OT: Am I the only one here with leaves still on trees? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Am I the only one here with leaves still on trees?

Reaction Score
Well, I have not been in the states in 3.5 years so I will have to ask my mom how things are going in SE CT. But in Colombia and now Guatemala, I am used to year round green. There really are no seasons in Bogota/Guatemala city, well, aside from a rainy season and a sunny, non rainy season. Plus one month of strong winds. But not your typical four seasons. I miss fall and spring.

I remember coming back from 22 months in China, everything was so gray and bleak over there, at least where I lived. No offense to anyone who liked it (it was nice in other ways). Any way, I came back to CT at the start of November (had to be in 2011) and the brilliant colors of a New England fall were so shocking to me. I had forgotten just how beautiful fall in CT was and kind of under appreciated it as a kid. It was nice but it was kind of like sensory overload after the cloudy, grey environment of Northeast China.

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
My yard is mostly oak trees. I'd say they're 3/4 full right now. I usually will rake into the first week of December. Dang oak trees.

Reaction Score
We're still getting cherry tomatoes. But that's about to end as we're getting our first frost tomorrow night and first freeze on Friday.

Last year about 1/3 of my leaves stayed in trees until after the last leaf pickup 1st week of December. They should all be well down this year before then.

I pulled all my tomatoes like a month ago but yeah, I haven't had a frost yet either and one of my rhododendrons just started blooming this past week. Whoops!

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
We got hit with a Maple fungus this year. All the leaves got black spots and started falling in late August. Had to rake when it was 80 degrees out which wasn't very fun. What's left up there now is this brown and black mix. All the work with no payoff

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I have one enormous oak, 3 large oaks and a large black cherry. I just mow every weekend and by spring its all gone.
I too am a big fan of mowing leaves. The mower bag has to be emptied more often but I find the mower does a better job and it's quicker. That being said I only have a few trees in my yard.

Reaction Score
Let alone leaves still being on the trees, there's still a ton of green leaves down here on the shoreline. It's weird seeing a bunch of trees full of green leaves next to a tree that's already lost all its leaves. What a crappy year for foliage.

I remember coming back from 22 months in China, everything was so gray and bleak over there, at least where I lived. No offense to anyone who liked it (it was nice in other ways). Any way, I came back to CT at the start of November (had to be in 2010) and the brilliant colors of a New England fall were so shocking to me. I had forgotten just how beautiful fall in CT was and kind of under appreciated it as a kid. It was nice but it was kind of like sensory overload after the cloudy, grey environment of Northeast China.

I was indifferent about New England as a kid but as an adult, I love it here. After traveling all over the states I found a new appreciation for New England - this is my favorite part of the country. To each their own, but I can't imagine living in a place without seasons or where it never gets cold. Even the summer here is nice, at least on the shoreline. Had a buddy get married years back who did his undergrad in Florida. All of his college buddies who came up for the wedding talked about how amazed they were at how beautiful and green Connecticut was, how many trees there are, etc.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Today. From Asheville NC

IMG_0308.JPG

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My trees (mostly maples, birch, and some flowering trees) are mostly down. Neighbor's poplar are still up and will be for another couple of weeks. Other neighbor's oaks won't be down until December.

Reaction Score
2 plumtrees in the front still have most of their leaves but easily mowed when they fall. Provin Mtn in the back plenty of trees all kinds, funny thing is none of their leaves, or shall i say so few it's not worth mentioning, even make it to my back yard and the few that do are easily mowed and never become an issue. Used to have 5 oaks and it killed my fall golf game and the 19th hole too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We have three apple trees, a birch tree and three maple trees.

The apple trees have tiny leaves that don’t really change color. I don’t even know when they fall off the tree, but they’re still on there now. We don’t rake them because why would we and we don’t even own a rake. The apples tend to fall off after the first freeze, but the animals handle that cleanup.

The maple trees are all bare. I don’t know where the leaves go, but they don’t stay here so I don’t care.

The birch tree is a pain in the ass. It’s close to the house, so the leaves end up in the gutter, the landscaping and in the garage. Birch trees also loss their leaves all season long, so I’m dealing with them spring, summer and fall.

It’s a nice tree, but people are coming to cut it down tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I too am a big fan of mowing leaves. The mower bag has to be emptied more often but I find the mower does a better job and it's quicker. That being said I only have a few trees in my yard.

Its way better than spending hours raking or leaf blowing and bagging especially now that the time changed and I can't really do anything after work. I've heard that its not good to mow oak leaves but I think that is just more fear mongering from the Big Brown Bag Lobby.

Reaction Score
Birch leaves are mostly gone, but rest of trees are 90% full. Last Friday was first day I actually saw leaves falling / blowing thru air.

Reaction Score
Northern Fairfield County here. My two big Maples have dropped all their leaves but I have two giant oaks that keep their leaves forever. True to their nature, they are both full and green. I'm having one of those dropped next year if it kills me (financially). It is about 100 feet tall, huge canopy and bigger around at the base than my 6' wingspan by plenty. It is healthy, but hangs right over my house. During Sandy, one of its huge limbs dropped on my roof and tore the gutter off that side of my house. During the ice storm in October the year or two before that it dropped a few huge limbs on my yard, one right next to my house. If it were to fall on the house, it would cut it in half. It is a $2,500 takedown easy, but I'll get 3-4 cords of wood out of it for the fireplace. I love trees, they are awesome. But, that oak needs to go, and both big maples also.

Reaction Score
Forget leaves falling my habanero and jalapeno plants are still producing

My Ghost pepper and jalapeno plants are still loaded. My Heirloom tomato plants still producing great and I still have Eggplants growing.

Reaction Score
My yard is mostly oak trees. I'd say they're 3/4 full right now. I usually will rake into the first week of December. Dang oak trees.
Oak trees are the absolute worst because the leaves stay on forever. My neighbor has a huge Oak and some of the leaves stay on through the winter. The rest blow into my yard.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I also did the bag the leaves thing. Now, I have a mulching blade on my zero turn John Deere and have fun.

Reaction Score

I have a rider with a mulching cover for the deck exhaust. I go over the lawn once with that, chopping up the leaves, and then I can pick up many, many more w/ the bagger before having to empty it. Even though I go over some portions of the lawn twice, the time comes out about equal, and the leaves compost much faster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom