OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 45 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On top of that, have you guys read the articles and interviews with him about his approach? Read this and this and tell me he isn't the right coach for an American team.

"Klinsmann thinks that the U.S. team can help to shake the country out of its apathy. But he says that winning won’t be enough; the team will have to win in a recognizably American style. “It has to be our goal to develop a style in which Americans will recognize themselves,” he says. “They have to be in front of the television and say, ‘Yes, that’s my team.’” Klinsmann admits that this is a bit of a challenge in such a diverse country where “no one is completely American.” But Klinsmann believes that the team’s playing style will eventually resemble something like the country’s assertive entrepreneurial culture. “Americans are proactive,” he tells me. “You want to be world leaders in everything you do. So, on the field, you shouldn’t just sit back and wait.” Although American teams have traditionally depended on counter-attacking—a type of strategy that involves exploiting an opponent’s aggression—Klinsmann hopes that his players will soon be more assertive and creative on offense."

I have wanted JK to be the US Coach as far back as 2002. Not that I didn't love what Bruce Arena had done. Back then JK was living in LA, playing for fun on one of the local club teams. My parents best friends were German and spent a few summers of my childhood watching him play in the World Cup for Germany, so I was already pretty familiar.

In 2002 he was making noise about wanting to become a manager and he had some great ideas about how to reform American soccer. I was bummed when we hired Bradley, and Bradley did some good things in his tenure.

Not to get all Spackler on everybody, but George Washington was smart enough to bring in some foreign Officers to help him build an Army. We were smart to hire JK to help us build the program. And... I love what he is doing. I think he is bringing his expertise and running the show as if he were an American.

Reaction Score
Yes I'm aware. Hence the, "I know other sports do this" comment. I just prefer that players AND coaches be of national decent of the team they're playing and coaching for. I also realize that not everyone will share that sentiment. I'll get over it.

I see your point, but JK isn't a hired gun like a Gus Hiddink (who coached South Korea, Australia, Russia, Turkey etc.) . JK is practically an honorary American and he is a program builder.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Holy cow, Suarez, you had ONE JOB: DON'T BITE PEOPLE.
Man I really wanna like Suarez, especially after reading the article about him in ESPN the magazine. However, doing crap like that makes it impossible. What possible excuse could he even make at this point? 3 times in 3 years? Wasted talent

Reaction Score
Man I really wanna like Suarez, especially after reading the article about him in ESPN the magazine. However, doing crap like that makes it impossible. What possible excuse could he even make at this point? 3 times in 3 years? Wasted talent

Yeah I don't know. I'm a Liverpool fan and I've made plenty of excuses for him but this is just beyond ridiculous.

Reaction Score

That's completely unfair. It's 3 times in 4 years. When you think about how many times he's had to bite things in that span - steaks, apples, chewing gum, tough to open plastic packaging, etc., it is really only a very, very small percentage of his bites in the last four years that have actually affected his opponents. Statistically negligible, in fact.

Reaction Score
Not that I am condoning Suarez, but I can't stand Italy and I am glad they are going home.

I do not like Italy either, especially as they spend way too much time acting and yapping at the refs. That said, the harsh Red Card, missing Suarez’s bite (I did not see the ref even ask one of the linesmen to see if they saw what happened) gave Uruguay the win. That said, Italy should have pushed harder for a goal early and then make the vampires to chase the game knowing that a win or draw puts them through.

Also on the ref front, I did not see the Mexico/Croatia game last night; but, I read that 2 or 3 clear handballs in the box were missed by the ref. Do our neighbors to the south get the award for most goals disallowed this Cup?

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Gurleyman said:
That's completely unfair. It's 3 times in 4 years. When you think about how many times he's had to bite things in that span - steaks, apples, chewing gum, tough to open plastic packaging, etc., it is really only a very, very small percentage of his bites in the last four years that have actually affected his opponents. Statistically negligible, in fact.

That's funny. But I also find his post bite flop just as enraging. Clearly trying to bait the defender into a penalty in the box. FIFA should ban him for that alone.

Reaction Score

Uruguay’s next opponent should hire Mike Tyson to mark Suarez.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have wanted JK to be the US Coach as far back as 2002. Not that I didn't love what Bruce Arena had done. Back then JK was living in LA, playing for fun on one of the local club teams. My parents best friends were German and spent a few summers of my childhood watching him play in the World Cup for Germany, so I was already pretty familiar.

In 2002 he was making noise about wanting to become a manager and he had some great ideas about how to reform American soccer. I was bummed when we hired Bradley, and Bradley did some good things in his tenure.

Not to get all Spackler on everybody, but George Washington was smart enough to bring in some foreign Officers to help him build an Army. We were smart to hire JK to help us build the program. And... I love what he is doing. I think he is bringing his expertise and running the show as if he were an American.

Why don't you tell us how Valley Forge was General...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Scoring Update:
Nate Silver: 2
Dan97 & Italy: Nil

Reaction Score
I do not like Italy either, especially as they spend way too much time acting and yapping at the refs. That said, the weak Rd Card, missing Suarez’s bite (I did not see the ref even ask one of the linesmen to see if they saw what happened) and absolute Red Card gave Uruguay the win. That said, Italy should have pushed harder for a goal early one to for the vampires to chase the game knowing that a win or draw puts them through.

From the other side, the Marchisio tackle looks a lot more intentional/dangerous. Borderline red, but certainly not sportsmanlike.

http://gfycat.com/WickedCreamyCero

Reaction Score
Someone made a few kroners on the bite

24odf2f.jpg

Reaction Score
That's funny. But I also find his post bite flop just as enraging. Clearly trying to bait the defender into a penalty in the box. FIFA should ban him for that alone.

To be fair, I do think he sorta caught an elbow after he bit Chiellini. Not that it makes it okay. But he probably did (deservedly) get hit in the mouth.

Reaction Score
Why don't you tell us how Valley Forge was General...

I can't tell you what Valley Forge was like, but if I was JK, I would hire Bill Belichick and Tony Dungy and implement the Tampa Two into the US defense. I would have two safeties deep with Tim Howard at all times and we would attack at all times. I would also have Admiral McRaven on staff to implement a Special Ops mentality and the team would practice at night with no lights and Night Vision goggles. I would also have George DeLeone on speed dial because Bill Parcells used to pick his brain.

Reaction Score
Holy cow, Suarez, you had ONE JOB: DON'T BITE PEOPLE.
What is funny is, 5 minutes before this happened I turned to my buddy and said "watch Suarez bite somebody"... Unbelievable!

Reaction Score
From the other side, the Marchisio tackle looks a lot more intentional/dangerous. Borderline red, but certainly not sportsmanlike.

http://gfycat.com/WickedCreamyCero

Thanks for the GIF. Looking at the replay several times, I would call it a Yellow. To me, it looks like Marchisio was looking to physically block out Rio by planting both legs on either side of Rio and then rotating/blocking him off the ball. I have done that play myself. Marchisio unfortunately horribly mistimed his second step and planted his right foot on Rio’s leg and not the turf. A mistake; but, not a straight Red.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Scoring Update:
Nate Silver: 2
Dan97 & Italy: Nil

Why? Did Silver have Uruguay winning this one? If he did, then I'll finally know who paid the referee off...

Reaction Score
Dude... You're such a Suarez homer... :)

Reaction Score
To be fair, I do think he sorta caught an elbow after he bit Chiellini. Not that it makes it okay. But he probably did (deservedly) get hit in the mouth.

Suarez got nicked; but, it looked to me like he was trying to draw a foul in the box and to pull attention away from what he did. If someone bit me playing soccer, it would be very hard for me not to jump the guy and make sure he had no teeth left bite to bite anyone again.

hannibal-lecter-mask.jpg
PS – Suarez will be required to wear this safety gear going forward.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why? Did Silver have Uruguay winning this one? If he did, then I'll finally know who paid the referee off...

41 to 30 percent chance. Betting Silver in the tourney would have one up 500%

Reaction Score
I can't tell you what Valley Forge was like, but if I was JK, I would hire Bill Belichick and Tony Dungy and implement the Tampa Two into the US defense. I would have two safeties deep with Tim Howard at all times and we would attack at all times. I would also have Admiral McRaven on staff to implement a Special Ops mentality and the team would practice at night with no lights and Night Vision goggles. I would also have George DeLeone on speed dial because Bill Parcells used to pick his brain.

You know what's something else, and I'm not sure if it's funny or sad, probably both, is that 18,500+ posts between the two of you and whaler,and how many 100,000's of posts there are from everyone else youve either written yourself or read or responded to, and it's my useless drivel on a free-access public internet website that gets remembered all the time.

I must be doing something correct with writing, and it's just a little hobby I've developed for down time really. Maybe when I'm really officially retired, I'll start writing for money.

Here's a hint - if you never read anything from me again around here, I probably started getting paid for being memorable with writing.

Reaction Score
You know what's something else, and I'm not sure if it's funny or sad, probably both, is that 18,500+ posts between the two of you and whaler,and how many 100,000's of posts there are from everyone else youve either written yourself or read or responded to, and it's my useless drivel on a free-access public internet website that gets remembered all the time.

I must be doing something correct with writing, and it's just a little hobby I've developed for down time really. Maybe when I'm really officially retired, I'll start writing for money.

Here's a hint - if you never read anything from me again around here, I probably started getting paid for being memorable with writing.

People should get paid by the word to read your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom