OT- Best athletes ever from CT. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Best athletes ever from CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Add Johnny Egan to that list along with Super John Williamson.

Reaction Score
According to SI, the top-50 as of 1999:

1. Jenner
2. Young
That list reads more like a "most accomplished" list, after Jenner and Young.
Greatest Athlete is a different measure.
Being a great X player does not make you a great all around athlete.

I go with Scott Burrel - guy was a freak althlete who won an NBA title despite being slowed down by injuries. Easily could have been a Major League baseball pitcher. Drafted 1st round in two major sports - the only player in the history of the planet to do that.

No offense, but there is no way on G-d's green earth that Nykessha Sales or Charles Smith is a better "athlete" than Scotty because of success in playing a single sport in college.

Reaction Score

I go with Scott Burrel - guy was a freak althlete who won an NBA title despite being slowed down by injuries. Easily could have been a Major League baseball pitcher. Drafted 1st round in two major sports - the only player in the history of the planet to do that.

No offense, but there is no way on G-d's green earth that Nykessha Sales or Charles Smith is a better "athlete" than Scotty because of success in playing a single sport in college.

Think the S.I. list came from their readership/fan poll

Reaction Score
Willie Pep. Pound for pound the greatest boxer ever. Tough to go against Bruce Jenner though.Lindy Remigino. These guys are world champs.

Reaction Score
I'm a Norwalk guy. So I have to say: Calvin Murphy, Mo Vaughn or Silas Redd. But never would I put Randy LaJoie in the same sentence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A tie: Walt Dropo, Bobby Valentine and Scott Burrell

Was wondering if Walt would get some love. It's well deserved.

CL82

Reaction Score
I vote for Scott Burrell. As we sit in basketball purgatory lets remember one of the greatest moments in UConn basketball history. Yes this vid has been played ad nauseam (assuming the vid even posts here LOL) but Burrell is my bias choice.

Funny thing is for us die hard UConn fans we all remember where we were when "The Shot" was made. Man seems like yesterday...

It just never gets old does it?

CL82

Reaction Score

While at UConn, Dropo played for the football team, basketball team and baseball team. Dropo was drafted in basketball and football and oh yeah, he was American League rookie of the year for the Red Sox.
  • Rookie of the Year (1950)
  • All-Star (1950)
  • Top 10 MVP (sixth, 1950)
  • Led league in RBIs (144, 1950)
  • Led league in total bases (326, 1950)
  • Tied an MLB record with 12 consecutive at-bats with a hit (July 15, 1952)
  • Tied an MLB record with 12 consecutive plate appearances with a hit (July 15, 1952)
  • Tied an AL record with 15 hits in four games (July 16, 1952)
  • Dropo was the first rookie to top 100 RBIs with more RBIs than games played (144 in 136 games, 1950)
LINKY

Reaction Score
I would say Dropo may be the best "athlete" now that I saw the facts............impressive!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As far as "athlete" in quotation marks, I don't see anyone better than Calvin Murphy. High school and college phenom, NBA all-star and free throw leader. Add being a world class baton twirler, the fact that he took on and beat-up a guy a foot taller than him (Sidney Wicks) and also having at least 14 kids shows all-around athleticism.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
No one said Marlon Starling yet?
I was a huge fan of Hartford's own, former world welterweight champ, "Moochie" Marlon Starling, as a kid and still am. His knock-out of the golden-boy Mark Breland was epic. Also, he would have been champ longer but got knocked out by Molinares with a punch well after the bell and the corrupt Mexican-run WBA refused to overturn the decision. It was one of the worst injustices I've seen in boxing and that's saying something...I even wrote a complaint letter to the WBA.

Reaction Score
I got 2 go with Marlon Starling and Micheal Adams, all of us grew up in da old brick house Belleuve Sq, Moochie was one hell of a boxer, and boy could Mike shoot it

Reaction Score
I would say Dropo may be the best "athlete" now that I saw the facts............impressive!!

Can't omit Julius Boros, (18 PGA wins with 2 U.S. Opens), or Bill Twomey, Decathalon gold medal winner, 68 Olympics.

Reaction Score
What about Nick Pietrosante? Grew up in Ansonia, was an all-stater at Notre Dame of West Haven, star fullback for Notre Dame University, drafted in first round by the Detroit Lions, played nine years in the NFL and was an all-pro fullback.

Reaction Score
Donn Cabral from Glastonbury should be on this list. 22 year old Princeton grad who is currently in England right now competing in the Olympics for our country. The greatest high school cross country runner ever in the state, arguably the greatest 2 miler (track event) to come out of our state, numerous all american selections his junior and senior year in HS. Then he goes off to Princeton (because hes also a brain) where he wins a D1 National Championship 2 years in a row in the 3k steeplechase (arguably the hardest track event there is) then goes off and finishes second in that event at the Olympic qualifying race. Now hes one of the favorites to take it home for our country. He races Friday morning. Donn Cabral. Sky is the limit for how far this kid can go. Definetely a great athlete from CT.

Reaction Score
Should mention Liz Mueller, Waterford Greatest high school Cross Country runner Female 4 CT championships 4 new England and 1 National Cross Championship,, Later won USA Amatuer Boxing Championships and a Professional World Championship... That said I'ld vote for Calvin M or Willie Pep...

Reaction Score
I remember Liz Mueller, she was a few classes ahead of me, she would win her races by a couple minutes, best high school runner in the country.

Reaction Score
Bruce Jenner (olympic gold, Calvin Murphy (hall of fame), Bill Rodgers (maybe greatest american runner)...
add Steve Young (hall of fame), Dorathy Hammil (olympic gold), Willie Pep & Marlon Starling (world champions), Joan Joyce (best player EVER in her sport, and arguably one of the 5 best american female athletes ever.), Kristine Lilly (4 world cups) , Brian Leetch (hall of fame). Sorry but Bagwell with no world series rings or hall of fame (I think he belongs) doesn't make the top 10 yet. Freeney has a ring, and should make the hall should eventually make the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom