OT: Air Fryers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Air Fryers

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A saucepan (with cover) is rice cooker.

You can cook rice in it, but an Instant pot is a pressure cooker.

I know people who use them for rice but also to replace something like a crock pot. I am happy with rice on the stove and have a crock pot, so no need.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You using it today? ;)

LOL
No.

That and the Smoker get no workouts from Dec through Apr.

Unfortunate .

So I alter my game in the winter. Did a Sicilian clone of Prince Street Pizzas Pepperoni with Fra Diavlo sauce Squares this last weekend. In a 500 degree Gas oven.

Look at the Curl on the 'roni! Thats the stuff legends are made of.

2hR6XjR.jpg

Reaction Score
or Air fryers.

Its not even an "instant Pot" that is a joke too.

"oh make rice in 4 minutes"

LOL except for the 20 minutes it takes for the thing to come up to pressure and start the timer, and the 10 minutes of natural pressure release after, yeah the rice takes 4 minutes.

what a beat down.

InstantPot can make rice, but you should be using it for other things, like braising, soups/stews, making homemade stock, chilis, curries, etc. Unless I'm making 3 cups of brown rice, I'm sticking with my actual rice cooker or a sauce pan.

Things with more liquid, meats with more connective tissue that require conversion, or where the initial pressure buildup time is less than the time saved by the shortened pressurized cook is where the InstantPot shines.

Reaction Score
On topic:

I got an air fryer for Christmas.

Not in love with it. Leaves things splotchy. You have to really not overcrowd it, and then I have to make separate batches which just doubles the time.

I made homemade fries, sweet potato fries, and reheated some frozen dumplings so far. I'll try cruciferous veggies next

Mg9-8KCq3wRynqSk6ypfsGJw2EgcgqvmTUFE9RDOomM4NzE94DsCXvaUcF-SXyE75WCCra-l9yc2Jm2H7IH4Yk8bbCOpmbmInCuz2xWm_iq7sJYGmcuVKFtWoV7XLzOxTlCig7Nm7HlJbrR0Zx-p6jeYnl4CnjnI-yQlHuzP8xAIuG5Ir8YhrCj7T4i5JqnHf5JAwdib_dAJZn88onhgj5J83FycYEswvZXS7Vv5k256_Cu8kz7uYMx-OXGJmCNJhNpw3WutU8HeGq46h8p_cbBbWp-kO5lzVg-DCCnP1rZi-8R172Ub9hj1sdf9h7McWGALGVAxfwWCNw_8M_X29n1LpZMZ7J4ZTWu1yhaLNUy_G_iQZpHed6-H0D2GD5Sg8AkLfQmNWbz8g9-DzdVSUjvD2Q5z2HrSwL7R_KN7NR9vGfbnE-495FithJ6lF3ismNSoj6CjCAhIzQVzO8KarL8AIIuHtaFikFIqV2MM1xqxpfm-zDCexsFvLG1miCGCp3jYL6cM0lG8e-ri-DnqpcWKEe9A1dHXPQK6q-JtH7kPuewCNJV1MbdZ0ELPUcLGvwtNAz1mKgEJ7BgCDloYysSYs49bnkRFo0HWe9E7VXaQMEe29_iENIt7sW_4KbkPCz2IgTeDJfLAOcMd2oCWEo_PGvF97BdksXjm4tmIKSx6FwXIYV5a_HM1dra5lPDx67W6l_MAY0-g1DPkehq1L-XnSA=w1250-h937-no

You can see the patchiness in the pic, although it still does look incredibly appetizing. They weren't BAD.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have a Propane fired Pizza oven.. I can get it up to 900 degrees. I screw around with Neapolitan from time to time. with 00 flour.

I saw something at BestBuy where it's a dome you put on top of your gas range. Around $200 IIRC. Says you can get upwards of 700F. No idea if it works well. Or where you store the thing when not in use. It ain't small.

Anyway, the pizza oven has some presets - Neopolitan, thin crust, NY style, deep dish, but also a manual option. I've been using 00 for my Neopolitans with a recipe that works great for that, but not so much for the thinner crust options, even using a pizza docker. Too much air. I've cheated and used a roller a couple of times and that was OK, but not great. So looking for a solid recipe for NY style, flour used + flour/water ratio, type of yeast, etc. I've tried a couple from pro pizza forums, but they end up tasting like average take out pies.

That said, I have experimented with doing a partial cook in pan then direct on stone similar to Colony and have come pretty close to the pock-marked look of those things.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LOL
No.

That and the Smoker get no workouts from Dec through Apr.

Unfortunate .

So I alter my game in the winter. Did a Sicilian clone of Prince Street Pizzas Pepperoni with Fra Diavlo sauce Squares this last weekend. In a 500 degree Gas oven.

Look at the Curl on the 'roni! Thats the stuff legends are made of.

2hR6XjR.jpg
Nice. Here's a half tomato, half broccoli:
1548865095857.png

August_West

Reaction Score
On topic:

I got an air fryer for Christmas.

Not in love with it. Leaves things splotchy. You have to really not overcrowd it, and then I have to make separate batches which just doubles the time.

I made homemade fries, sweet potato fries, and reheated some frozen dumplings so far. I'll try cruciferous veggies next

Mg9-8KCq3wRynqSk6ypfsGJw2EgcgqvmTUFE9RDOomM4NzE94DsCXvaUcF-SXyE75WCCra-l9yc2Jm2H7IH4Yk8bbCOpmbmInCuz2xWm_iq7sJYGmcuVKFtWoV7XLzOxTlCig7Nm7HlJbrR0Zx-p6jeYnl4CnjnI-yQlHuzP8xAIuG5Ir8YhrCj7T4i5JqnHf5JAwdib_dAJZn88onhgj5J83FycYEswvZXS7Vv5k256_Cu8kz7uYMx-OXGJmCNJhNpw3WutU8HeGq46h8p_cbBbWp-kO5lzVg-DCCnP1rZi-8R172Ub9hj1sdf9h7McWGALGVAxfwWCNw_8M_X29n1LpZMZ7J4ZTWu1yhaLNUy_G_iQZpHed6-H0D2GD5Sg8AkLfQmNWbz8g9-DzdVSUjvD2Q5z2HrSwL7R_KN7NR9vGfbnE-495FithJ6lF3ismNSoj6CjCAhIzQVzO8KarL8AIIuHtaFikFIqV2MM1xqxpfm-zDCexsFvLG1miCGCp3jYL6cM0lG8e-ri-DnqpcWKEe9A1dHXPQK6q-JtH7kPuewCNJV1MbdZ0ELPUcLGvwtNAz1mKgEJ7BgCDloYysSYs49bnkRFo0HWe9E7VXaQMEe29_iENIt7sW_4KbkPCz2IgTeDJfLAOcMd2oCWEo_PGvF97BdksXjm4tmIKSx6FwXIYV5a_HM1dra5lPDx67W6l_MAY0-g1DPkehq1L-XnSA=w1250-h937-no

You can see the patchiness in the pic, although it still does look incredibly appetizing. They weren't BAD.

I find that you have to pull the basket and give the good old "flip a pancake in a skillet" style shake and flip every few minutes to combat that. Especially if a bit overcrowded.

Reaction Score
I find that you have to pull the basket and give the good old "flip a pancake in a skillet" style shake and flip every few minutes to combat that. Especially if a bit overcrowded.

Yeah the recipe called for one shake over 19 minutes, but I definitely think I would've done it every 3-4 minutes ideally.

August_West

Reaction Score
I saw something at BestBuy where it's a dome you put on top of your gas range. Around $200 IIRC. Says you can get upwards of 700F. No idea if it works well. Or where you store the thing when not in use. It ain't small.

I have that too. Got it as a well meaning gift. I cant get it much above 500. Dont use it much. Pain in the butt to get your own dough into it. and at that temp, I dont even really want to. My daughter uses it more than I do because what it is good for is if you buy flatbreads or naan or boboli shells or whatever, she throws some sauce on and some mootz and has herself a snack or easy dinner. Works well for that. Works well as a Pizza reheater tool.

But for dough and that kind of game? Save your time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
fwiw, went old school tonight for a comfort food dinner. Romertopf clay cooker. Ain't nothing out there that cooks a moister chicken. Lemon + fresh sage. So that's the 2nd time I've used my built in oven since mid-December.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Yeah the recipe called for one shake over 19 minutes, but I definitely think I would've done it every 3-4 minutes ideally.

More than twice and youre playing with it.

Instapot chuck roast. Solid sunday meal.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Best thing I ever did was build a wood fired pizza oven on my patio, I use it all year long.

If you live anywhere in the northeast quadrant of the US and you used it today, you, sir, have huevos grandes.

Reaction Score
Speaking of deli slicers, for other pikers who, like me, do not have one and are relegated to buying their cold cuts from the deli, what is your position on taking the sample slice from the slicer person when they hold it up and say "Is this good? Would you like this slice?" It used to be that they only offered me a sample slice when I had a kid with me, but in recent years they seem of offer it to me every time. The first few times I was caught by surprise and said "Sure" out of instinct more than anything else, but now I never accept it because I am seldom feeling the urge to eat a slice of deli meat on the spot in the deli line while shopping.

Curious what the Yard take on this pressing issue is.

Next time accept. Hold your breath for a second, start coughing, grab your throat and finally spit it on the floor and shout "WHAT IS THIS PLACE !?!" They won't offer again.

Reaction Score
I like my air fryer. It's best used to cook certain snack type foods.
Frozen french fries come out very nicely. Crispy, not soggy. As was stated above, don't overload the basket, and pull it out and give it a good shaking about halfway through. Fish sticks, and breaded, or battered fish fillets come out nicely as well. Pizza rolls came out much better than in the microwave. Chicken wings come out with a nice crispy skin. I didn't like the results when I floured the chicken like you would do for frying. I do them naked, other than seasoning, which takes some experimentation to get right. I don't know about cooking larger pieces of chicken. Cleanup is much easier than a deep fryer, and you don't get grease splattering on your walls, which never really totally comes clean. If you don't eat those types of food, you don't need an air fryer.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Grocery shopping is woman's work. Deduct 1 point from your machismo ranking.
Ranking machismo: deduct ~6 years from your life expectancy. Perhaps not the best years of your life, but still...

Reaction Score
Speaking of experiments with wings, I have been trying different recipes for my air fryer.

Try this one. When you eat pickles, save the brine in a mason jar. Dill and garlic, not bread and butter. Marinate the wings in the brine for at least 2-3 hours, longer if you’d like. Air fry them and sprinkle with garlic salt. I’d enter them in a competition.

Reaction Score
How do air fryers differ from a convection oven? I have always reasoned that a convection oven probably does pretty close to what an air fryer does and would be a waste of money since our range is convection. Granted, it is bigger than needed for many jobs, but we already own it. What should sell me on an air fryer? I kind of want one but I presume I’ll be disappointed.

My biggest interest is to be able to get really crisp boneless chicken breaded in almond flour or sesame flour for low card/keto meals that remains moist inside. I feel the oven dries the chicken out before the breading is crisp enough too often. Would an air fryer be better for this than convection?

Reaction Score
How do air fryers differ from a convection oven? I have always reasoned that a convection oven probably does pretty close to what an air fryer does and would be a waste of money since our range is convection. Granted, it is bigger than needed for many jobs, but we already own it. What should sell me on an air fryer? I kind of want one but I presume I’ll be disappointed.

My biggest interest is to be able to get really crisp boneless chicken breaded in almond flour or sesame flour for low card/keto meals that remains moist inside. I feel the oven dries the chicken out before the breading is crisp enough too often. Would an air fryer be better for this than convection?

It is just a smaller more circular convection oven. And I haven’t had luck with coatings on chicken yet. Chicken is best with the skin on or a spray of Pam on the surface.

It’s convenient for me. Roasts asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans in minutes. When I make dinner for my daughter. Fries or tots in 11 minutes from the freezer. I make potato skins. It’s just quicker and convenient and gives a healthier fried option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom