only benchmark between the demise of original NASL in the early 80’s and MLS in the late 90’s.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you and whaler make the call on when a topic is over now? Got it!

I'm pretty sure that Art and I don't decide anything together. I am impressed he didn't mention in his post that he blocked me.

I was just making a joke about you and Zoo bringing up Donovan. Sorry it it didn't come off that way.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that Art and I don't decide anything together. I am impressed he didn't mention in his post that he blocked me.

I was just making a joke about you and Zoo bringing up Donovan. Sorry it it didn't come off that way.

Just trolling dude..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline