OT: Best resort you stayed in | The Boneyard

OT: Best resort you stayed in

Reaction Score
My wife is away on business staying at the Samsoset resort in Rockport ME. I'm a free man!

Anyway after seeing the resort pics she sent, I know I'm going to get the request immediately upon here return to go to a resort(s) this summer/fall, hence the thread.

Mine was out in Scottsdale Arizona at the Princess: linky.

Been to some other nice ones including out in Santa Fe a nice gem called LaPosada.

For an beautiful sleeper nearby in PA we stayed at The Inn at Leola Village: Linky

So anything to share, to help out here. USA preferred also doesn't have to be luxurious (i.e. over priced). Although I expect to get ripped off, I just want to smile while they are doing it. If you must feel free to brag.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As a resort, mine is pretty clear. The Fairmont Mayakoba in Riviera Maya, just north of Playa del Carmen, Mexico.

The best straight hotel (non resort) is a tie among two I stayed at on my honeymoon. The Merrion, in Dublin and Castlegrove Country House, outside Letterkenny, Ireland, where we had the Bridal Suite (no extra charge). The Merrion is the former birthplace of the Duke of Wellington, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
For our honeymoon 5 years ago Mrs. CTMike and I stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres. Absolutely outstanding, and priced to match. We dream about going back.

Reaction Score
Carimar resort in Anguilla. Nearly as good as the super-luxury locations on the island for roughly half the price. And the food in Anguilla is better than you'll find anywhere else in the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera.

Reaction Score
My wife and I did the Secrets Maroma Beach in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for our Honeymoon. It was pretty much perfect in every way. Gorgeous beach, great pools, great food (seriously, the food was outstanding), the people were incredibly friendly, drinks were legit and not watered down, and the ambiance/grounds/vibe was amazing. We did a swim up suite that literally gives you your own private pool off your deck. I'd go back in a nanosecond.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just remember--and I'm saying this to myself as well--there's a reason it's called a "honeymoon." We vowed that we would go back and redo ours in Costa Rica for our tenth or twentieth anniversaries and of course have done neither. Maybe 25th?

In any event, I'd be most curious to hear from people who weren't on their honeymoons and had been married for a long time when they went to whatever resort they're recommending, because I'm guessing we'd all see it a little differently then than when on our respective honeymoons.

Reaction Score
My wife is away on business staying at the Samsoset resort in Rockport ME. I'm a free man!

Anyway after seeing the resort pics she sent, I know I'm going to get the request immediately upon here return to go to a resort(s) this summer/fall, hence the thread.

Mine was out in Scottsdale Arizona at the Princess: linky.

Been to some other nice ones including out in Santa Fe a nice gem called LaPosada.

For an beautiful sleeper nearby in PA we stayed at The Inn at Leola Village: Linky

So anything to share, to help out here. USA preferred also doesn't have to be luxurious (i.e. over priced). Although I expect to get ripped off, I just want to smile while they are doing it. If you must feel free to brag.

You should be with her playing golf at the Pebble Beach of New England.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
My wife and I did the Secrets Maroma Beach in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for our Honeymoon. It was pretty much perfect in every way. Gorgeous beach, great pools, great food (seriously, the food was outstanding), the people were incredibly friendly, drinks were legit and not watered down, and the ambiance/grounds/vibe was amazing. We did a swim up suite that literally gives you your own private pool off your deck. I'd go back in a nanosecond.

Ill second Maroma Beach. We stayed there the first year it had opened and it made #2 on my list only followed by a villa on St. John called Perelandra. Secrets Excellence Riviera Maya was just as awesome as Maroma but the beach wasn't as nice. Had a swim up at Excellence and goodlawd it was pretty awesome to walk out of your slider, across 12' of lawn, slide into the pool and wade over to the bar. Gotta drop that post breakfast deuce? No problem, just swim on over to your door, dry off and let er rip. No 300 yard duck walks required.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lapa Rios, Costa Rica:

88, I think about going to Costa Rica. It seems pretty diverse, from beaches, to jungle, to the volcano region. What made you decide to pull the trigger? What was your itinerary?

Reaction Score
The Caves in Negril, Jamaica. Did my honeymoon there last year. Did 4 days there and 4 days in secrets at Montego bay, which was also nice but not really my scene, and totally different experiences.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
88, I think about going to Costa Rica. It seems pretty diverse, from beaches, to jungle, to the volcano region. What made you decide to pull the trigger? What was your itinerary?
We decided on Costa Rica for our honeymoon because we wanted Hawaii but didn't have the time or the money to do it, and everyone said Costa Rica is the place for exactly that. My wife's childhood friend worked for Conde Nast and gave us a free subscription to Travel + Leisure magazine, and I read an article in there about Costa Rica that sounded perfect for us, so I contacted the outfitter that the author used and asked her to put together a suitable, very similar itinerary based on our preferences and time constraints (eight days iirc).

We flew into San Jose and stayed overnight at Hotel Grano de Oro, which was very nice and well-located in a safe corner of the city where we were able to walk out to a very nice meal. We flew out the next morning to Puerto Jiminez, where a truck picked us up and drove us to Lapa Rios, which was the centerpiece of the vacation because it was isolated and offered so much of what we were looking for. It was amazing and I can't recommend it enough; they offer a ton of stuff on and off the premises, the room is amazing, the food is great and fresh and the property is fascinating, with a great beach. I think we stayed there for three or four nights, and then we headed to another amazing property in central Costa Rica, Finca Rosa Blanca, where we stayed in the Rosa Blanca Suite for another two nights, and I felt like a king. You can visit Arenal Volcano and/or San Jose from there. We spent a day in San Jose and opted to just hang out at the property the other day because it was so luxurious and peaceful. In retrospect I wish we were able to spend more time there because it was so accommodating and wonderful. And a really excellent kitchen/restaurant and wine cellar right on the property.

Ok, now I really want to go back. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just remember--and I'm saying this to myself as well--there's a reason it's called a "honeymoon." We vowed that we would go back and redo ours in Costa Rica for our tenth or twentieth anniversaries and of course have done neither. Maybe 25th?

In any event, I'd be most curious to hear from people who weren't on their honeymoons and had been married for a long time when they went to whatever resort they're recommending, because I'm guessing we'd all see it a little differently then than when on our respective honeymoons.

I wasn't on my honeymoon when I stayed at the Mayakoba. Has the only PGA tour golf course in Mexico too.

fairmont-mayakoba-aerial-344.jpg

Reaction Score

Carimar was not our honeymoon trip. We did hit Anguilla for 1/2 of the honeymoon but it was at the Rendezvous Bay Hotel, which closed a few years after, though the Villas where we stayed have been re-opened. RBH was special. You could get a beachfront villa for less than $250 a night. Don't have the pictures handy at work but it the view was basically this --

rendezvous-bay-hotel-beach.jpg

Reaction Score
The Caves in Negril, Jamaica. Did my honeymoon there last year. Did 4 days there and 4 days in secrets at Montego bay, which was also nice but not really my scene, and totally different experiences.

I've heard great things about The Caves... We also did Secrets in Montego but we were not huge fans. Still nice, obviously, but so many odd facets to the resort imo.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What's good in Antigua? Looking at sandals for the honeymoon but if there's a cheap one that isn't awful I'd like that.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
What's good in Antigua? Looking at sandals for the honeymoon but if there's a cheap one that isn't awful I'd like that.

Just recently returned from Antigua with family. We stayed in St James Club & Villas - it was pretty good. Also ran into a bunch of UConn fans there.

Reaction Score
Because confirmation is always good...

I stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba with my wife for our first trip without our twins a number of years ago. Loved it. The only issue was that the walls were pretty thin in the rooms which I'm a bit sensitive to. But we loved it. They also drove us across to one of the other resorts in Mayakoba (Banyan Tree) which was off the charts nice, with a great restaurant. The restaurants/drinks are pricey, but better than all inclusives. Also, we really enjoyed going into Playa del Carmen, which had good, cheaper food and more authenticity.

On the other side of the spectrum was Finest Playa Mujeres. Same owner and location as Excellence, which was referenced in this thread. Horrible food, mediocre (at best) service, and lack of personality. I will say that it had only been opened for 4 months or so when we went, but it was not up to snuff.

Other great ones I've stayed at that I remember: i) Halakalani (sp?) in Oahu. Amazing oasis tucked into a crowded area. ii) Fiesta Americana Cabo San Lucas. Much better all inclusive than Finest. iii) Ritz Beaver Creek. iv) "Name your high-end resort in Phoenix/Scottsdale (and a trip to Mastros).

Reaction Score

Need to know your budget. Antigua has some amazing luxury hotels as well as more budget locations. I'm not a fan of Sandals and avoid their properties. We did the Pineapple Beach resort on a budget when I was younger and it was fine, though the food was underwhelming. If money is less of an object, try Galley Bay.

Reaction Score
Need to know your budget. Antigua has some amazing luxury hotels as well as more budget locations. I'm not a fan of Sandals and avoid their properties. We did the Pineapple Beach resort on a budget when I was younger and it was fine, though the food was underwhelming. If money is less of an object, try Galley Bay.
Whats up with Sandals? My daughter (she's single) asked me about Sandals, she's ready to flex and travel. I didn't know anything other than their ads.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We decided on Costa Rica for our honeymoon because we wanted Hawaii but didn't have the time or the money to do it, and everyone said Costa Rica is the place for exactly that. My wife's childhood friend worked for Conde Nast and gave us a free subscription to Travel + Leisure magazine, and I read an article in there about Costa Rica that sounded perfect for us, so I contacted the outfitter that the author used and asked her to put together a suitable, very similar itinerary based on our preferences and time constraints (eight days iirc).

We flew into San Jose and stayed overnight at Hotel Grano de Oro, which was very nice and well-located in a safe corner of the city where we were able to walk out to a very nice meal. We flew out the next morning to Puerto Jiminez, where a truck picked us up and drove us to Lapa Rios, which was the centerpiece of the vacation because it was isolated and offered so much of what we were looking for. It was amazing and I can't recommend it enough; they offer a ton of stuff on and off the premises, the room is amazing, the food is great and fresh and the property is fascinating, with a great beach. I think we stayed there for three or four nights, and then we headed to another amazing property in central Costa Rica, Finca Rosa Blanca, where we stayed in the Rosa Blanca Suite for another two nights, and I felt like a king. You can visit Arenal Volcano and/or San Jose from there. We spent a day in San Jose and opted to just hang out at the property the other day because it was so luxurious and peaceful. In retrospect I wish we were able to spend more time there because it was so accommodating and wonderful. And a really excellent kitchen/restaurant and wine cellar right on the property.

Ok, now I really want to go back. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Empty trip

I see no mention of Jaco, lady boys or, 10 dollar a gram, 99 percent pure Cocaine, so I question whether you actually entered Costa Rica.

Reaction Score
Whats up with Sandals? My daughter (she's single) asked me about Sandals, she's ready to flex and travel. I didn't know anything other than their ads.

The conditions of the resorts vary greatly, but more than that I find the food to be really average (though to be fair a lot of all-inclusives suffer from that). I also tend to like quieter places. Sandals resorts are generally massive and sterile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom