OT: A reak good spiral ham | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: A reak good spiral ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am doing a juice fast right now and almost drooled on myself reading this thread.

Reaction Score
Honey Baked Ham is outstanding. Kick it up a notch by pouring a coke over it with 10 minutes to go...
Also, bone in rib roast is the way to go...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Prime Rib is what we are having for New Year's as I buy a 8-10 lbs and rub sea salt with garlic all over it while baking it on low for 5-6 hours.

Christmas we will be having a smoked Ham and a fried turkey at the mother in laws house.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gotta say, I have never understood the attraction of prime rib.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

I'm with you there, 8893. It gets a shoulder shrug from me.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Honey Baked Ham is outstanding. Kick it up a notch by pouring a coke over it with 10 minutes to go...
Also, bone in rib roast is the way to go...

Interesting on the coke. Does it eat away at the ham?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Interesting on the coke. Does it eat away at the ham?

Doesn't have time to rot it away like a tooth in a cup. The coke goes flat and basically reduces down to a sweet glaze.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Doesn't have time to rot it away like a tooth in a cup. The coke goes flat and basically reduces down to a sweet glaze.
Dr.Pepper works well also. Or you can go full Alton Brown and rub it with mustard, coat with crushed ginger snaps, and mist with bourbon. I did that once with a non-spiral ham, oh my.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
As an outside observer (Jew), allow me to say that it seems almost as if all the great things about Xmas (presents, family traditions, general cheer, etc) are completely neutralized by your insistence on eating a monstrous chunk of Spam spray-painted with honey glaze by stoned college kids working for $10/hour on their winter break. (Dove, that last part answers your question about the Honey Baked Ham Company.)

I mean, I get it's a tradition and all, and we've got our own gross food traditions, but gefilte fish is an app, not the main course. And it ain't a kosher thing. I'll eat a pig even if it's doesn't have 1/10 the charm of Arnold from Green Acres. I like bacon as much as the next guy, and I dig a ham sandwich from time to time, but baked ham is nasty. Anytime you can get a mixture of sickly sweet and ocean salty flavors and springy texture -- and complete homogeneity of taste and texture -- into one piece of meat, you have to not ever eat that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
nomar said:
Anytime you can get a mixture of sickly sweet and ocean salty flavors and springy texture -- and complete homogeneity of taste and texture -- into one piece of meat, you have to not ever eat that.

Kind of have to agree it is barely a step up from that foulest thanksgiving fowl on the "choke it down for tradition" scale.

Reaction Score
As an outside observer (Jew), allow me to say that it seems almost as if all the great things about Xmas (presents, family traditions, general cheer, etc) are completely neutralized by your insistence on eating a monstrous chunk of Spam spray-painted with honey glaze by stoned college kids working for $10/hour on their winter break. (Dove, that last part answers your question about the Honey Baked Ham Company.)

I mean, I get it's a tradition and all, and we've got our own gross food traditions, but gefilte fish is an app, not the main course. And it ain't a kosher thing. I'll eat a pig even if it's doesn't have 1/10 the charm of Arnold from Green Acres. I like bacon as much as the next guy, and I dig a ham sandwich from time to time, but baked ham is nasty. Anytime you can get a mixture of sickly sweet and ocean salty flavors and springy texture -- and complete homogeneity of taste and texture -- into one piece of meat, you have to not ever eat that.

I'm reminded of the wise words I read on the front of a D.P. Dough box nearly every drunken weekend of my freshman year.

ToEach.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A spiral ham is what you serve when you can't be bothered to actually cook something decent.

"Merry Christmas. Here is a piece of meat that died a very long time ago - but don't worry, we killed the rotting bits with salt and maple syrup."

A man who cared about his guests would step up and see to it that there was a standing rib roast coming out of that oven. Jesus wasn't born so that you could serve your people a salted pig carcass.

(True story - my mom served a ham on Easter about 20 years ago...I don't exactly remember the sequence of events, but my younger brother made a joke about something that resulted in the ham being thrown in the yard and everyone but the two of us storming out of the room.)

Reaction Score
I now "dry age" my prime rib in the fridge for about 5-7 days on a platter just covered with a dish towel, then bill's recipe of lots of crushed garlic and sea or kosher salt, unbelievable.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A spiral ham is what you serve when you can't be bothered to actually cook something decent.

"Merry Christmas. Here is a piece of meat that died a very long time ago - but don't worry, we killed the rotting bits with salt and maple syrup."

A man who cared about his guests would step up and see to it that there was a standing rib roast coming out of that oven. Jesus wasn't born so that you could serve your people a salted pig carcass.

(True story - my mom served a ham on Easter about 20 years ago...I don't exactly remember the sequence of events, but my younger brother made a joke about something that resulted in the ham being thrown in the yard and everyone but the two of us storming out of the room.)

Christmas With The Fishys!

I married into a family where this ham has been a staple since 1967. The starters of the tradition have passed by Mrs Dove needs that connection. At least the baked apple has been dismissed.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Christmas With The Fishys!

I married into a family where this ham has been a staple since 1967. The starters of the tradition have passed by Mrs Dove needs that connection. At least the baked apple has been dismissed.

I agree with the anti-baked ham crowd, but if that baked apple is stuffed into the maw of a properly roasted whole pig then we have an entirely different story........

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
General rule of thumb is that the better the cut of meat and the fresher the cut of meat means less seasoning is needed.

A good quality cut of any meat- beef, pork, fowl, fish, etc needs little seasoning. The seasoning should enhance the flavors and texture, not mask its deficiencies.

We're doing surf and turf skewers. Gonna get a couple of nice steaks and cube them up along with a couple of pounds of gulf shrimp caught that morning. Personalize them with some combo of mushrooms, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, onions and peppers.

Reaction Score
I now "dry age" my prime rib in the fridge for about 5-7 days on a platter just covered with a dish towel, then bill's recipe of lots of crushed garlic and sea or kosher salt, unbelievable.

Isn't "dry age" just another way of saying "let the meat get moldy"?

FYI - One thing that needs to be made clear in this thread. The pig is the tastiest of all animals. And that's not up for debate. You can keep your fat

Reaction Score

Agree. It's good for soaking up horseradish sauce but not much else. That cut is meant to be cooked over open flame. Roasting it just makes it grainy and flavorless -- although I will admit that it depends greatly on the quality of the roast. Most hotel/restaurant style prime ribs are awful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't "dry age" just another way of saying "let the meat get moldy"?

FYI - One thing that needs to be made clear in this thread. The pig is the tastiest of all animals. And that's not up for debate. You can keep your fat
Under ideal financial circumstances one would purchase prime beef that was aged for about 3 weeks ala Peter Lugers, but by letting it dry out ( no mold) you have to trim off a bit of the outer layer but the flavor of the meat becomes more intense, even for choice stop and shop cuts. BTW Lugers and all great steakhouses season their beef with their own mixes and sometimes put butter on it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Glad to see everyone realized how much turkey sucks and is looking at alternatives for Xmas dinner. ;-)

My family has never had turkey for Christmas. Ham, Pork, Lasagna and various sides of an Italian persuasion is typically on the Bill o' Fare for Christmas Day. Our own rendition of the 7 fish dinner highlights the after-mass Christmas Eve dinner. Christmas is at my Sister's house in North Jersey this year. Normally I head back to my Parents' house in MA. Should be interesting...

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Under ideal financial circumstances one would purchase prime beef that was aged for about 3 weeks ala Peter Lugers, but by letting it dry out ( no mold) you have to trim off a bit of the outer layer but the flavor of the meat becomes more intense, even for choice stop and shop cuts. BTW Lugers and all great steakhouses season their beef with their own mixes and sometimes put butter on it.

No kidding on the butter. Drizzling butter on a steak is almost cheating. It's like adding bacon to something. Of course it'll taste better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom