OT BBQ and Grilling - Traeger - *First Cook Update* | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT BBQ and Grilling - Traeger - *First Cook Update*

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Has anyone gotten in to the flat iron diner type griddle grills?

I know one or two people who have gotten them and they're happy with what they can do with it.

Definitely some limits but for an amateur it can work.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Got it built, seasoned and did my first cook today. Started simple with some bone-in rib-eyes and a whole chicken. Cooked the rib-eyes at 225 until 110 degrees and then seared at 500 4 minutes per side for a perfect 130 degree medium rare before resting (actually, I'll probably do 3 minutes per side to about 127 next time). Simply fantastic flavor and juicy. Cooked the chicken at 375 to 160 degrees, but haven't tasted that yet. Used hickory pellets for both. Super easy - super fun.

If you are thinking about investing in one of these, I will highly recommend it at this point. Rather easy to put together, though you will need two people for certain parts. Took about an hour. The biggest issue is the amount of cardboard you have to deal with. Really easy to use. Just be prepared that cooking time is much longer than you would do on a regular grill. But considering you just put the meat on and walk away to watch the PGA, the extra time really shouldn't be an issue if you plan well. The phone app is a little wonky and has some glitches, but does give you control/monitoring over the grill without walking out to it.

Finally, they obviously put time into packaging and know their target market. The packing material converts into a beer holder while you are building it and the outer box converts into a fort for the little ones (or in Boneyard parlance For tfor hte ittle owns).

Traeger.jpg

Gonna do a prime rib for Memorial Day. Ribs and pork stuff following that.

Reaction Score
Got it built, seasoned and did my first cook today. Started simple with some bone-in rib-eyes and a whole chicken. Cooked the rib-eyes at 225 until 110 degrees and then seared at 500 4 minutes per side for a perfect 130 degree medium rare before resting (actually, I'll probably do 3 minutes per side to about 127 next time). Simply fantastic flavor and juicy. Cooked the chicken at 375 to 160 degrees, but haven't tasted that yet. Used hickory pellets for both. Super easy - super fun.

If you are thinking about investing in one of these, I will highly recommend it at this point. Rather easy to put together, though you will need two people for certain parts. Took about an hour. The biggest issue is the amount of cardboard you have to deal with. Really easy to use. Just be prepared that cooking time is much longer than you would do on a regular grill. But considering you just put the meat on and walk away to watch the PGA, the extra time really shouldn't be an issue if you plan well. The phone app is a little wonky and has some glitches, but does give you control/monitoring over the grill without walking out to it.

Finally, they obviously put time into packaging and know their target market. The packing material converts into a beer holder while you are building it and the outer box converts into a fort for the little ones (or in Boneyard parlance For tfor hte ittle owns).

View attachment 43361

If you like lamb, try a whole lamb leg on it. I cook it at 275 on the BGE for 3-4 hours, with an aluminum drip pan on the plate setter below filled with about a quarter inch of water. The drippings make an amazing smoky gravy.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If you like lamb, try a whole lamb leg on it. I cook it at 275 on the BGE for 3-4 hours, with an aluminum drip pan on the plate setter below filled with about a quarter inch of water. The drippings make an amazing smoky gravy.
I tend to like lamb chops and lamb sirloin more than the leg - it gets a little gamey for me. But thanks for the heads up. In never even thought about lamb on this thing.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Just got turned onto Camp Chef. Watch this:

Reaction Score

View attachment 43361

BEq25K8CcAAgVkT.jpg

‘Tis a fine rattlesnake pen, but sure ‘tis no fort, English.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

View attachment 43361

The one tip i can offer - the best thing about these units is that you can go infinitely slow - most recipes i see are a compromise for time and temp, due to needing to maintain heat - use your advantage wisely

Oh - also keep it dry - drop a pellet or 2 on your lawn, leave it there, and you'll see why, after it rains.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Has anyone gotten in to the flat iron diner type griddle grills?

I know one or two people who have gotten them and they're happy with what they can do with it.

Definitely some limits but for an amateur it can work.

You guys want all the bells and whistles so you don't have to do any work or thinking.

Here's what real men do.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Just got turned onto Camp Chef. Watch this:

Bought this one for Christmas. It's a great unit. I just hope it holds up over time. I got 12 years out of my last Weber gas grill but I don't think the Camp Chef or the Treager are destined to last that long.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Bought this one for Christmas. It's a great unit. I just hope it holds up over time. I got 12 years out of my last Weber gas grill but I don't think the Camp Chef or the Treager are destined to last that long.

My Genesis will be 18 years old this season. No compelling reason to get rid of it yet. I learned to smoke fairly competently a few years ago after a bit of trial & error and while it's definitely showing wear & tear and I've replaced an ignition and some minor parts, the fixes have been cheap and the thing still works well. One of the best purchases I've made since buying our house in 2002.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I am moving at the end of the month and have decided to leave behind one of my propane grills. I will be in the market for a new grill. For those that have the pellet grills are they worth it? Do they really differentiate themselves that much from a traditional charcoal or propane grill? Are there really that much of a difference between Traeger, Green Mountain, and Lousiana Grill?

I am leaning towards either a pellet or charcoal grill. Just have not decided which one and have no experience with a pellet grill. I already have an electric smoker and propane flattop (good for hibachi, burgers, breakfast, and pretty much anything boneless).

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I am moving at the end of the month and have decided to leave behind one of my propane grills. I will be in the market for a new grill. For those that have the pellet grills are they worth it? Do they really differentiate themselves that much from a traditional charcoal or propane grill? Are there really that much of a difference between Traeger, Green Mountain, and Lousiana Grill?

I am leaning towards either a pellet or charcoal grill. Just have not decided which one and have no experience with a pellet grill. I already have an electric smoker and propane flattop (good for hibachi, burgers, breakfast, and pretty much anything boneless).
First off, propane is just a heat source and adds nothing to the flavor of the food. If you want to put some grill marks on hotdogs and eat in 20 minutes, they are great.

Charcoal and pellet grills add flavor to what you are cooking. I've had a couple of pretty good charcoal grills and you can do some good grilling on them, but generally, it's hard to regulate temperature. You can make a darn good burger or steak on them, but it pretty much ends there.

Pellet grills are really amazing for the weekend griller/smoker. The best way to cook meat is with wood - I don't think anyone debates that. I bought an offset smoker to try smoking things and after a couple of really bad attempts, I realized I didn't have the time to learn how to use one. A good pellet grill is so easy and versatile. It gives you 98% of the wood flavor that professionals using an offset smoker will get. They regulate the heat so you don't have to be a maestro or be adding wood or air every 20 minutes. Being able to smoke a port butt or brisket for 6+ hours at 180 degrees is simple and requires nothing but setting it and walking away. They can get hot enough to grill and sear. You can actually bake in them if you choose.

The one downside is everything takes much longer. You can't just fire it up like the propane or charcoal grill and be eating 30 minutes later. If you use it correctly and smoke a steak before searing, it will take 90 minutes or so from starting the grill to taking it off to rest. You could probably grill a steak in 30 or 40 minutes from start to rest, but you would be missing out. Even burgers and dogs are going to take 30 minutes plus before you can take them off.

Obviously I am very happy with my Traeger - it's awesome. Some of the best things I've done so far are smoked, reverse seared ribeyes, brined smoked turkey breast, smoked deviled eggs (for real), smoked meatloaf, brisket, and a simple grilled whole chicken.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My wife is pregnant and has been averse to grilled food most of the summer. Le sigh

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
First off, propane is just a heat source and adds nothing to the flavor of the food. If you want to put some grill marks on hotdogs and eat in 20 minutes, they are great.

Charcoal and pellet grills add flavor to what you are cooking. I've had a couple of pretty good charcoal grills and you can do some good grilling on them, but generally, it's hard to regulate temperature. You can make a darn good burger or steak on them, but it pretty much ends there.

Pellet grills are really amazing for the weekend griller/smoker. The best way to cook meat is with wood - I don't think anyone debates that. I bought an offset smoker to try smoking things and after a couple of really bad attempts, I realized I didn't have the time to learn how to use one. A good pellet grill is so easy and versatile. It gives you 98% of the wood flavor that professionals using an offset smoker will get. They regulate the heat so you don't have to be a maestro or be adding wood or air every 20 minutes. Being able to smoke a port butt or brisket for 6+ hours at 180 degrees is simple and requires nothing but setting it and walking away. They can get hot enough to grill and sear. You can actually bake in them if you choose.

The one downside is everything takes much longer. You can't just fire it up like the propane or charcoal grill and be eating 30 minutes later. If you use it correctly and smoke a steak before searing, it will take 90 minutes or so from starting the grill to taking it off to rest. You could probably grill a steak in 30 or 40 minutes from start to rest, but you would be missing out. Even burgers and dogs are going to take 30 minutes plus before you can take them off.

Obviously I am very happy with my Traeger - it's awesome. Some of the best things I've done so far are smoked, reverse seared ribeyes, brined smoked turkey breast, smoked deviled eggs (for real), smoked meatloaf, brisket, and a simple grilled whole chicken.

Please tell me you’re not smoking brisket or pork butt at 180

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Please tell me you’re not smoking brisket or pork butt at 180

I do, especially for pork. It makes for a carefree overnight smoking session (low pellet consumption, no chance of overcooking), and allows you to tailor your morning-on session for whatever your eating time is. It's a great advantage to the pellet grills - more time doesn't necessarily mean more maintenance.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info on the pellet grill. I am not too concerned with the smoking aspect of the pellet grill, as I already have a smoker that does everything I need.

I see most pellet grills say they can get to high temps, so are they capable of just a traditional grilling of steak with a nice sear on and off in 15 min or so? Or does everything on the pellet grill have to be done in a BBQ style as opposed to grilling?

August_West

Reaction Score
I do, especially for pork. It makes for a carefree overnight smoking session (low pellet consumption, no chance of overcooking), and allows you to tailor your morning-on session for whatever your eating time is. It's a great advantage to the pellet grills - more time doesn't necessarily mean more maintenance.

But that’s not even the temp you want a shoulder at. I don’t pull a pork shoulder off the smoker until about 200-203 degrees. You’re not Melting and breaking down collagens at 180.

Brisket either for that matter.

August_West

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info on the pellet grill. I am not too concerned with the smoking aspect of the pellet grill, as I already have a smoker that does everything I need.

I see most pellet grills say they can get to high temps, so are they capable of just a traditional grilling of steak with a nice sear on and off in 15 min or so? Or does everything on the pellet grill have to be done in a BBQ style as opposed to grilling?

If you are talking a traeger or their work alikes I wouldn’t count on it as a good high temp grill.they try to sell it as such. It’s not. It’s an excellent smoker that’s really easy to maintain. Not a grill

Reaction Score
I've had a couple of pretty good charcoal grills and you can do some good grilling on them, but generally, it's hard to regulate temperature. You can make a darn good burger or steak on them, but it pretty much ends there.

Not at all true of the kimodo style products . . .

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
But that’s not even the temp you want a shoulder at. I don’t pull a pork shoulder off the smoker until about 200-203 degrees. You’re not Melting and breaking down collagens at 180.

Brisket either for that matter.

Sorry, should have been more specific.

I go 180 for about 12 hours, give or take.
I then go up to about 230 until 205 internal.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Sorry, should have been more specific.

I go 180 for about 12 hours, give or take.
I then go up to about 230 until 205 internal.
This - I like to smoke at 180 for the first four hours or so then up to 225 for the remainder.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If you are talking a traeger or their work alikes I wouldn’t count on it as a good high temp grill.they try to sell it as such. It’s not. It’s an excellent smoker that’s really easy to maintain. Not a grill
It's not going to get to 700 degrees, but they do get to 450 and the higher end ones 500. Plenty enough to grill and sear.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

It's going to take the grill 15 to 20 minutes to get up to 450ish. At that point, it would cook like most any other grill in 15 or 20 minutes. So you can use it like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom