OT: Best Fish and Chips in CT ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Fish and Chips in CT ?

Reaction Score
But from what I have seen and experienced Americans are the most likely to seek out creature comforts from home, including McDonald's and stuff like that. For sure not just a Brit thing. Found them to be more open about trying the local cuisine in fact.
If I had to eat British food all the time I'd be very open to trying other local cuisine also!

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Looking for authentic Brit style, she has been in CT since 1994 and has not found a great one thus far in CT.
Arthur Treacher's.

Someone had to say it.

Reaction Score
If I had to eat British food all the time I'd be very open to trying other local cuisine also!
To be fair they have some nice curry dishes, they took Indian, made a few changes and made it their own.

Reaction Score
When I lived in Mexico City there were three Taco Bells there. I wondered how they could exist in a city of a million great tacos. Turns out it was mostly American tourists. And some Mexican kids who wanted "American fast food".

Might as well take 'em to an Indian restaurant too. Not like Indian/Paki food in UK beats the snot out of US, right?

I had a British roomate for a minute and he always wondered why were talking about going to see the Pakistanis. Meanwhile, its Friday and Saturday and we are telling him we gotta make a run to the Packy.

Reaction Score
I live in Mexico currently and, as to my understanding Mexicans would never let a taco Bell happen....rightfully so. my wife's friend lives in cdmx, no taco Bell according to her and the cdmx fbook page I am part of seems to confirm that. I have heard ppl from the states crave taco Bell however..all I could think was "are you nuts?? Food in cdmx and Puebla is incredible!"

But from what I have seen and experienced Americans are the most likely to seek out creature comforts from home, including McDonald's and stuff like that. For sure not just a Brit thing. Found them to be more open about trying the local cuisine in fact.
You live in Puebla?

Reaction Score
Fried fish is a balanced meal. You take a good heart healthy piece of fish and balance it with the not so hearth healthy act of deep frying.

Reaction Score
Kinda half joking here but that Big Y makes a hella Fish and Chips.

You aren’t kidding. Don’t be ashamed, it’s pretty famous. One of the more surprising things I’ve come across.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Any toddler with access to a commercial deep-fryer can make a perfectly acceptable plate of fish and chips.

Reaction Score
Idk. The Ivy started to change all that and then Aubergine and OxO put London big time on the map. You can get great food in London now.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Westfair Fish & Chips in Westport. I grew up on Lenny & Joe's in Madison. This is better. One guy been operating for years. Hidden gem. Thank me later.
Good call.
And not far beyond the western border of Westport, there is Royal Guard Fish & Chips on the Post Road in Norwalk. Fried chicken & Indo-Pak food as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I live in Mexico currently and, as to my understanding Mexicans would never let a taco Bell happen....rightfully so. my wife's friend lives in cdmx, no taco Bell according to her and the cdmx fbook page I am part of seems to confirm that. I have heard ppl from the states crave taco Bell however..all I could think was "are you nuts?? Food in cdmx and Puebla is incredible!"

I lived there in 93-94, so the timeline fits... I distinctly recall one being across the street from the Liverpool store where I bought my washer & dryer.

From "5 Things You Didn't Know About Taco Bell":
Taco Bell has tried to enter the Mexican market twice and failed both times
Although Americans view Taco Bell's food as great-tasting "Mexican" food, Residents in Mexico view Taco Bell's food differently. Taco Bell first tried to enter the Mexican market in 1992, but its restaurants all closed within two years. Taco Bell tried again in 2007 to successfully open a restaurant in Mexico City. This time, the company made sure to heavily emphasize the fact that Taco Bell's food is very much "Americanized;" thus, adding French fries to the menu. Unfortunately, this strategy also failed, and the Mexico City Taco Bell closed down in 2010. For those who have experienced authentic, Mexican food, the taste of Taco Bell's menu does not go over well, and for Mexico's residents, this is the case – they want nothing to do with Taco Bell.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Any toddler with access to a commercial deep-fryer can make a perfectly acceptable plate of fish and chips.

Only if they have malt vinegar.

I've only had F&C in the UK twice. Best was in Edinburgh. Pretty sure it was pollock. Haven't had F&C in USA that matched it, but a few that were pretty close, including here in Pgh at Piper's Pub.

Royal Guard was a good call. I'm trying to remember if that was originally an Arthur Treachers. I know there was an Arthur Treachers in Glenbrook (converted from a Wetson's!), but fuzzy on whether one in Shippan too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Idk. The Ivy started to change all that and then Aubergine and OxO put London big time on the map. You can get great food in London now.

Heston Blumenthal of Fat Duck is every bit the chef as Keller or Aschatz or whomever you can think of. Yeah, lots of good places these days. And coffee is gaining on tea... it's like civilization!

Reaction Score
I had a British roomate for a minute and he always wondered why were talking about going to see the Pakistanis. Meanwhile, its Friday and Saturday and we are telling him we gotta make a run to the Packy.
Derogatory term.

Reaction Score
You aren’t kidding. Don’t be ashamed, it’s pretty famous. One of the more surprising things I’ve come across.
Not fish but I’m embarrassed to say that Royal Farms which is basically a GAS STATION with a nice convenience store makes some of the best fried chicken I’ve ever had. No freaking joke. With biscuits. Did a little road trip to Annapolis with my last boyfriend and we needed to stop for gas and lunch. We got gas first and we were going to go across the highway to this diner... he came outside to ask if we could try this chicken instead because it smelled amazing.
It was ridiculously good. They had picnic tables which removed the “eating at a gas station” vibe a little. He and I count it as one of our best dates standalone - that’s how good the chicken was. So no judgment on the Big Y fish!
So if you’re in Maryland and now outside Philly, check out Royal Farms!

Reaction Score
Only if they have malt vinegar.

I've only had F&C in the UK twice. Best was in Edinburgh. Pretty sure it was pollock. Haven't had F&C in USA that matched it, but a few that were pretty close, including here in Pgh at Piper's Pub.

Royal Guard was a good call. I'm trying to remember if that was originally an Arthur Treachers. I know there was an Arthur Treachers in Glenbrook (converted from a Wetson's!), but fuzzy on whether one in Shippan too.
I feel like there was one when I lived in the Cove... it may be closed now. But I vaguely remember driving by it in Shippan.
I don’t eat fish - I used to only eat fish as a small child (weirdo) and I got food poisoning and I guess it’s like puking on certain alcohols... you can’t drink/eat it again.

London actually ruined F&C for my daughter. First time I took her, out first meal after we landed was at our hotel. It’s a Marriott. They bring her F&C that look normal. She’s cutting it and I notice after she’s taken a few bites that the fish hasn’t been scaled... but I’m not going to say anything. I’m like “maybe that’s how they do it here and I don’t want to ruin it for her. And she’s eating it. And then we’re going to take a nap.” She takes like two more bites and is making faces and starts investigating... eats a few fries and is finished. Asks my cousin’s husband (born and raised there, public school guy) if that’s normal. He’s like, “No. MY GOD, NO!”
So British F&C ruined it for her. And all fish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom