OT BBQ and Grilling - Traeger - *First Cook Update* | The Boneyard

OT BBQ and Grilling - Traeger - *First Cook Update*

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Traeger pellet grill but wanted to get any feedback from here. I'm looking at the Ironwood 885 pellet grill.

I know some folks will tell me I need to go with a hardwood smoker to get the best, but if I can get 95% of competition like BBQ from the pellet grill, I'm good with that. I have neither the time or expertise to run hardwood for 3 to 12 hours at a time for a specific cook.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Reaction Score
Make sure you buy summa deez:

jerk-pellets.jpg

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Buy a Traeger and build yourself a hardwood smoker. Google directions to build yourself an Ugly Drum Smoker. Cheap and turns out top quality bbq. Best of both worlds.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Traeger pellet grill but wanted to get any feedback from here. I'm looking at the Ironwood 885 pellet grill.

I know some folks will tell me I need to go with a hardwood smoker to get the best, but if I can get 95% of competition like BBQ from the pellet grill, I'm good with that. I have neither the time or expertise to run hardwood for 3 to 12 hours at a time for a specific cook.

As long as the tofu's extra firm, you should be OK.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Pull the trigger it’s a great unit.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I own a Green Mountain Grill, a traeger competitor. A better machine at a better price. They just came out with a new "prime" series with good upgrades, too.

UConn bonus - the dealer in Brookfield is the Lutrus family.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Buy a Traeger and build yourself a hardwood smoker. Google directions to build yourself an Ugly Drum Smoker. Cheap and turns out top quality bbq. Best of both worlds.

A friend of mine who is what I'd call a very good non competition BBQ guy built something like an Ugly Drum Smoker and absolutely loves it. Holds temps amazingly well.

I've heard Traeger is pretty solid. My KC based friends who do competitions use the oil drum smokers you tow behind your pickup.

Reaction Score
We love our Traeger. Have had it for 3 years.

Even though we use it all year it's especially useful in the summer when the AZ temps keep us from turning our oven on.

Still use the gas grill for things like steak & chicken breast but, for cooking prime rib, brisket and even whole chickens & turkey the Traeger is amazing.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My in laws live with us part of the year and in short we have an abundance of grills... two Weber Genesis, a Weber Q, and a Weber kettle that I use for smoking various meats. Wondering if we’d be better off selling one of the Genesis and the kettle to get the Traeger...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My in laws live with us part of the year and in short we have an abundance of grills... two Weber Genesis, a Weber Q, and a Weber kettle that I use for smoking various meats. Wondering if we’d be better off selling one of the Genesis and the kettle to get the Traeger...

What kind of monster sells a Weber kettle?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What kind of monster sells a Weber kettle?
I end up using it 2-3 times a year when I feel up for smoking pork/ribs/chicken/etc. I have a Smokenator insert for it and it’s made some delicious meats. But it’s fiddly and messy and I’m kind of drawn to the “set it and forget it” the Traeger can provide. If I’m grilling I just fire up the Genesis for convenience.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I end up using it 2-3 times a year when I feel up for smoking pork/ribs/chicken/etc. I have a Smokenator insert for it and it’s made some delicious meats. But it’s fiddly and messy and I’m kind of drawn to the “set it and forget it” the Traeger can provide. If I’m grilling I just fire up the Genesis for convenience.

I'm a charcoal die-hard, admittedly, so selling a kettle (probably for peanuts) is blasphemy to me.

If i need something quick - my kettle with a chimney starter is fast enough. Sure, a genesis would be faster and a little less time-consuming, but it's also much more expensive and finnicky.

Ever since i got my pellet grill, the kettle has only seen quick things. Anything low-and-slow goes to the pellet, as it does a great job.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker and recently replaced my Genesis with a new one. I'm not sure a giant monster like a Traeger is something you buy just to smoke, when you already have a Genesis (or two). Especially if you like set it and forget it.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I have heard nothing but great things about the Traeger. I wanted the one that you could start remotely but with a kid heading to college and another one right behind, I have to wait until schools are paid for!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
When can you try the Traeger Pulled Pork?
Hopefully it arrives next Friday. I'll do a couple of simple things first like Ribeyes and then ramp up to ribs and then a brisket and pork butt.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I see Ace HArdware is selling Traeger stuff. Dumb question...are these certified Traeger items? Or, like Lowes and Home Depot, Traeger grills with non-Traeger parts?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

I also have a Masterbuilt smoker (propane fired) to go with my Genesis. Got the smoker for Christmas and have already used it 6+ times. Ribs and beef tenderloin smoked is delicious!

Reaction Score
I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker and recently replaced my Genesis with a new one. I'm not sure a giant monster like a Traeger is something you buy just to smoke, when you already have a Genesis (or two). Especially if you like set it and forget it.
I have a Masterbuilt also. Does a good job for my purposes. Set it and walk away...easy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom