OT: Best resort you stayed in | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best resort you stayed in

Reaction Score
Just remember--and I'm saying this to myself as well--there's a reason it's called a "honeymoon." We vowed that we would go back and redo ours in Costa Rica for our tenth or twentieth anniversaries and of course have done neither. Maybe 25th?

In any event, I'd be most curious to hear from people who weren't on their honeymoons and had been married for a long time when they went to whatever resort they're recommending, because I'm guessing we'd all see it a little differently then than when on our respective honeymoons.

Lucky duck! Don't complain. First stop on my honeymoon was a boondoggle to Managua, Nicaragua a year after the big earthquake in 1974, Amazing that a year after people were picking through the rubble looking for valuables. As if the Nicaraguans don't have enough problems, I've heard that lake Nicaragua is home to a species of fresh water shark! I mention this in case someone is feeling particularly, personally aggrieved.

Reaction Score
My son-in-law and daughter honeymooned in Aruba and liked it a lot. They decided then and there to do Curacao for their 25th Anniversary, which is tomorrow. They are really enjoying their stay at the Santa Barbara Plantation there.

Yikes, I admit my experience is out of date by decades - but the ABCs of the Netherlands Antilles (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) Aruba has the best beaches. I had to go to Curacao and re-enter Venezuela on a non-tourist visa in order to get the equivalent of a US green card. (my husband was working for BofA in Caracas). Bonaire is the diving mecca, and Curacao was the business center.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't think it's considered a resort, but the Hilton Tel Aviv has breath taking views of the Mediterranean Sea and all the stuff you'd expect at a resort- spas, pools, multiple restaurants, personal services, etc.

Reaction Score
Windjammer, St. Lucia, was a slice of heaven.
That's where we stayed. It was great for a family vacation but I wouldn't put it up there with the ultra high end resorts people are mentioning in this thread.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Two honeymoons here.
The marriage that didn't last had a lovely one in St. Maarten. Away from the crowds and near the French side.

The marriage that is 27 years and counting, we refer to as Honeymoon Hell. Too long of a story to relate. Everything went wrong.

Reaction Score
That's where we stayed. It was great for a family vacation but I wouldn't put it up there with the ultra high end resorts people are mentioning in this thread.

68 is about 90 years old now Hoop don't ruin what was once a slice of heaven (maybe 60 years ago :eek:) with your most recent view of the same place, geez man!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Wife and I did a whirlwind sample of Australia in late November (late spring/summer): basically 3 days in each of Sydney, Uluru (Ayers Rock), and Cairns.

Of those, I wish we spent more time in Cairns. The GBR isn't going to be around much longer, and it's worth a full-day snorkel or scuba tour, or two. The scenery is beautiful, and there's a lot more you can explore in the area (rainforests, island tours). Weather was 90 and sunny every day. Of course, this time of year it might be a bit cooler or rainier.

Being out in the Outback was neat, especially if you're into extreme climates and geology, but it's touristy and you probably don't need more than 2 days. It was absolutely worth going though. It was super hot when we were there, but next week it'll be moderate. Stargazing is also supposedly incredible, but we got unlucky with clouds all 3 nights.

Sydney was interesting for the history, but overall I'm not a big city/culture person. It was great to spend a few days though, and you could occupy yourself for a week or more.
Thanks, Tenspro and Storrsroars, we have some free time in Auckland so we'll check out the aquarium. Spending some quality time in Cairns and the rainforest and got scuba certified for the GBR. Planned more days in NZ than Australia and by your reviews I'm glad we did. Spending a week on the south island which looks really cool. Just doing Sydney and Melbourne in addition to Cairns. Of course I'll be attending some bball games and recruiting for the Huskies too.

Reaction Score
When I go to the Caribbean the resort is almost irrelevant as the beach is the Priority. I love the water there and I am kind of sorry I didn't retire there. It's difficult to get there from AZ.
When I go to Cabo (two hour flight )the resort is much more important. The beaches are just okay . We stay at The Grand Solmar right st Land's End with a balcony overlooking the Pacific .

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Thanks, Tenspro and Storrsroars, we have some free time in Auckland so we'll check out the aquarium. Spending some quality time in Cairns and the rainforest and got scuba certified for the GBR. Planned more days in NZ than Australia and by your reviews I'm glad we did. Spending a week on the south island which looks really cool. Just doing Sydney and Melbourne in addition to Cairns. Of course I'll be attending some bball games and recruiting for the Huskies too.

Just don't forget the photo of your wife holding a koala!

Reaction Score
Obviously I haven't been to the really high end places. ;^)

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Dunes Lodge - Lodges & Camps - Wolwedans NamibRand Reserve - Namibia

upload_2017-5-8_13-40-7.jpeg

Lived in Namibia at the time so travel costs weren't an issue.

Reaction Score
Yikes, I admit my experience is out of date by decades - but the ABCs of the Netherlands Antilles (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) Aruba has the best beaches. I had to go to Curacao and re-enter Venezuela on a non-tourist visa in order to get the equivalent of a US green card. (my husband was working for BofA in Caracas). Bonaire is the diving mecca, and Curacao was the business center.

Bonaire is also home to some incredible windsurfers - the movie "Children of the Wind" documents one family's story.

Might want to consider this - Kamalame or Las Terrazas was good when we went there, but it's been a while - sitting on the beach is like torture for me so any place that I have to do it for 10 days and I walk away saying not bad is ok in my book - perhaps it was the rum punches and Belikin that made it enjoyable. Did catch some nice permit and bonefish and just missed the Tarpon and missed the slam.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom