OT - Best Meal of the Day | The Boneyard

OT - Best Meal of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
breakfast, lunch or dinner... I enjoy breakfast the most: grits, sausage, eggs, biscuits and a tall glass of OJ

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
breakfast, lunch or dinner... I enjoy breakfast the most: grits, sausage, eggs, biscuits and a tall glass of OJ
Used to love breakfast the most. After the heart surgery, eh it's boring now.

(on occasion or used to, I'll have a good one, western omelet, bacon, hashbrowns, pancakes, mmmm. But that usually becomes breakfast, lunch and dinner for the day ;))

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Except for Sunday mornings breakfast is black coffee for me. Dinner is the best meal of the day. Wife and I usually prepare it together along with a glass or two of wine. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Grits????

We once had an intern born in Africa who went on a business trip to LA and asked our location manager for a good soul food restaurant recommendation. After returning, he called the manager up, thanked him for the great suggestion, commended all the food - except grits, which he went on a 5 minute rant informing the manager what exactly he thought of grits. It was hysterical.

Breakfast for me too, by the way, although I'm not supposed to over-indulge. But at least once a week, maybe twice and more if traveling. My current fav is a Spanish Omlette, potatoes, tomatoes at the "Good Egg" here in Tucson. Usually a Monday or Tuesday thing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yup. Can't stand Grits. Love Cream of Wheat. Can't stand Grits.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Strangely enough, my son likes grits. Raised here in NE, not even sure when he had them. But he said he likes them.

Myself, having actually lived in the south a few years, never liked them. Agreed, Cream of Wheat I can do.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

funny-gifs-batman-is-disappointed.gif

Had a bowl of grits this morning...... plenty of salt and butter :) Its almost mandatory to get grits for breakfast if you go to a restaurant to eat. I've never made it in my life, never had a desire to make them. I think I bought some cream of wheat a few years ago... made a bowl.... ate two spoonfuls.... and tossed the rest in the trash.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
"What've we always said is the most important thing?"

"Breakfast?"

"Family."

"Oh, right. Family. I thought you meant of the things you eat."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
View attachment 2834

Had a bowl of grits this morning...... plenty of salt and butter :) Its almost mandatory to get grits for breakfast if you go to a restaurant to eat. I've never made it in my life, never had a desire to make them. I think I bought some cream of wheat a few years ago... made a bowl.... ate two spoonfuls.... and tossed the rest in the trash.
gotta drop some cheese in those grits and they're pretty easy to make, scary but easy. oatmeal.... ewwww

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
All depends. Usually, it's dinner, because I'm "the cooker" in the house, and I've got the tunes on a bit too loud, and an open bottle of red wine to accompany me and my magical cusine.

however, on a cold winter day, particularly when doing something outside like skiing or shoveling snow, it's real hard to beat a breakfast stack of jonnycakes, maple syrup, butter, and bacon..and OJ..and coffee...and, then, a nap!:)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Grits - Its beyond me why anyone would eat something that you have to load up with additives to make it semi palatable. Grits n' cheese, grits n' butter, grits n' syrup, grits n' gravy. I lived for 8 years in the low country and I'm proud to say "I ain't never et no grits."

However, I'll admit to over indulging on bisquits and sausage gravy.

Is bacon the best breakfast food ever?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
gotta drop some cheese in those grits and they're pretty easy to make, scary but easy. oatmeal.... ewwww

There is a Restaurant chain in central NC named Biscuitville. They are only open from 5:30am-2pm every day. They have great grits... you have the option of adding a slice of american cheese, or my favorite... shredded cheddar cheese.

They have a new limited edition item.... A bacon biscuit topped with PIMENTO CHEESE :D Havent tried it yet... but when I do.. I'll probably order two... just in case the first one is fabulous. If the first one is awful... then i'll have just wasted my money, but what are the odds of that. Do they even have Pimento cheese in the North?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Grits - Its beyond me why anyone would eat something that you have to load up with additives to make it semi palatable. Grits n' cheese, grits n' butter, grits n' syrup, grits n' gravy. I lived for 8 years in the low country and I'm proud to say "I ain't never et no grits."

However, I'll admit to over indulging on bisquits and sausage gravy.

Is bacon the best breakfast food ever?
most items require an additive... salt & pepper etc. what do people add to oatmeal?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I like dinner best, because it's the meal with my wife and son.
Regarding breakfast foods ... I am the only person i know who likes farina.

Reaction Score
I eat oatmeal almost every day, 3 oz. non-fat strawberry greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, blueberries, drizzle of maple syrup. It has lowered my cholestrol to where I'm statin free at age 58.

I would kill for a ham and cheese omelette with a side of sausage, home fries, some pancakes smothered in butter and maple syrup...and black coffee.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There is a Restaurant chain in central NC named Biscuitville. They are only open from 5:30am-2pm every day. They have great grits... you have the option of adding a slice of american cheese, or my favorite... shredded cheddar cheese.

They have a new limited edition item.... A bacon biscuit topped with PIMENTO CHEESE :D Havent tried it yet... but when I do.. I'll probably order two... just in case the first one is fabulous. If the first one is awful... then i'll have just wasted my money, but what are the odds of that. Do they even have Pimento cheese in the North?
My 93 year old mother eats Kraft Pimento Cheese. We have to keep her supplied. Yes they had it up north and here in AZ (unlike some other things we don't have).

And I'm with the sentiments of "everything is better with bacon" and that Sausage and Gravy is a much better southern contribution to breakfast than grits.

Reaction Score
Best meal of the day? Whichever meal I happen to be eating at any given moment. I'm not fussy.:)

Reaction Score
I like breakfast for breakfast, lunch and dinner! My heart, on the other hand, prefers I not indulge quite so heavily in the eggs and bacon.

My favorite breakfast? Eggs Benedict. English muffin, canadian bacon, poached egg, and hollandaise sauce. YUMMY!

I love cream of wheat with a couple tablespoons of brown sugar and some milk. I was thrilled to see it one day at the cafeteria at work. So, I put about a cup of it in the little styrofoam bowl, added the brown sugar, then happily took it back to my desk. I took one spoonful, and promptly spit it out. Turned out it was grits, not cream of wheat. Brown sugar does nothing to improve the taste of grits.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
anybody does waffles instead of pancakes or vice versa?

Reaction Score
Old fashioned oatmeal, cooked with diced apples, a little brown sugar and cinnamon on top. Its like having apple pie for breakfast every morning.

Reaction Score
Once a week out to the chicken coop for my fresh eggs, eight egg whites, two whole, little onion sauted in olive oil, italian bread toasted. enough for two. yum

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I'm a waffles over pancakes guy.
Back when I was younger and could eat anything, I used to love waffles for lunch, too. But instead of eating them with syrup and a knife and fork, I would use them as the bread of a super sandwich. Peanut butter and jelly on hot waffles is amazing. You need to be sure to cook the waffles until they are firm and a little crusty. The peanut butter melts in the waffle crevices and the jelly is a cool complement to the warmth. Add a couple of glasses of milk, and .... ah the memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom