OT: Bat in House | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bat in House

Reaction Score
Come on man, get a big fishing next (i mean big, like you use for steelehead), the clear rubberized netting and swing that sucker and eventually you'd get it. I'm not opening up any window so every june bug, skeeter, lo and luna moth can invade the house and I could give a rat's ass about humane removal. I like bats and want them around, just not in my home.

I've wacked three of them that way.

The fourth stuck itself the bottom of a glass vase and couldn't get out - All have been put in containers and went to the state lab for rabies testing - bats can bite you when you sleep and it's very possible you wouldn't know it. Unlikely, but can happen.

Of course, once it's down, don't touch it, use rubber gloves.

Bat in the wall, will stink for a bit, not as long as you think and will do away.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love it. Phil is holed upstairs in his new house because a bat has invaded his home and of course the first thing that comes to mind is "let me post on the BY for help".

It's great that he doesn't know there are a thousand bat posts on the Cesspool.

When I lived in Fairfield we have bats get in. Secret was an insane roommate who would just grab the bat and toss it outside.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hello, all. I'm about 14.5 hours into battle with this bat. Food and water beginning to run low. Staying off the boneyard in order to conserve battery on electronics. Will log in if necessary to say my final farewell

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Just kidding, we opened up a couple of slider doors--the bat was perched high up in the corner of a cathedral ceiling. Left the slider open for a couple of hours, bat was no longer there when we returned, and animal control came out and did a thorough sweep of the house. They were fairly certain the bat did make it out the door. We'll have someone coming by this week to check out the bats near the chimney--we do have a good deal of guano near the chimney, and we never really thought anything of it because the bats never bothered us.

Reaction Score
AMHERST COLLEGE - BAT RESPONSE PROTOCOLS

Bat Capture Procedures

- Both primary response police cars are now equipped with bat protective gloves and containers, and one is fitted with an extendable net for bats in flight.

o Bat on Ceiling/Wall – with bat gloves donned,

§ clear the area or room and close the doors and windows
§ slowly (because bats are sensitive to movement) place a large open mouth container over the bat
§ slide a piece of cardboard between the wall and the container relocating the bat to the inside of the can/container.
§ place appropriate cover over top of can/container while simultaneously removing the cardboard.
§ screw on or tape down the cover to prevent bat from escaping, and
§ label lid of container BAT – Do Not Open

o CO2 Fire Extinguisher (option 2)
§ If the bat is in a bad location, such as a corner of the area or room, spray the bat with CO2 from a CO2 fire extinguisher.
· the bat will drop to the floor into a pre-placed container that you can place a cover on, or
· pick the bat up with either the bat gloves, kitchen tongs or forceps and place it into a container with securable cap or cover
§ label lid of container BAT – Do Not Open

o Bat in Flight – with bat gloves donned
§ With the net, you need to capture the bat from behind.
· Once the bat is in the net pull and secure the draw string to keep the bat from escaping
§ To transfer the bat from the net, freeze the bat with a CO2 extinguisher and transfer with either the bat gloves or large kitchen tongs/forceps

I wouldn't go w/ the extinguisher option. No net use a bed sheet.

Have to admit - I saw the headline and checked Twitter to see if Randy lit the bat signal again.

Do you think I can use the fire extinguisher on chipmunks?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Eating all those Black Widows. Let it be.

I agree--I'd like to keep the bats around. I just don't want 'em getting into my house. We've got a place with a lot of woods around us and there are tons of critters and I really love it. I'd like to coexist with the creatures if I can.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
this bat gave me a wicked hangover... was out drinking when this episode occurred and it was a prime reason to stay out all night

You're a doctor. You know that drinking is not good for you! ;)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just kidding, we opened up a couple of slider doors--the bat was perched high up in the corner of a cathedral ceiling. Left the slider open for a couple of hours, bat was no longer there when we returned, and animal control came out and did a thorough sweep of the house. They were fairly certain the bat did make it out the door. We'll have someone coming by this week to check out the bats near the chimney--we do have a good deal of guano near the chimney, and we never really thought anything of it because the bats never bothered us.
Careful with the bat poop. If inhaled it can get you sick supposedly. Was reading up on that when we had our bat. I don't mind them either but ever since that one got in my house on Friday I've been jumpy as hell at any wildlife. Should have seen me mowing the yard yesterday. Freaking bunnies jumping out of the way of the mower made me scream! Lol! A bird flew out of nowhere and I almost had a heart attack. I hate wildlife sometimes!

Glad you got the bat out though.

Reaction Score
Should have seen me mowing the yard yesterday. Freaking bunnies jumping out of the way of the mower made me scream! Lol!

Almost had Rabbit Cacciatore the other evening... whole nest of the little batsards.

020.jpg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Almost had Rabbit Cacciatore the other evening... whole nest of the little batsards.

View attachment 23862
Yep - seen that baby rabbit hole before - then my neighbor's cat found it and that was that. For bats, I'm a tennis racket guy rather than philosophy.

Reaction Score
Lol. Hot pepper flakes down the chipmunk holes solve that problem...
Whole chili peppers and a complementary 4' long black rat snake appear to contain a previously sizeable chipmunk colony; not so effective on sh|tloads of squirrels.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whole chili peppers and a complementary 4' long black rat snake appear to contain a previously sizeable chipmunk colony; not so effective on sh|tloads of squirrels.

In about month a Red Tailed Hawk will begin a two week residence on the grounds of Casa CL82. Two weeks later all the chipmunks will be gone and he'll move on. I look forward to it. They are beautiful birds.

020.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Do you think I can use the fire extinguisher on chipmunks?

A rat trap baited with peanut butter will handle it, albeit one chipmunk at a time.

If you're looking to street-sweep an entire population, get a five-gallon bucket. Fill it halfway with water.

Get some of those black sunflower seeds. Pour a bunch of them onto the surface of the water. They float, so pour enough in so that it looks like the bucket is actually filled with the seeds.

Put the bucket near where the chipmunks frequent. Make a little ramp to the top of the bucket - paint-stirring sticks work well.

Leave the bucket. Go inside and wonder if what you've just done has put your soul at hazard.

Check back in a day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom