OT: Air Fryers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Air Fryers

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No, he probably means rice cooker. My mother bought my wife and I a pasta cooker. The rest of the world calls it...wait a minute. I have to get this right... a medium saucepan.

I guess the point of the pasta cooker is to be tall enough and to hold enough water to fit whole spaghetti noodles without forcing them to bend. It took three times (or more) longer to heat the water though. We gave it away.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No, he probably means rice cooker. My mother bought my wife and I a pasta cooker. The rest of the world calls it...wait a minute. I have to get this right... a medium saucepan.

I guess the point of the pasta cooker is to be tall enough and to hold enough water to fit whole spaghetti noodles without forcing them to bend. It took three times (or more) longer to heat the water though. We gave it away.

Point being. An instapot is a rice cooker. Nothing more. What a scam.

August_West

Reaction Score
Instapots are for people who don’t have deli slicers. Noobs.

or Air fryers.

Its not even an "instant Pot" that is a joke too.

"oh make rice in 4 minutes"

LOL except for the 20 minutes it takes for the thing to come up to pressure and start the timer, and the 10 minutes of natural pressure release after, yeah the rice takes 4 minutes.

what a beat down.

Husky25

Reaction Score
As I'm in a Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table almost every weekend, I see a lot of InstantPots being sold. People apparently love them.

The one I bought off Amazon had a 4.7* rating off nearly 29,000(!!) reviews.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Instapots are for people who don’t have deli slicers. Noobs.
1548860654744.png

Husky25

Reaction Score
Point being. An instapot is a rice cooker. Nothing more. What a scam.
A saucepan (with cover) is rice cooker.

You can cook rice in it, but an Instant pot is a pressure cooker.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speaking of deli slicers, for other pikers who, like me, do not have one and are relegated to buying their cold cuts from the deli, what is your position on taking the sample slice from the slicer person when they hold it up and say "Is this good? Would you like this slice?" It used to be that they only offered me a sample slice when I had a kid with me, but in recent years they seem of offer it to me every time. The first few times I was caught by surprise and said "Sure" out of instinct more than anything else, but now I never accept it because I am seldom feeling the urge to eat a slice of deli meat on the spot in the deli line while shopping.

Curious what the Yard take on this pressing issue is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Speaking of deli slicers, for other pikers who, like me, do not have one and are relegated to buying their cold cuts from the deli, what is your position on taking the sample slice from the slicer person when they hold it up and say "Is this good? Would you like this slice?" It used to be that they only offered me a sample slice when I had a kid with me, but in recent years they seem of offer it to me every time. The first few times I was caught by surprise and said "Sure" out of instinct more than anything else, but now I never accept it because I am seldom feeling the urge to eat a slice of deli meat on the spot in the deli line while shopping.

Grocery shopping is woman's work. Deduct 1 point from your machismo ranking.

August_West

Reaction Score

for 12 bucks a lb you take the slice and ask for a second.

Or you can do your own meat roasting from .99 cents to 3.99 a lb (depending on the meat) and put it on your baller slicer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Since you brought it up, here are a few pies I've made with the thing (including an apple/gorgonzola), also a foccacia and stuffed mushrooms.

pizzaiolo compilation.JPG

Like any pizza oven, it is sort of a one-trick pony, and at $800 you have to really like making and eating pizza for it to be of value. But they do sell. I've sold one to a guy who put it in his man cave.

It works exactly as advertised - the key is the top element where you can control the inner and outer rings depending on if you want a lighter crust or the leopard-spotting as with a Neopolitan (which it'll do in 2 minutes at 700F). Biggest drawback is that it's limited - there's no headspace for making rising breads. OTOH, if you can fit whatever you want to "wood-fire" in the provided deep dish pizza pan (e.g. splatchcocked chicken, pork chops, veggies, etc.) it does a great job on those. No BBB coupons on this one, it's on the website or at Williams-Sonoma only until April.

Again, I get no compensation for this. If it's against BY policy, please feel free to pull it down.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Grocery shopping is woman's work. Deduct 1 point from your machismo ranking.
Mrs. 8893 does 99.9% of the grocery shopping. I have a full kitchen in the office and when I was in weight loss mode--and when I still occasionally need to do a week or two of remedial weight maintenance--my go-to lunch is a sandwich with Boar's Head lower sodium turkey and/or ham, so I load up on that and other relatively healthy eating and snacking foods for the office at the local Stop & Shop during the work week.

August_West

Reaction Score
Since you brought it up, here are a few pies I've made with the thing (including an apple/gorgonzola), also a foccacia and stuffed mushrooms.

View attachment 38925

Like any pizza oven, it is sort of a one-trick pony, and at $800 you have to really like making and eating pizza for it to be of value. But they do sell. I've sold one to a guy who put it in his man cave.

It works exactly as advertised - the key is the top element where you can control the inner and outer rings depending on if you want a lighter crust or the leopard-spotting as with a Neopolitan (which it'll do in 2 minutes at 700F). Biggest drawback is that it's limited - there's no headspace for making rising breads. OTOH, if you can fit whatever you want to "wood-fire" in the provided deep dish pizza pan (e.g. splatchcocked chicken, pork chops, veggies, etc.) it does a great job on those. No BBB coupons on this one, it's on the website or at Williams-Sonoma only until April.

Again, I get no compensation for this. If it's against BY policy, please feel free to pull it down.

I have a Propane fired Pizza oven.. I can get it up to 900 degrees. I screw around with Neapolitan from time to time. with 00 flour.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

View attachment 38925

What's the one in the lower left corner?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom