OT: Air Fryers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Air Fryers

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Take a look at the Breville Smart Oven Air. Unlike single use appliances which almost all air fryers are, this is basically a small convection oven on steroids. Tonight I made a batch of sweet potato chips and also baked some cookies. Since I got the thing in mid-December (and as I've mentioned in another thread, I got it for free since I rep the brand), we have used our built-in oven exactly once, for braising a roast. We use the Air for just about everything now. Wife has made excellent air-fried wings a couple times and I've done air-fried battered chicken for chicken & waffles. I've done great fried egg rolls and wonton from scratch, even made pizza in it, comes with a 13" pan. Great for toasting, broiling, reheating, and even proofing dough and dehydrating.

Every time I have to move my rice cooker (which in fairness, I bought for our cafe to make oatmeal) to get to something else I actually need, I'm reminded to never buy any appliance that only does one thing, unless it's a coffee maker or coffee grinder. Those two things and the Air are the only appliances that merit countertop space in our house.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Okay, since I don't deep fry anyway we will not being getting an air fryer. Thanks to you who responded.

As for the whaler group...your posts did not make sense.

If you change your mind, you should get one of those handheld models:
1548824725900.png

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Anyone out there like these? And why?

My wife just said we should get one. Deep down I don't see a need.
Good choice. You want mine? For Free? Used twice. Cost me over a hundred.

Healthy but no taste. I watch what I eat, but give me fries deep fried.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Take a look at the Breville Smart Oven Air. Unlike single use appliances which almost all air fryers are, this is basically a small convection oven on steroids. Tonight I made a batch of sweet potato chips and also baked some cookies. Since I got the thing in mid-December (and as I've mentioned in another thread, I got it for free since I rep the brand), we have used our built-in oven exactly once, for braising a roast. We use the Air for just about everything now. Wife has made excellent air-fried wings a couple times and I've done air-fried battered chicken for chicken & waffles. I've done great fried egg rolls and wonton from scratch, even made pizza in it, comes with a 13" pan. Great for toasting, broiling, reheating, and even proofing dough and dehydrating.

Every time I have to move my rice cooker (which in fairness, I bought for our cafe to make oatmeal) to get to something else I actually need, I'm reminded to never buy any appliance that only does one thing, unless it's a coffee maker or coffee grinder. Those two things and the Air are the only appliances that merit counter top space in our house.
I bought a Breville 8 years ago. If it finally goes down, I am buying another one. I don;t care about the cost. Best money I ever spent. Throw away your toaster.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Way more useful than an instapot.

I’ve had one for about a year. Use it all time barely turn on my oven now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone out there like these? And why?

My wife just said we should get one. Deep down I don't see a need.

Get one. One of the most used things in our kitchen. Fantastic, healthy way to get crispy, fried-like food.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Get one. One of the most used things in our kitchen. Fantastic, healthy way to get crispy, fried-like food.
It’s great for vegetables and I do lean chicken breast and pork chops in it all the time. Come out great

arch

Reaction Score

Every time I have to move my rice cooker (which in fairness, I bought for our cafe to make oatmeal) to get to something else I actually need, I'm reminded to never buy any appliance that only does one thing, unless it's a coffee maker or coffee grinder. Those two things and the Air are the only appliances that merit countertop space in our house.

If Breville makes it, buy it.
Santa brought me one of their toasters. It has a button that, when pressed, raises, then lowers your toast. That’s right, ONE touch and the toast rises slowly up so one can inspect the doneness and then slowly retreats for more toasting. It’s hypnotizing.
Yes, it’s ungodly expensive but what’s killing me is the bread costs.

Gotta try this next Breville | the Smart Oven® Pizzaiolo | BPZ800 | Ovens

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s great for vegetables and I do lean chicken breast and pork chops in it all the time. Come out great

Same. It's also great at re-heating things. Leftovers can also be brought back to life in a way they can't in a toaster oven.

Even bad for you snacks like the previously mentioned Davio's Philly Cheese Steak Springrolls or Totinos pizza bites, come out much better than in the oven.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've been looking into buying an air fryer as well. This is tough though. Whaler is in the "No" camp, while A-Dub endorses them. This is a pickle.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If Breville makes it, buy it.
Agreed. We have several Breville appliances, including a toaster/convection oven. All are great. Definitely the most reliable appliance maker in my experience.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've been looking into buying an air fryer as well. This is tough tough. Whaler is in the "No" camp, while A-Dub endorses them. This is a pickle.

I said it’s fine.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've been looking into buying an air fryer as well. This is tough tough. Whaler is in the "No" camp, while A-Dub endorses them. This is a pickle.

air compiliation.JPG

If it helps in your decision making, a few things I've done recently on my demo units (from top left): buttermilk battered fried chicken, reuben egg rolls, churros, pizza, donuts, tempura kale (don't judge me), sweet potato chips, brown butter chocolate chip cookies (pizza and cookies were baked, not fried).

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Thanks for the reply. Is the oven ever less than $400? :cool:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply. Is the oven ever less than $400? :cool:

It was on sale for $319 from Thanksgiving through Christmas, so you missed that. And while it would be ideal to buy one through Tom's Amazon link to support the BY, I imagine you, like I, have a stack of 20% off coupons from BB&B, which will get you to that same price...

btw, if it needs to be mentioned, I receive no compensation or benefit personally in any way from talking about this here. It's simply a well-designed product I use a lot and really like. There are products in the line where I go, "huh? why?", but this isn't one of those.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Instapot?

No. An actual rice cooker. Cuisinart, I think. We used to make a crapton of oatmeal to serve at the coffeehouse and I was making it in an electric soup kettle. That was a major chore to clean every day, so the rice cooker was a pretty good solution. But I haven't used the thing in almost 8 years now. At the very least I should probably just tuck it away in the basement.

As I'm in a Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table almost every weekend, I see a lot of InstantPots being sold. People apparently love them. I don't have a use for it. But watching those things fly out the door isn't half as upsetting to me as all the Nespresso units I see being sold. That makes me want to cry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom