OT: At least we have Lavar Ball to keep us laughing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: At least we have Lavar Ball to keep us laughing

Reaction Score
Lavar is such an alpha dominating your brains. Love this guy pretty much because old white dudes get so mad because they care to much about stuff that has nothing to do with them. He's building a brand off of trolling you angry dolts.

Yeah man. Denying your children a free college education to one of the best schools in the world is awesome! Just gonna move my kids around like chess pieces.

Reaction Score
Lavar is such an alpha dominating your brains. Love this guy pretty much because old white dudes get so mad because they care to much about stuff that has nothing to do with them. He's building a brand off of trolling you angry dolts.

Bro this is the same logic that...

And I know you'll say that one is sports and the other isn't. But the media is still the common denominator. The problem is that they use "how mad people will get" as the barometer for every story. That's why you have LaVar and it's why you have Skip Bayless. If that's entertaining to you than so be it but the whyyoudmadtho scthick is played out as hell and so is LaVar at this point.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
and we thought we had it bad with Oriakhi's dad

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Lavar Ball = Joe Jackson. I predict a terrible nose job, a hyperbaric chamber, and a chimp named Bubbles in one son's future.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Lavar Ball = Joe Jackson. I predict a terrible nose job, a hyperbaric chamber, and a chimp named Bubbles in one son's future.

And then one of them will end up the greatest player of all time, another one will end up super popular but have a wardrobe malfunction and the last son will be hanging out in the background is that what you're saying. With the bad comes the good.

Reaction Score
Some good stuff in this thread... First, LaVar is dominating. All of the idiots (many in this thread; my dad especially) losing their minds over his actions just keeps him, his kids, and his brand relevant. He's playing the troll game absolutely perfectly. Some team will sign his kids, pay them lots of $$ (because it will make the team $$) and perhaps the younger one will prove that he can play in the NBA. I agree with the sentiment that the youngest one comes off as a tool and from watching his game I see a kid trying to be Steph Curry without anywhere near the ability but who knows.

Perhaps an offshoot and genius if this was intended, is that with LaVar's trollage and LaMelo's brattiness, Lonzo comes across, to me at least, as incredibly likable. Given that he is the one who is going to have a career and I really think he's going to be a perennial all-star type, he will in time be separated from his pops and will come out golden.

Reaction Score

What a whacked post, totally ludicrous but coming from you expected. WOW such stupidity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some good stuff in this thread... First, LaVar is dominating. All of the idiots (many in this thread; my dad especially) losing their minds over his actions just keeps him, his kids, and his brand relevant. He's playing the troll game absolutely perfectly. Some team will sign his kids, pay them lots of $$ (because it will make the team $$) and perhaps the younger one will prove that he can play in the NBA. I agree with the sentiment that the youngest one comes off as a tool and from watching his game I see a kid trying to be Steph Curry without anywhere near the ability but who knows.

Perhaps an offshoot and genius if this was intended, is that with LaVar's trollage and LaMelo's brattiness, Lonzo comes across, to me at least, as incredibly likable. Given that he is the one who is going to have a career and I really think he's going to be a perennial all-star type, he will in time be separated from his pops and will come out golden.
You are mostly right (& despite his similar trolling fman has a point too), but I'm discouraged that the trolling works and how the lack of shame augments the 'genius'*. Its so easy to ignore him when you understand the trolling, I understand why the media plays it up for eyeballs, but its a sign of our cultural demise and backwardness that people care so much on both sides. Other than watching Lonzo play basketball (and he is a fascinating player) I don't care.

*just not the right word, shrewd, cunning, certainly has a distinct genius for self-promotion but again when the success & skill is enabled by a lack of integrity and exploitation of other's failings I can't buy into the complimentary description.

Reaction Score
The basketball equivalent of the Kardashians. Can't wait to see how this ends up..
Insult to the Kardashians

Their business is built on sex, Ball’s business is built on basketball. The former’s product is doing just fine lol while the latter’s...

Reaction Score
You are mostly right (& despite his similar trolling fman has a point too), but I'm discouraged that the trolling works and how the lack of shame augments the 'genius'*. Its so easy to ignore him when you understand the trolling, I understand why the media plays it up for eyeballs, but its a sign of our cultural demise and backwardness that people care so much on both sides. Other than watching Lonzo play basketball (and he is a fascinating player) I don't care.

*just not the right word, shrewd, cunning, certainly has a distinct genius for self-promotion but again when the success & skill is enabled by a lack of integrity and exploitation of other's failings I can't buy into the complimentary description.

Genius is obviously not the right term... But our society uses that term so loosely that it seems apt. We all should be discouraged by the dad's antics but I applaud his ability to push the right buttons of the masses and watch him reap the benefits of collective ignorance. Initially, I was caught up in it. But then it all became so calculated and proportioned that I respect him for taking it as far as he could to make his kids the celebrities that they are. While he has exploited his children, he is also making them wealthy and perhaps will give them (at least the younger) the best chance of making it to the NBA. Bare minimum, they make a lot of dough and if he has any modicum of success, the brand will continue to grow.

With Lonzo, I think many people disliked him immensely because of his dad so all eyes were on him hoping for his inevitable failings. You can find my posts on this site almost yearning for him to be a bust to somehow restore some sanctity to the game. While he has not been a star, it is impossible to not respect his game; as you say, he is a fascinating player- the likes of which do not come around that often and I think there has been a backward appreciation of sorts for him because, for no other reason, he's not like his father.

Reaction Score
in hindsight, the US should have traded China the old man for the UCLA youngsters release

Reaction Score
To me Lonzo's game all comes down to his shot mechanics. Part of the reason I'm fascinated by this is because I'm trying to fix my kids' shots (born out of trying to hoist 3's before they are strong enough) and my own shot (too much left = little backspin, range has always been 18'). The Steph Curry revolution is only in its infancy. If you think the current generation shoots too many 3's and the inside game is lost, just wait for 10 years from now.

Back to Lonzo, he is a transcendent share the ball passer influencer ala Nadav Henefeld (two handed shot btw!) but he's absolutely gotta fix that jump shot. Somewhat similar to Jason Kidd (although Kidd could always finish) though I don't know if Kidd had mechanics issues.

It gets even more interesting when you layer in LeBron evaluating a move to the Lakers. If I'm LeBron I literally have the change your shot convo with Lonzo before committing. Can I also get LeBron to convert my kids?!

Reaction Score
To me Lonzo's game all comes down to his shot mechanics. Part of the reason I'm fascinated by this is because I'm trying to fix my kids' shots (born out of trying to hoist 3's before they are strong enough) and my own shot (too much left = little backspin, range has always been 18'). The Steph Curry revolution is only in its infancy. If you think the current generation shoots too many 3's and the inside game is lost, just wait for 10 years from now.

Back to Lonzo, he is a transcendent share the ball passer influencer ala Nadav Henefeld (two handed shot btw!) but he's absolutely gotta fix that jump shot. Somewhat similar to Jason Kidd (although Kidd could always finish) though I don't know if Kidd had mechanics issues.

It gets even more interesting when you layer in LeBron evaluating a move to the Lakers. If I'm LeBron I literally have the change your shot convo with Lonzo before committing. Can I also get LeBron to convert my kids?!

It really is fascinating how the modern jumpshot has changed because of Curry. Well, not just Curry... Korver, Thompson, etc. have all been a part of it.

That classic balanced, high-jumping, 2-motion, Ray Allen-type shot is no longer the "ideal" jump shot. A more fluid, more set-like shot is becoming the norm, and shooting is improving because of it. Ray Allen, Michael Jordan, Kobe, all those guys. A kyrie or a Durant kind of have a hybrid shot. A Smoother 2-motion shot, but barely. There's really no "set point" in a modern jump shot.

The thing with releasing at the apex of the shot is they ends up needing a 2-motion shot because they weren't using all the power from their legs. The 1-motion Curry-style shot has revolutionized the game. Range on shooting has increased, and will continue to increase as the game changes.

Reaction Score
Bro this is the same logic that...

And I know you'll say that one is sports and the other isn't. But the media is still the common denominator. The problem is that they use "how mad people will get" as the barometer for every story. That's why you have LaVar and it's why you have Skip Bayless. If that's entertaining to you than so be it but the whyyoudmadtho scthick is played out as hell and so is LaVar at this point.

I will say this about Lavar. I wasn't "anti Lavar" at all when he first started making news. I thought he was crazy, but I also saw that my boys (14 and 11), who can name damn near every single NBA player but no one from college hoops, knew who Lonzo was. They wanted to watch his summer league games for God's sake. So I thought to myself that Lavar may have really stumbled onto something. It hasn't quite worked out yet, but if one more of the kids can really play, and if Lonzo becomes more dynamic and can make some damn shots, it could really take off. At some point though, you would think the old man is going to have to step back and stop being so damn crazy.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
This is going to be a great 30 for 30 eventually.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Insult to the Kardashians

Their business is built on sex, Ball’s business is built on basketball. The former’s product is doing just fine lol while the latter’s...

It's a huge insult to the Kardashian clan they are experts at what they do which is market stuff.
I will say this about Lavar. I wasn't "anti Lavar" at all when he first started making news. I thought he was crazy, but I also saw that my boys (14 and 11), who can name damn near every single NBA player but no one from college hoops, knew who Lonzo was. They wanted to watch his summer league games for God's sake. So I thought to myself that Lavar may have really stumbled onto something. It hasn't quite worked out yet, but if one more of the kids can really play, and if Lonzo becomes more dynamic and can make some damn shots, it could really take off. At some point though, you would think the old man is going to have to step back and stop being so damn crazy.

Joe Jackson never did that, Richard Williams never did that Lavar may get mentioned with those names when it's all said and done.

Reaction Score
the old man is going to have to step back and stop being so damn crazy
Joe Jackson never did that...
It is hard to step back when you are stepping out.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

He's like a Kardashian of basketball. And those Kardashians, for all their unsavory ways, are many times millionaires at this point.

Reaction Score
He's like a Kardashian of basketball. And those Kardashians, for all their unsavory ways, are many times millionaires at this point.
At least the Kardashians let their children pimp themselves out (literally)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
All of the idiots (many in this thread; my dad especially) losing their minds over his actions just keeps him, his kids, and his brand relevant.

There is a world of difference between 'in the public eye' and relevant.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
the old man is going to have to step back and stop being so damn crazy
It is hard to step back when you are stepping out.

The other Joe Jackson.

Reaction Score
The other Joe Jackson.

This one?

170px-ShoelessJoeJackson.jpg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lavar won't let anything in the way of his brand. LaMelo wasn't playing at UCLA one way or another. He's a marketing genius though having his kids play overseas. Some team is going to take them because of the eyes it will bring to their games. They will also become popular in whatever area they're in.

I have no bones with Lavar is doing for his kids though because at the end of the day it is for them. It's a family business so I'm sure the kids don't have a problem with it either. They just bought a new mansion too so it looks like business is booming and they are far from poor. IMO it's very admirable what this man is doing for his family and the heat he is taking to make sure they are good.

Reaction Score

See, that’s what I thought at first - that he was playing the troll game perfectly.

Now, I think I was giving him too much credit. A lot of the people he’s “trolling” are DOA. He’s not looking for people’s nerves; their nerves happen to be where he’s shooting.

As an aside, the term “troll” has become terribly diluted in the social media age. These people used to be creative and original. Now the real trolls are the ones who write the stories. LaVar Ball isn’t a story, he’s just not. I don’t say that in any type of moral sense, I say it because he isn’t cool or interesting. The media made him a story because developing a real one takes time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom