OT: Bing or Google? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Bing or Google?

Reaction Score
Not sure what browser you use, but that’s not the case with Chrome. Maybe for an image search I guess, but even that’s only on my phone.
I use Explorer on W10 at work and IOS at home. Both have the same results with Google searches.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that’s not really true. What you described is more true about Amazon, which tends to push its own products, particularly on Alexa. And the “more results” functionality likely has to do with mobile search habits, as mobile and tablet now make up close to 60% of all searches.

While I don’t think Google only shows you what they want you to see, they’ve made a number of changes over the past few years that aim to keep users on the search results pages longer. Google makes the majority of its money on advertising; the more time users spend on search results pages, the more opportunity there is to show said users ads, which means more opportunity for users to click on ads.

Google’s claim is that providing answers and information directly in SERPs is providing people with the best experience possible - and that’s somewhat true. But it’s also helping to promote the company’s bottom line. (I suspect we’ll start seeing more advertising in voice searches for that reason.)

Your second paragraph explains why it is true. Google points you towards their revenue generating ads. That’s why their search pages are now littered with Google links everywhere to more Google searches and less towards real search results. It’s also why it’s now more difficult to search deeper into searches without getting lost or being thrown back to the original page. Without search pages they can direct you around and around. It is true. Pull your head out.

Reaction Score
Do your own test. I just tried it. Do a Google search on any subject. Hit the more results button a few times and open any link on the page. Then, hit your back button to bring you back to the search. On the 5th page I hit back and Google brings you back to the original results only. I don’t know if it’s a timed thing or a number of links or pages but they make it very difficult to find more results. Doesn’t happen with Bing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TBH I don’t care if the government knows I’m a big guy.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
When I look at my activity in Google, it's empty. That's because I paused everything. I have a bunch of stuff up there, but it's mostly nondescript images and a blog I haven't looked at in years. The thing I would like to change is that skimming of e-mails for reservations. It appears one must delete the e-mails to get rid of them.
Never did the Facebook thing and I modified the host files on my computer to resolve Facebook, Instagram, etc., to 0.0.0.0, which means I see alot of "umm can't find that site" in Firefox.

Reaction Score
Dewey decimal
1546479460361.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your second paragraph explains why it is true. Google points you towards their revenue generating ads. That’s why their search pages are now littered with Google links everywhere to more Google searches and less towards real search results. It’s also why it’s now more difficult to search deeper into searches without getting lost or being thrown back to the original page. Without search pages they can direct you around and around. It is true. Pull your head out.
Do you realize how few people ever clicked past the first page?

This isn’t some grand conspiracy - the “more results” change only came after testing proved it was more widely utilized. Follow your own advice and pull your head out.

Reaction Score

This isn’t some grand conspiracy - the “more results” change only came after testing proved it was more widely utilized. Follow your own advice and pull your head out.

I agree with @FourRings on the more results thing. When I'm researching or looking for more information all i get is the same recycled links with the more results. I have to go to bing, reddit, or specialized forums forthe deeper information I'm searching for

Reaction Score

You make up whatever fits your narrative. So you work for Google now or they shared their test results with you? Go away clown. Use whatever search engine you want.

Reaction Score
You make up whatever fits your narrative. So you work for Google now or they shared their test results with you? Go away clown. Use whatever search engine you want.
Lol, what a sensitive sally you are just because someone disagrees with you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom