OT: Barclay's Dumping the Islanders | The Boneyard

OT: Barclay's Dumping the Islanders

Reaction Score
Brooklyn’s Barclays Center Is Dumping the Islanders

They are now on notice to ind a new home. IMHO the NHL would return to Hartford ONLY if Gary Bettman left this earth. There could be collateral damage though..the Islanders own the Sound Tigers..if they indeed do move from the area Bridgeport would be a shoo-in to grab the Wolfpack who seem to be renewing their agreement at the XL Center year to year. With no tenant other than UConn the XL upgrade plans as currently proposed may not make as much sense.

Reaction Score
You see this too?

NHL is falling apart. 1 team to Quebec and one back home to Hartford. I don't care which one.
A perfect 100 yr anniversary of the NHL

That NHL approved vendor SCI plan seems legit. I talked to the guy in charge of the ice @ public hearing. It won't be like BC. Approved metal/copper. We just need ledecky or the new potential cane owner to move in. That's 2 teams that could move without messing up the conference alignment.

***crazy talk***
I know they have that crazy NYC DMA TV deal until 2034. If Hartford was the only spot, couldn't they renogiate and get MSG channel in all of CT? It would increase the TV $$ deal. Why not do it? LI fan base is close enough. Soundwhalers stay in bport, pack go to Albany(Devils are moving to binghamton) and isles move out of BC in 2018-2019. New ice will be in the XL by then. They could renovate over the summers and get it done the full 250 Reno done.

EVEN If it's temporary move for the isles, maybe team up with SNY/MSG and broadcast the games while they build the new arena next to citi field. Work the owners and Get some $$$ or a % for the renovations and it would be a test for a real return of our own team. I always thought the isles and mets should have a deal with SNY. Make it a isle/whaler UConn combo on SNY and you're talking $$$

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mangano: Islanders talked possible Coliseum return

Can't read full article, but over on hfboards it's saying the renovated Nassau could hold 15k. Previously it was only to hold 13k. They'll probably move back to Uniondale
If they don't end up there I can see the new Ilses ownership building a place in Nassau or even NYC near Citi field (this is a long shot) using the Coliseum as a temporary home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
is there another professional sports league with more "coulda/shoulda's" than the NHL? It's like they can't get out of their own way - sad, considering they were a solid 4th professional league back in the early 90s. Now it seems more like a royal shyteshow on skates.

Reaction Score
is there another professional sports league with more "coulda/shoulda's" than the NHL? It's like they can't get out of their own way - sad, considering they were a solid 4th professional league back in the early 90s. Now it seems more like a royal shyteshow on skates.
There is one reason for this..and one reason only..his name is Gary Bettman and if ti wasn't for the talent and popularity of the game would have run this league into the ground a LONG time ago!

Reaction Score
There is one reason for this..and one reason only..his name is Gary Bettman and if ti wasn't for the talent and popularity of the game would have run this league into the ground a LONG time ago!

I've also heard that the NHL was really poised to take off after the NYR in 94, but that the strike took the wind out of the sails. Bettman's southern experiment made some sense but it came at the expense of existing northern markets. Those southern teams should have been expansion clubs, not transplants.

Reaction Score
I've also heard that the NHL was really poised to take off after the NYR in 94, but that the strike took the wind out of the sails. Bettman's southern experiment made some sense but it came at the expense of existing northern markets. Those southern teams should have been expansion clubs, not transplants.
There will be at least 1 more if not 2 more work stoppages under Bettman. At some point the glass is going to break.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've never seen the ROI on a full XL Center reno, but that changes if we get an NHL team.

Reaction Score
Though I doubt it happens Whale 2.0 would force UConn to build a campus arena I think. It would be too big a scheduling problem if they were 2nd fiddle to an NHL franchise. Though it's possible they could partner on a practice facility for the NHL/game site for UCONN of some sort. Still play a couple of games in Hartford but most on campus I think.

Reaction Score
Though I doubt it happens Whale 2.0 would force UConn to build a campus arena I think. It would be too big a scheduling problem if they were 2nd fiddle to an NHL franchise. Though it's possible they could partner on a practice facility for the NHL/game site for UCONN of some sort. Still play a couple of games in Hartford but most on campus I think.
It would also likely force a few more basketball games back to Gampel as well. AHL schedules are different than the NHL and they of course would get first dibs. That said, the Islanders aren't moving to Hartford. No one is moving to Hartford as long as Bettman is commissioner.

Reaction Score
No owner in their right mind would move a team to a city that is just about bankrupt. The move to cities where that know they can get corporate welfare.

Reaction Score
Malloy And Bronin Pitch Hartford's XL Center To New York Islanders

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin wrote to executives with the NHL's New York Islanders asking if the hockey team would consider playing games at the XL Center.

But Malloy and Bronin pitched the XL Center as a long-term solution. Plans are in place for a $250 million renovation that will add a second concourse and get the arena up to NHL standards. Connecticut hasn't had a professional sports team since the Hartford Whalers left for North Carolina in 1997.

The Hartford-New Haven television market is the 30th biggest in the country and the largest without a professional sports team. And while the Whalers have been gone for 20 years, their merchandise remains one of the NHL's top sellers.

Malloy And Bronin Pitch Hartford's XL Center To New York Islanders

Reaction Score
IMHO, This might be why there was soooooo many students @ the Vermont game. Why was there so many students there last game especially for a Friday?

Was last Friday's game a test of the market?

I never seen student section (109 and 110) and overflow to sections next to it and both upper corners.

Why all the youth hockey all of a sudden?

Just seemed strange to have all those students and all the youth hockey at the game.

I wonder if Malloy told DB, get as many students as you can for last Friday's game.

I wonder if there was some people in the stands taking notice....

Reaction Score
Great job by Malloy misspelling Ledecky's first name.

It's like putting a picture of a PW engine on the presentation cover trying to keep GE in the state.

At least he didn't call them the Rangers.

Reaction Score
I like Malloy's approach...the name misspelling aside. The biggest hurdle and IMHO unsurpassable would be Bettman signing off on the move. That just isn't going to happen.

Reaction Score
I like Malloy's approach...the name misspelling aside. The biggest hurdle and IMHO unsurpassable would be Bettman signing off on the move. That just isn't going to happen.

Bettman works for the owners. He has no say in the potential move.. The board of governors which is numerous NHL owners make the call, not Bettman. If they vote for it, it could happen.

Reaction Score
Bettman works for the owners. He has no say in the potential move.. The board of governors which is numerous NHL owners make the call, not Bettman. If they vote for it, it could happen.
Don't hold your breath...they will be back on LI at the end of the day.

Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath...they will be back on LI at the end of the day.

Probably, but the Russian guy owns BC and NVMC. He's all about concerts and their revenue. Would he want to give up 41 dates at the renovated NVMC? Didn't want them @ BC, what makes him want them @ NVMC?

Reaction Score
Probably, but the Russian guy owns BC and NVMC. He's all about concerts and their revenue. Would he want to give up 41 dates at the renovated NVMC? Didn't want them @ BC, what makes him want them @ NVMC?
He doesn't own the Colesieum..Nassau County does! They entered into a developement deal with Ratner to renovate it but reserve the right to fill it with a tenant as they see fit. The earth, moon, stars and the sun will need to align for the Islanders to move to Hartford! I can see them moving to Quebec City before they move to Hartford. It's nice to dream but keep reality clearly in view here!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom