OT: Best Mexican/Spanish Restaurants in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Mexican/Spanish Restaurants in CT

Reaction Score
also... fresh taco downtown in new haven. looks like a chinese takeout spot and is run by a chinese family, but they make dirt-cheap tex/mex tacos with made-to-order fresh flour tortillas. such an underrated spot.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Hidden gem- Tacos La Rosa in Willimantic.
The most authentic Mexican I've ever had. It is delicious. They make everything homemade. The Pork Huarache is unbelievably good.
If you are ever in the area of Storrs/Willimantic and want a quick bite and like Mexican, then there's your place.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The last time I went to El Sarape, there was a double shooting across the street 2 days later. I only go on weekdays for lunch.
Have you recovered yet?

Reaction Score
The most authentic Mexican I've ever had. It is delicious. They make everything homemade. The Pork Huarache is unbelievably good.
If you are ever in the area of Storrs/Willimantic and want a quick bite and like Mexican, then there's your place.

ah man, tacos la rosa rules. definitely a storrs-area standout.

Reaction Score
The last time I went to El Sarape, there was a double shooting across the street 2 days later. I only go on weekdays for lunch.

Right across from Hartford Juvenile? I know a couple of guys who work at that location. They can hear gunshots quite frequently from inside that massive building.

Reaction Score
Right across from Hartford Juvenile? I know a couple of guys who work at that location. They can hear gunshots quite frequently from inside that massive building.

Yes. And before it was a juvenile detention center, I lived there. It was called Brady Court or something. I was maybe 3-4 yrs old and we got booted out because they were building that center there.

Reaction Score
Went to college in New Mexico so needless to say, there isn't anything remotely close to replicating what I ate out there.

Sayulita is probably the best I've had in Connecticut. Don't care for Bar Taco or Besito.

Sayulita is modernized Mexican but they do a great job of bringing flavor to life and they have some innovative items on the menu.

Coyote Flaco is good, could be a lot better if they could/would spice things up. They are catering to a lot of people who want cheese dumped on everything.

Starting a new job in New Haven in a couple weeks, looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

Crap, I forgot about Sayulita. I'm far from a Mexican aficionado, but that place was damn good. The Jalapeno Margarita is dangerously good, too.

Reaction Score

Don't think many of us are in the Storrs willimantic area often:rolleyes:

I like Besito is West Hartford. Good quality food, great frozen margs. And they give out churros at the end

Reaction Score
On queen st and the boarder of Plainville-southington is a good spanish place. I was to drunk to remember the name

Reaction Score
If there isnt at least the slight threat of violence when getting authentic tacos, you arent getting authentic tacos.

Its like trying to get a great Jamaican Beef Patty without dodging a mugging.
Dude, you sound like Deepster. The two of you should wrap yourselves in bubble wrap every time you leave the house.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I mean Pancho Loco was insane portions on the cheap and strong margs. Not sure it's "good" though.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Dude, you sound like Deepster. The two of you should wrap yourselves in bubble wrap every time you leave the house.

I relish the challenge, I dont shirk from it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If there isnt at least the slight threat of violence food poisoning when getting authentic tacos, you arent getting authentic tacos.

This is far more accurate. Cross contamination and improper holding temps are rife. Some of our best places out here are constant offenders. Never stopped me from eating there.

However, the concept of "authentic" is overblown and mostly inaccurate. Proteins in Mexico taste different than in the US, especially chicken and to a lesser extent beef/pork. Seasoning is different. Tortillas are almost universally corn for tacos and two really greasy ones are used for each taco. Toppings are typically determined by the protein and aren't loaded up to overflowing.

Reaction Score
Red pork huarache from Tacos la Rosa was a staple as a UConn student. Love that place.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Haven't been there in a while, but Monte Alban on Farmington Ave in Hartford was a favorite. Masa was good and the enchiladas oaxaquenas were really good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom