shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Spanish: Barcelona's in West Hartford
Mexican: Bar Taco in West Hartford and Puerto Vallarta in Avon

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Coyote Flaco in Hartford or El Sarape near Park/Broad St if you want authentic items like beef tongue tacos.

I second the coyote flaco call.

Reaction Score
Coyote Flaco in Hartford or El Sarape near Park/Broad St if you want authentic items like beef tongue tacos.

Mexican: El Sarape is really really good. Small Tacqueria in West Hartford called Los Adobes is also very good.

Spanish: Costa Del Sol

Reaction Score
Spanish: Barcelona's in West Hartford
Mexican: Bar Taco in West Hartford and Puerto Vallarta in Avon

Me gusta mucho Barcelona's y Bar Taco. Puerto Vallarta es mas o menos pero las camareras son muy simpaticos.

Reaction Score
As a kid, I loved the Cuckoo's Nest in Old Saybrook. Last time I went, though, it was awful... So either my palate has changed, it has changed, or it is another example my youth being dead.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
As a kid, I loved the Cuckoo's Nest in Old Saybrook. Last time I went, though, it was awful... So either my palate has changed, it has changed, or it is another example my youth being dead.

It's totally changed. It was never really authentic but in the 80s and early 90s it was really good food and 1/2 menu was Cajun.

Now it may be the worst restaurant in the state not exaggerating. They use American cheese in Mexican dishes.

Reaction Score
It's totally changed. It was never really authentic but in the 80s and early 90s it was really good food and 1/2 menu was Cajun.

Now it may be the worst restaurant in the state not exaggerating. They use American cheese in Mexican dishes.

But.... I used to love those authentic "Mexi-skins..."

Reaction Score

yes! Cuckoo's Nest tanked like 12 years ago. Not sure why.

Mezcal in New Haven is my current favorite. And the taco trucks along Long Wharf have some good stuff. Senor Salsa is pretty good fast food in Fairfield and Westport. The shoreline is pretty dead from New Haven to the Atlantic Ocean.

Reaction Score
We had a Coyote Flaco in BPT by my house, which was ok but overrated and went out of business, only to be replaced by Ola, which is amazing IMO, but does terribly as well and will likely close. Bar Taco and Barcelona are good but nothing special. Not Mexican at all, at least Barcelona. Bodega in Fairfield is in the same vein, but good. I liked Rio Bravo in FFLD and WPT on the few occasions I ate there.

Reaction Score
I'll take Puerto Rican food over Spanish/Mexican any day.

With that said, El Coquito in Bridgeport has amazing food and tropical ice cream.
It's more of a take-out than eat-in place though if that is what you're looking for.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
yes! Cuckoo's Nest tanked like 12 years ago. Not sure why.

Mezcal in New Haven is my current favorite. And the taco trucks along Long Wharf have some good stuff. Senor Salsa is pretty good fast food in Fairfield and Westport. The shoreline is pretty dead from New Haven to the Atlantic Ocean.
Seconding Mezcal. My coworkers wife is Mexican and she gave her approval. The owner sometimes goes table to table and drinks mezcal with the patrons.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Arby's.

If Arby's got in the taco business there is no doubt that it would be better than 90 percent of CT tacos.

Just like their smokehouse offerings are better than CT BBQ.

Arby's 4 lyphe

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Haven't given one thought to eating Mexican in New England since the Forest Cafe in Cambridge closed a few years ago. Disappointed to learn Maya in NYC had to add tacos to their menu because people believe that's the be-all-and-end-all of Mexican food. Maya used to be an excellent sit-down restaurant, similar to the experience of having a business dinner or lunch in Mexico City. Now it seems dumbed down.

This happens to be a cuisine I know very well (lived and worked there) and I can probably make most dishes as well as your abueleta.

Beef tongue (lengua) tacos are certainly a start toward "authenticity" (an impossible goal, given local ingredients), but do let me know when grasshopper tacos (chapulines) hit the menu. Or even simpler dishes like a decent red snapper veracruzana or grilled octopus in chipotle. Or hell, pretty much any seafood or fish not served in a tortilla.

Pro Tip: if the menu contains a list of combo plates with numbers and everything comes with sides of rice and frijoles, it ain't authentic and it likely isn't any good.

I did like Barcelona in Norwalk for tapas. Haven't been there in a decade though. Some tapas bar out there really needs to add fish cheeks in garlic though.

I'm a worse Mexican food snob than even a pizza snob.

EDIT: I looked at the menu for Mezcal. It's close to what I'm thinking of... I'd give it a try if I'm out there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Went to college in New Mexico so needless to say, there isn't anything remotely close to replicating what I ate out there.

Sayulita is probably the best I've had in Connecticut. Don't care for Bar Taco or Besito.

Sayulita is modernized Mexican but they do a great job of bringing flavor to life and they have some innovative items on the menu.

Coyote Flaco is good, could be a lot better if they could/would spice things up. They are catering to a lot of people who want cheese dumped on everything.

Starting a new job in New Haven in a couple weeks, looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom