OT: Bing or Google? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bing or Google?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Google creates an advertisement profile based on your information, including your location, sex, age, hobbies, career, interests, relationship status, how fat you are, and your wealth (or lack therof).

google.com/settings/ads/

some of you may be surprised at what they have listed as your interests.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
One of the students (3rd grader) at work used bing to look up some way out there pron stuff. So now you need to go to google.com on internet explorer to search for anything. It’s brutal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Google is a great search engine. But I hope none of you are signed into it. But I know that 99.9% of you are. And the things that happen with your resulting data there make facebook look quaint in comparison.

The company who's tag line was not to be evil, is the biggest evil of them all. Bing in 2019 is not Bing of 2016. It's gotten much better, and is less ad heavy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

View attachment 37875

Prodigy is how I met my current wife. Back when it was like $6/hour, I had a free account because I hosted trivia games. She laughed at my jokes, could type quickly, spell well and obviously had money to burn. Match made in heaven.

I generally use Google at home and as I have an Android, will use Google while on the job, but increasingly DuckDuckGo for personal stuff.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The company who's tag line was not to be evil, is the biggest evil of them all. Bing in 2019 is not Bing of 2016. It's gotten much better, and is less ad heavy.

Google can be positively creepy at times. However, I never got any utility from FB and am generally OK with the trade off I get from Google as it really does make my life easier. I spilled beer on my Chromebook and miss it terribly. I've been using a six year old POS Lenovo ThinkPad for the past couple months, with all the Windows/MS issues. Hate it.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If you asked any american if they would let the government and big business put a video camera and microphone on their bodies and a tracking chip under their skin they would pull rifles on you and scream about the 4th amendment.

But somehow weve lost our fricking minds and signed up willingly to do EXACTLY that. ( for the LOL "Best user experience lulz possible")

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If you asked any american if they would let the government and big business put a video camera and microphone on their bodies and a tracking chip under their skin they would pull rifles on you and scream about the 4th amendment.

But somehow weve lost our fricking minds and signed up willingly to do EXACTLY that. ( for the LOL "Best user experience lulz possible")
wiretap.png

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Bing for images
Google for info

Reaction Score

Don't let people know what alexa does. Pretty sure it keeps records of everything said in its proximity

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Come on, no thinking person actually believes deleting their search history actually deletes it from existence.
Maybe if they are a Luddite?

Reaction Score
One of the students (3rd grader) at work used bing to look up some way out there pron stuff. So now you need to go to google.com on internet explorer to search for anything. It’s brutal.
Bing is better for smut.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Don't let people know what alexa does. Pretty sure it keeps records of everything said in its proximity

Every device that works with “hey Siri” or “Alexa” is basically always listening

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Google is far and away better but i might start using duckduckgo

Google is far and away the best search engine. However, the company has the moral compass of a Third-World dictatorship and shouldn't be trusted with any of your data. First, they'll abuse it and second, they have a pretty crap track record of keeping it safe.

I do use duckduckgo.

It's fine.

Definitely not as good as Google, but good enough.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Deleted Facebook last night... untangling from Google will be a lot harder.

Reaction Score
yeah thats all thats happening.

Listen, like Polycom mentioned above most people dont care about privacy and tracking in this day and age. Thats your choice and its fine.

But I know people have no idea of what is actually gathered.

You should at least know what is happening under the hood for your "best possible experience" shouldnt you?

Here, download your data. Let me know how big your file was.

google.com/takeout
I’ve been doing SEO since I was 23 and personalization since I was 25, so I’m well aware of what’s going on behind the curtain.

Reaction Score
Coincidentally I just changed last week from Google to Bing. It’s not that Bing is that good but I wanted a change away from Google so I Googled search engines and up came Bing. The reason I went away from Google is that I very much dislike that Google only shows you what they want to. Do a search now and you don’t get page numbers at the bottom anymore you get a “More results” button. Google doesn’t want you seeing more so they make it difficult to go from the More pages back to your search. It brings you back to the original info links and what Google wants you to see. The other related searches, pictures, etc. are all links Google wants you see. This is a pain when researching many links for work or home. It feels like pure greed so bye bye Google.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coincidentally I just changed last week from Google to Bing. It’s not that Bing is that good but I wanted a change away from Google so I Googled search engines and up came Bing. The reason I went away from Google is that I very much dislike that Google only shows you what they want to. Do a search now and you don’t get page numbers at the bottom anymore you get a “More results” button. Google doesn’t want you seeing more so they make it difficult to go from the More pages back to your search. It brings you back to the original info links and what Google wants you to see. The other related searches, pictures, etc. are all links Google wants you see. This is a pain when researching many links for work or home. It feels like pure greed so bye bye Google.
Not sure what browser you use, but that’s not the case with Chrome. Maybe for an image search I guess, but even that’s only on my phone.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that’s not really true. What you described is more true about Amazon, which tends to push its own products, particularly on Alexa. And the “more results” functionality likely has to do with mobile search habits, as mobile and tablet now make up close to 60% of all searches.

While I don’t think Google only shows you what they want you to see, they’ve made a number of changes over the past few years that aim to keep users on the search results pages longer. Google makes the majority of its money on advertising; the more time users spend on search results pages, the more opportunity there is to show said users ads, which means more opportunity for users to click on ads.

Google’s claim is that providing answers and information directly in SERPs is providing people with the best experience possible - and that’s somewhat true. But it’s also helping to promote the company’s bottom line. (I suspect we’ll start seeing more advertising in voice searches for that reason.)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom