OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 43 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, they went for the jugular, but how advanced were Croatia's players? They (Croatia) needed a win, not a draw, so their situation dictated greater risk-taking even when they went behind. I don't watch enough soccer to be able to discern if they were sending more guys forward or what formation, etc., but maybe someone else can tell.

Reaction Score
As expected, Mexico finishes last in qualifying, gets the easier group, and moves on. Although playing the Netherlands is not much of a reward.

Reaction Score
Here's what I got - the same player who's physical ability got us the play started that scored the goal to go up 2-1, is the same player that made the mental mistake that led to the game ending play that finished the game at a 2-2 tie. Yedlin his last name is - #2. The kid can flat out run faster than anybody else out there, and is probably our best prospect as a national player for the future. He's got ball skills, can play the game at the highest levels, has the pre-requisite skills, but he made a bad mental mistake. He could have let the ball roll out in the opposing team offensive corner, with less than 30 seconds to play, and had the U.S. maintain possession with the clock running ,and really that is the only situation where you can actually run the clock out without playing. Just stand there an dhold the ball for 20-30 seconds and throw it in. The game tying play came of the Portugal throw in, and involved physical mistakes, not mental ones, and Jurgen Klinsmann did indeed want his team forward, and attacking, and not back in the last minutes of that game after the goal.

You take Yedlin ... I'll take Julian Green ... and I'll see you next cycle.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yedlin and Green had speed, the one thing we know JK wanted. I'd like to see him defend in 2018 qualifying before I anoint him as anything but fast, which he clearly is.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You guys must have a lot of free time to read all of Carl's posts....I just skip them and read the replies. I can usually get the jist of what he was saying! Lol! We're in for a battle on Thursday and I'm not feeling great about it. That draw still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know it's a point but it was our game to be had and we would be moving on. Now we must win, draw, or lose by a goal to Germany ( yes I know it could be more than a goal), a team that out classes us at every position. It's gonna be a crazy Thursday and I'll be watching at work!

Reaction Score
I have to say, after a full day, I feel slightly less despairing over our "loss" to Portugal. We still have 4 points and a win, draw, or even loss combined with Portugal win/draw or even Ghana 1-0 win would get us ahead.

If you look at this outcome table, there are a lot of favorable outcomes for the U.S. We just need to stay focused and bring it to Germany and play like we did against Portugal, minus two mistakes.

smFlO6m.png

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have to say, after a full day, I feel slightly less despairing over our "loss" to Portugal. We still have 4 points and a win, draw, or even loss combined with Portugal win/draw or even Ghana 1-0 win would get us ahead.

If you look at this outcome table, there are a lot of favorable outcomes for the U.S. We just need to stay focused and bring it to Germany and play like we did against Portugal, minus two mistakes.

smFlO6m.png

I feel a lot worse. I feel like they need at least a draw to move forward. Ghana 1-0 doesn't work if the US loses by 2.

Don't like the depleted Portugese team off short rest and the rain forest against so much team speed.

If they don't get at least the draw I think they go home. If Portugal doesn't jump all over them early I have a bad feeling they roll over.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:

So of Germany wins by 2 or more and Ghana beats Portugal, both not so unlikely, then the US is out.

Or any US loss with any Ghana win where Ghana scores more goals.

The drawing of lots is very unlikely.

Reaction Score
I feel a lot worse. I feel like they need at least a draw to move forward. Ghana 1-0 doesn't work if the US loses by 2.

Don't like the depleted Portugese team off short rest and the rain forest against so much team speed.

If they don't get at least the draw I think they go home. If Portugal doesn't jump all over them early I have a bad feeling they roll over.

A win or draw or Portugal win or draw gets us ahead. I don't think Portugal is as bad as they looked against Germany. They played a man down almost all game and they have Pepe back. We'll see.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
A win or draw or Portugal win or draw gets us ahead. I don't think Portugal is as bad as they looked against Germany. They played a man down almost all game and they have Pepe back. We'll see.

I think Portugal gets blown out. They are tired, injured, short handed, and don't look like a team with a lot of fight. They went up 1-0 and with a chance to save their tournament didn't play much defense and botched a number of good chances. Ghana will be out for blood.

I think we are dependent on a conservative game with Germany that plays itself into a draw late. The risk of playing full pace for both sides is just too high regardless of the press conferences. If it's tied any time after 30 minutes, it should end in a draw.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I get the tiebreakers. I don't see Portugal getting the draw. I don't like the extra day Ghana had. I don't like that Ghana is the youngest team in the tourney. I don't like that if Portugal doesn't have a commanding lead early they have nothing to play for late.

Reaction Score
If I cared about this at all I would be livid if Ghana advanced with identical records. Seriously the tiebreakers are so stupid it's hard to believe.

Reaction Score
I get the tiebreakers. I don't see Portugal getting the draw. I don't like the extra day Ghana had. I don't like that Ghana is the youngest team in the tourney. I don't like that if Portugal doesn't have a commanding lead early they have nothing to play for late.

If you want to advance in the World Cup, you need to beat good teams. It's not perfect, but we're going to have to take it to Germany. Sooner or later, you can't rely on other teams to do what you want them to do. We can draw Germany. I don't know if we will, but I think we can.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If I cared about this at all I would be livid if Ghana advanced with identical records. Seriously the tiebreakers are so stupid it's hard to believe.

I actually disagree. If head to head were the first tiebreaker it would really diminish the group stage.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you want to advance in the World Cup, you need to beat good teams. It's not perfect, but we're going to have to take it to Germany. Sooner or later, you can't rely on other teams to do what you want them to do. We can draw Germany. I don't know if we will, but I think we can.

Well of course but I'm not worried about winning the tournament I'm worried about getting out of the group.

Reaction Score

I like goal differential. It's a better indicator of overall club strength than a specific game. It's all about consistency overall. Anything can happen in a specific game (injury, red card, etc.). Differential over 3 games gives a better overall sense of your overall team form. I think either way you could make a decent case -- but differential is much easier to figure out if, for instance, you had a 3-way tie, etc.

Honestly, great WC teams don't rely on tiebreakers to advance. Everyone has a chance to win games and get out of their group, and if you don't, then it's on you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How so?

Goal differential forces teams to play for 90 minutes. It may not be in your best interest to sit on a one goal lead. It punishes teams who roll over and die like Portugal did against Germany.

The third games of the group stages would be much less interesting in general because there would be so many fewer scenarios where results mattered.

Reaction Score
Goal differential forces teams to play for 90 minutes. It may not be in your best interest to sit on a one goal lead. It punishes teams who roll over and die like Portugal did against Germany.

The third games of the group stages would be much less interesting in general because there would be so many fewer scenarios where results mattered.

Yeah we'll agree to disagree on this. I won't go Spackler on you guys. You're the soccer fans so maybe you have a better grasp.

To me, it dimishes winning the games. It's like running up the score for BCS style points. Hate it. Win games. 1-0 or 5-0. Shouldn't matter.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can tell you one thing, and this isn't negotiable, no matter what my experience with soccer is. A ball that is not directed at the goal, will not go in the goal.
Sorry you are incorrect again. See the OG (from Donovan's cross) vs Portugal circa 2002. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom