OT: Barclay's Dumping the Islanders | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Barclay's Dumping the Islanders

Reaction Score
He doesn't own the Colesieum..Nassau County does! They entered into a developement deal with Ratner to renovate it but reserve the right to fill it with a tenant as they see fit. The earth, moon, stars and the sun will need to align for the Islanders to move to Hartford! I can see them moving to Quebec City before they move to Hartford. It's nice to dream but keep reality clearly in view here!

The billionare Russian aka Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment owns and operates BC and also manages NVMC. 6th to last paragraph:

Islanders Are on Roll, but Their Future at Barclays Center May Be in Doubt

Reaction Score
The billionare Russian aka Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment owns and operates BC and also manages NVMC. 6th to last paragraph:

Islanders Are on Roll, but Their Future at Barclays Center May Be in Doubt
Look I know what's going on...I get to read about it and follow it every day between the Daily News, Post and NYC local news. I also work with a few guys who have ties to Nassau County Government and the Town of Hempstead government. They are putting on a full court press...and the ownership group realizes there is a fan base for the team on LI. Their dream scenario is to build their own place by Citi Field. That was shot down by the soon to be indicted NYC Mayor. They are presently looking at land by Belmont race track...and Nassau County who OWNS the Coliseum is making a pitch to them. Dream all you want...the last I knew the CRDA can't even come to an agreement with Northland about buying the atrium at the XL Center never mind start the XL refurb. How in the hell do you expect the ownership of the Islanders to come racing over the Throgs Neck bridge and up 95/91 to a place that after you look past the lipstick they put on it is a dump not fit for a NHL team? This isn't happening...the NHL (i.e. the Islanders) isn't coming to Hartford...deal with it...it's reality.

Reaction Score
Just like people here dream of the ACC or the B1G.... I dream, research, speculate, and have fun with all this stuff. Look at the CR board and its crazed speculation goin on decades. Look, I posted numerous times, they'll probably go back to LI. Let me and other people have fun with it for a day. JeeZ

Reaction Score
Just like people here dream of the ACC or the B1G.... I dream, research, speculate, and have fun with all this stuff. Look at the CR board and its crazed speculation goin on decades. Look, I posted numerous times, they'll probably go back to LI. Let me and other people have fun with it for a day. JeeZ
Trust me..I tell my friends at work who are Islander fans they are lucky they can still go see their team play on LI..it's just in the City instead of Nassau County. I also tell them that CT has basically approved a upgrade of the XL Center and they will roll out the red carpet for their team. As a Whaler fan it turns my stomach to listen to Bettman rail Hartford as a bad market..yet see Whaler merchandise for sale in the NHL flagship store when we go by in the rig. A top selling line..lining Bettman and the NHL's pockets with $$ year after year. I hope you are right...but in the end after being burned by CR..I've become a pessimist. Stranger things have happened.

Reaction Score
Trust me..I tell my friends at work who are Islander fans they are lucky they can still go see their team play on LI..it's just in the City instead of Nassau County. I also tell them that CT has basically approved a upgrade of the XL Center and they will roll out the red carpet for their team. As a Whaler fan it turns my stomach to listen to Bettman rail Hartford as a bad market..yet see Whaler merchandise for sale in the NHL flagship store when we go by in the rig. A top selling line..lining Bettman and the NHL's pockets with $$ year after year. I hope you are right...but in the end after being burned by CR..I've become a pessimist. Stranger things have happened.

The only time I've heard him on the topic Bettman said the fans weren't the reason for the team leaving Hartford. That was when he used to appear on the NHL Network and fielded calls from listeners.

Reaction Score
The only time I've heard him on the topic Bettman said the fans weren't the reason for the team leaving Hartford. That was when he used to appear on the NHL Network and fielded calls from listeners.
It's the "size of the market"...to him it's another small market that can't support a team. The fact that all the "big markets" he has moved teams to from "small markets" have failed make no difference to that as**ole. I truly wish the man would get plastered by a bus. The hockey world would be much better off! I can almost guarantee there will be at least 2 more work stoppages if he is around for 10 more years before he retires.

Reaction Score
I don't think it happens but why wouldn't the state at least put out the feelers. I mean 250 million into the XL needs all the help in the world to be taken seriously.

Reaction Score
It's the "size of the market"...to him it's another small market that can't support a team. The fact that all the "big markets" he has moved teams to from "small markets" have failed make no difference to that as**ole. I truly wish the man would get plastered by a bus. The hockey world would be much better off! I can almost guarantee there will be at least 2 more work stoppages if he is around for 10 more years before he retires.
Agreed. Bettman would rather bet on 1/8 of NYs market over all of CT's.

The question is whether the Islanders would be better off with one-eighth of a loaf in New York or a market to themselves in Connecticut. Considering the popularity of the New York Rangers (and the presence of the New Jersey Devils), the inadequacy of the Barclays Center for hockey, and all the other competition for the fans’ entertainment dollar in New York, it’s probably a pretty close call.

How successful might Whalers 2.0 be? In a 2013 study, I estimated that about 175,000 avid NHL fans live in the Hartford-New Haven metro area. That sounds bad, though it’s comparable to or slightly better than some of the lower-tier American NHL markets, including Columbus, Raleigh-Durham, Miami and Nashville (and better than Las Vegas) where the NHL is expanding). Furthermore, there’s potentially room for growth. According to our estimates, 7 percent of adults in the Hartford metro area were avid NHL fans in 2013. But the percentage is 13 percent in the New York metro area and 17 percent in the Boston metro area. If the Islanders or another team were to relocate to Hartford, the numbers would probably improve. The Hartford-New Haven media market is the largest in the U.S. without a “big four” sports franchise. But it’s only about one-eighth the size of New Yorks media market(which includes Long Island and Northern New Jersey).

Reaction Score
Anyone see House Bill 05389? Its for vanity whalers plates to be sold at the DMV. There was a public hearing last monday; licensing has already been cleared with the NHL, its just on our legislature to pass now.

Kicker is a portion of the sales go to charity. Win for residents, win for charities, win for the state.

CT House Bill 05389

IMG_5149.JPG

Reaction Score
Anyone see House Bill 05389? Its for vanity whalers plates to be sold at the DMV. There was a public hearing last monday; licensing has already been cleared with the NHL, its just on our legislature to pass now.

Kicker is a portion of the sales go to charity. Win for residents, win for charities, win for the state.

CT House Bill 05389

View attachment 19437
Oh man. I might get one of those!

Reaction Score
Malloy, trying to lure NHL team, seeking $250M for XL Center
(Hartford Business article)

I like that the courant article proves that Malloy has been in contact with NHL throughout his administration and was actually in contact with potential owners. (There have been rumors on that for yrs). I liked that he's been in contact with Bettman and will stay in contact with Daly and Bettman on the plans.

Hartford is probably being used as a bargaining chip like the Patriots to Hartford deal, but you never know. Multiple teams are in trouble and Hartford may be the solution to the problem.

Reaction Score

CT House Bill 05389

View attachment 19437

Nice plate... I might get one. I might have to have my car register in Connecticut, I will, if that is the plate I get...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom