OT... Any one watching the World Cup? | The Boneyard

OT... Any one watching the World Cup?

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Awful first game...

Awful result...

Awful announcer... JP Dellacamera should just retire. He still thinks he is doing radio...

Tomorrow's games should be better. I hope they select different announcers...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Schedule and broadcasters for tomorrow:
upload_2018-6-14_11-52-31.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Awful first game...

Awful result...

Awful announcer... JP Dellacamera should just retire. He still thinks he is doing radio...

Tomorrow's games should be better. I hope they select different announcers...
I will be, shhhhhhh. Some of us have to work and have to dvr the games for watching later.

These are 2 of the poorer teams in the WC this year. Wait til we got to 48 in 2026. :eek:

Have not like JP for a long time. He just seems so clueless about soccer. It's unfortunate that Fox got the WC. ESPN and NBC do a much better job. Many of the announcing teams will be remote in LA instead of at the actual stadiums in Russia. :(

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Messi, the greatest sports figure in any sport never to win a championship

You know, except winning La Liga 9x, the Champions League 4x, and an Olympic gold medal.

I know you are probably referring to him not having won the World Cup or Copa America with Argentina, but still...that phrase stopped me in my tracks, so to speak.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You know, except winning La Liga 9x, the Champions League 4x, and an Olympic gold medal.

I know you are probably referring to him not having won the World Cup or Copa America with Argentina, but still...that phrase stopped me in my tracks, so to speak.
Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ernie Banks, Fran Tarkenton, Barry Sanders, Dan Marino never won the relative championships in their sports. Yet all of these players are considered among the best that ever competed at the pro level and all of them made their respective HOF's. It doesn't lessen their achievements in my eyes. But in looking back I'll bet if you asked any of them if they'd trade any of their individual achiecements for that one chip I'll bet they'd say absolutely.

Reaction Score
As an Italian-American....did someone say the World Cup just started? :( Who should be my 3rd team to root for?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I had it on the TV for Background noise, but didn't really watch it. Was interested to see how bad Russia would beat Saudi Arabia. I will watch the games when the Elite teams play. Germany, Spain, France Argentina etc. Its still unbelievable that the USA didn't make the World Cup. There's no excuse considering some of the teams USA lost to.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Speaking of elite teams in action, Spain/Portugal kicks off on Fox at 2 Eastern today.

Well, Renaldo scores in the 6' mark off what for me was a very questionable (soft) penalty kick given. Video Assisted Refereeing VAR my tuchus.

Spain does not look like the superhuman team every pundit predicted although still early

By the way, anyone understand why a National Coach taking a professional coaching job (in future) at Real Madrid results in his firing from the National Team?? :confused::confused:
Some bizarre conflict of interest??

Update 1 : Renaldo playing his heart out but he is playing with lemmings. Diego Costa of Spain just scored on an incredible individual effort play in the box where he kept twisting and turning with 2 defenders on him and he slots it through at a sharp angle. Great physical player. VAR got it correct in my mind when they thought Costa fouled his defender but the penalty was not given which would have eliminated the goal. Please. The game is physical and Costa barely touched him. Of course the announcer Stuart Holden disagrees.

Update 2: Renaldo just gets goal 2 with a left footed bullet. in the 44' against the run of play. Up 2-1.
Spain was taking over the game until the quick counter attack. If portugal pulls this off, this will be quite a moment for Renaldo and a volley in the Renaldo-Messi debate.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, Renaldo scores in the 6' mark off what for me was a very questionable (soft) penalty kick given. Video Assisted Refereeing VAR my tuchus.

Spain does not look like the superhuman team every pundit predicted although still early

By the way, anyone understand why a National Coach taking a professional coaching job (in future) at Real Madrid results in his firing from the National Team?? :confused::confused:

Update 1 : Renaldo playing his heart out but he is playing with lemmings. Diego Costa of Spain just scored on an incredible individual effort play in the box where he kept twisting and turning with 2 defenders on him and he slots it through at a sharp angle. Great physical player. VAR got it correct in my mind when they thought Costa fouled his defender but the penalty was not given which would have eliminated the goal. Please. The game is physical and Costa barely touched him. Of course the announcer Stuart Holden disagrees.

Update 2: Renaldo just gets goal 2 with a left footed bullet. in the 44' against the run of play. Up 2-1.
Spain was taking over the game until the quick counter attack. If portugal pulls this off, this will be quite a moment for Renaldo and a volley in the Renaldo-Messi debate.

Update 3: Too much Spain. They are indeed incredible and must be considered the favorite. 2 quick goals in the first 12 minutes of 2nd half. A guy named "Nacho" hits an incredible screamer of a half volley that bounces off both goal posts before going in. What the US (men) plays soccer like and what the elite teams play soccer like are 2 different things.

Final Update: Renaldo in the 89' gets a free kick just outside the box (making it harder to bend above the wall and still bend down into the goal) and bends a shot around/over the Spainish wall into the upper corner of the goal against the best goaltender in the world to tie the game at 3-3. (Ends that way) I am a Messi fan but Renaldo has convinced me he is as good as Messi (at least in this period of time). So glad I got to watch the game in it's entirety. :D:D:D

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, that was a foul. PK

He and Madrid did it behind Spain's Federation back. They found out when everyone else did. I think a bit of spite in the firing. But truthfully, Madrid and the coach should have just let the Federation know they were in talks/negotiations.

Reaction Score
I strongly agree with the pundits about Spain being the favorite to win the Cup. They have tremendous experience, play extremely well together and are well-coached. I think they will learn from the hard lesson that was Pique's gaffe today.

I take my hat off to Cristiano Ronaldo. A hat trick against a tough team on the biggest stage is something at which to marvel.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Uurgh., At 1-1 tie. Messi has his penalty kick blocked. Poor shot. Also missed a make-able free kick. If this does not change, (75' mark) Argentina may not even get out of the Group.

In a related matter, is Iceland big. The size differential is incredible. They are clogging up the box brilliantly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ends 1-1 and Iceland is having a party! Announcer said there as many "registered" soccer plaayers in Argentina as whole whole population of Iceland.

JordyG

Reaction Score
If Messi was American, had double digit shot attempts, and missed a penalty kick that was such a poor attempt, the choke word would be mentioned. A lot.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Messi was American, had double digit shot attempts, and missed a penalty kick that was such a poor attempt, the choke word would be mentioned. A lot.

I am sure the "choke" word is being mentioned at different levels in his home country even now. The pressure to perform and lack of personal / team results and the Nations reaction to it pushed him to briefly leave the National Team. Nonstop comparisons to Maradonna as well as the night / day performance comparison of Renaldo will undoubtedly rear it's ugly head. If Argentina does not make it out of the group, it will not be pretty.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I am sure the "choke" word is being mentioned at different levels in his home country even now. The pressure to perform and lack of personal / team results and the Nations reaction to it pushed him to briefly leave the National Team. Nonstop comparisons to Maradonna as well as the night / day performance comparison of Renaldo will undoubtedly rear it's ugly head. If Argentina does not make it out of the group, it will not be pretty.
Oh it will be pretty. Pretty ugly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Messi didn't look good but that's a messed-up federation And Karius would be an upgrade for them. Plus Maradona just haunts them with his bad karma.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Messi didn't look good but that's a messed-up federation And Karius would be an upgrade for them. Plus Maradona just haunts them with his bad karma.
And his invisible goal.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Tears and unbridled joy today in Mexico. Proud day for a country that just jumped over its highest sports wall ever.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Tears and unbridled joy today in Mexico. Proud day for a country that just jumped over its highest sports wall ever.

Sports "wall". Hhhhmmmm. ;)

All kidding aside, Mexico played great. Their individual skill was evident in the 1st half buzzing Germany often on counter attacks and precise passing in small zones when Germany tried to press. The US will never match those skills unfortunately. The US is all about crosses and dumps.

On the other hand,. Mexico was in surprisingly precise defensive form in the second half. I was surprised they went into a defensive shell so early in the second half but their defensive effort was fantastic. :D:D:D:D

I don't know if they will make a deep run but I will root hard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom