OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 46 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You know what's something else, and I'm not sure if it's funny or sad, probably both, is that 18,500+ posts between the two of you and whaler,and how many 100,000's of posts there are from everyone else youve either written yourself or read or responded to, and it's my useless drivel on a free-access public internet website that gets remembered all the time.

I must be doing something correct with writing, and it's just a little hobby I've developed for down time really. Maybe when I'm really officially retired, I'll start writing for money.

Here's a hint - if you never read anything from me again around here, I probably started getting paid for being memorable with writing.

Relax brother, just making a joke. I didn't think you were the sensitive type based on your writings.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
41 to 30 percent chance. Betting Silver in the tourney would have one up 500%

Then I'm CERTAIN that he's the one that paid off the ref, since it didn't appear that Uruguay could beat Italy while they had 11 men...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Newcomers don't like the offsides rule, but without that there is no game. But there have been tweaks over time as no game is perfect. Not so long ago, a win was only worth 2 points. And the keeper could handle ball when receiving a kick from a teammate. Now that's a red card.
Sorry to be nitpicky, but a "passback" is not a red card. Nor a yellow. Just an Indirect Free Kick.

Reaction Score
HuskyHawk said:
On top of that, have you guys read the articles and interviews with him about his approach? Read this and this and tell me he isn't the right coach for an American team. "Klinsmann thinks that the U.S. team can help to shake the country out of its apathy. But he says that winning won’t be enough; the team will have to win in a recognizably American style. “It has to be our goal to develop a style in which Americans will recognize themselves,” he says. “They have to be in front of the television and say, ‘Yes, that’s my team.’” Klinsmann admits that this is a bit of a challenge in such a diverse country where “no one is completely American.” But Klinsmann believes that the team’s playing style will eventually resemble something like the country’s assertive entrepreneurial culture. “Americans are proactive,” he tells me. “You want to be world leaders in everything you do. So, on the field, you shouldn’t just sit back and wait.” Although American teams have traditionally depended on counter-attacking—a type of strategy that involves exploiting an opponent’s aggression—Klinsmann hopes that his players will soon be more assertive and creative on offense."

In other words, Klinsmann agrees with Carl. :)

Reaction Score
The more I see that, the more red it looks. Cleats on the knee and then pushing off.yea red.

Yeah I mean... you could make a case either way. I think he was trying to block the opposing player from the ball, but high cleats, right on the shin, with follow through, not near the ball, right in front of the ref, it's a stupid, reckless tackle that at least deserves a yellow. Stupid play.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Costa Rica and Greece to get to the quarters. That's why they play the games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The more I see that, the more red it looks. Cleats on the knee and then pushing off.yea red.

Watching live it felt like an overreaction, but the tenth time it seems like a reasonable decision.

Reaction Score
Sorry to be nitpicky, but a "passback" is not a red card. Nor a yellow. Just an Indirect Free Kick.

And 20 years ago, one really had to earn a Red card. Basically, no blood, no Red, and that was still optional. Just ask France's Patrick Battiston about the 1982 Cup. Never mind, he does not remember.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And 20 years ago, one really had to earn a Red card. Basically, no blood, no Red, and that was still optional. Just ask France's Patrick Battiston about the 1982 Cup. Never mind, he does not remember.

True. Glad it's tightened up.

Reaction Score

That was brutal. The way the carted him off was borderline barbaric. Today he'd be put in a collar and the meat wagon would out on the field. Back in 82 they basically put him on a stretcher and hurried him off the field so the game could resume.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So Greece scored two goals in the whole group (one being on a PK) and they advance? Dang must be nice to be in a cake walk group. Things looking up for Costa Rica!

Reaction Score
So Greece scored two goals in the whole group (one being on a PK) and they advance? Dang must be nice to be in a cake walk group. Things looking up for Costa Rica!
Yea, Costa Rica is playing very well right now. They seem to be on a mission and have the neutral/western hemisphere fan base on their side. Not sure I agree that the Greece group is a cake walk. All teams and groups at this level of the world cup are tough, some like the USA's tougher, I agree. IVC on paper at least, was probably the best team to come out of Africa; Japan was the Asian Cup holder( I believe ) and Greece was tied for 1st with BosniaH, in the qualifiers.

As for Greece, they played poorly in the first game against Colombia (arguably the 'hotttest'/best team so far). Against Japan, people forget that Greece were playing with 10 men most of the game, had as many chances on goal as Japan, and managed to get a point(tie). How many goals or points did Honduras get against France, Portugal against Germany, Italy against Uruguay, when they where a man down? If you watched the game against the IVC, Greece played very well and hit the "woodwork" three times and had numerous chances on goal.

There are a lot of fashionable views from soccer aficionados, that IMO are becoming passe', and discounting achievements from Greece, USA, Algeria, Iran, and Costa Rica are examples. Many follow the EPL and figure they know soccer. There is a lot of good soccer played all over.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yea, Costa Rica is playing very well right now. They seem to be on a mission and have the neutral/western hemisphere fan base on their side. Not sure I agree that the Greece group is a cake walk. All teams and groups at this level of the world cup are tough, some like the USA's tougher, I agree. IVC on paper at least, was probably the best team to come out of Africa; Japan was the Asian Cup holder( I believe ) and Greece was tied for 1st with BosniaH, in the qualifiers.

As for Greece, they played poorly in the first game against Colombia (arguably the 'hotttest'/best team so far). Against Japan, people forget that Greece were playing with 10 men most of the game, had as many chances on goal as Japan, and managed to get a point(tie). How many goals or points did Honduras get against France, Portugal against Germany, Italy against Uruguay, when they were a man down? If you watched the game against the IVC, Greece played very well and hit the "woodwork" three times and had numerous chances on goal.

There are a lot of fashionable views from soccer aficionados, that IMO are becoming passe', and discounting achievements from Greece, USA, Algeria, Iran, and Costa Rica are examples. Many follow the EPL and figure they know soccer. There is a lot of good soccer played all over.
I will admit I only watched the Greece game against Colombia so much of my assessment came from that because they looked terrible. Ivory Coast should have done better and didn't but I still find it amazing that a team scores ZERO goals in their first two games and still makes it out of their group. It's frustrating to see the US score 2 goals EACH game so far and be on the cusp of being either eliminated or moving on based on what happens against a tough Germany side. I know it's all about the draw and how teams play, but it's just crazy to see. It's been a great World Cup so far, that's for sure!

Reaction Score

As for Greece, they played poorly in the first game against Colombia (arguably the 'hotttest'/best team so far). Against Japan, people forget that Greece were playing with 10 men most of the game, had as many chances on goal as Japan, and managed to get a point(tie). How many goals or points did Honduras get against France, Portugal against Germany, Italy against Uruguay, when they were a man down? If you watched the game against the IVC, Greece played very well and hit the "woodwork" three times and had numerous chances on goal.

Greece would be the worst team in Group G. And every team in Group G is better than ever team in Group H.

Reaction Score
Greece would be the worst team in Group G. And every team in Group G is better than ever team in Group H.
Well I am biased on Greece, so I will leave it at that.
I really believe, and not being a homer, that the USA is very good. I think Portugal was over hyped. Germany is the best of the group. I think that making a blanket statement, discounting all teams from group H( Belgium's group?) vs group G, is "stretching" it.

Reaction Score
I really believe, and not being a homer, that the USA is very good. I think Portugal was over hyped. Germany is the best of the group. I think that making a blanket statement, discounting all teams from group H( Belgium's group?) vs group G, is "stretching" it.

I don't think it is stretching it at all. I think every team in Group G is good. Portugal is tired and dinged up just like Spain was, they had their bells rung against Germany. They woke up against us, but you could still see that they are not 100%. Ghana is very good, Germany is the best.

Reaction Score

Belgium is good; but, they have either under performed so far or expectations for them were too high to begin with. Not sure which. Russia is frankly boring. Algeria is very physical as the US knows and can pose a threat to certain teams. S Korea is weak; but, they have at least scored a few goals unlike Russia. Unless Belgium steps up its game, I would favor both Group G teams advancing over the Group H teams.

Reaction Score
Belgium is good; but, they have either under performed so far or expectations for them were too high to begin with. Not sure which. Russia is frankly boring. Algeria is very physical as the US knows and can pose a threat to certain teams. S Korea is weak; but, they have at least scored a few goals unlike Russia. Unless Belgium steps up its game, I would favor both Group G teams advancing over the Group H teams.

USA and Belgium played a warm up game behind closed doors I think 3 or 4 days before the opening game of the tournament. I wonder what happened in that game. It would be interesting if the USA continues to advance and matches up with them again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
USA and Belgium played a warm up game behind closed doors I think 3 or 4 days before the opening game of the tournament. I wonder what happened in that game. It would be interesting if the USA continues to advance and matches up with them again.

They cancelled it. Traffic.

Reaction Score

It wasn't played .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds