OT: A reak good spiral ham | The Boneyard

OT: A reak good spiral ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Every Christmas we do a Carando spiral ham. Thinking of going different.

I know BJs carries quality meats. Anyone do a spiral ham from there? And how about a company called the Honey Baked Ham Store?

Anywhere else? I needs a fine ham.

Reaction Score
The Honey Baked Hams are good, but if you're used to Carando or something from a wholesale club you'll fall off your chair at the cost.

Also, you don't need a spiral cut ham. It's pretty simple to carve one. I mean, it's not like a turkey...its just a big hunk of meat with a bone in the center.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I know BJs carries quality meats. Anyone do a spiral ham from there? And how about a company called the Honey Baked Ham Store?

I know there's a joke to be made from that statement.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Honey Baked Hams are good, but if you're used to Carando or something from a wholesale club you'll fall off your chair at the cost.

Also, you don't need a spiral cut ham. It's pretty simple to carve one. I mean, it's not like a turkey...its just a big hunk of meat with a bone in the center.

We know a 9 pounder runs about $66. And Mrs. Dove is a traditionalist and has to have the spiral.

Reaction Score
This may be the most unusual OT post I've seen on the BY.

Unfortunately, I have no spiral ham advice to offer.

Reaction Score
We got one from Aldi's that was actually very good both in taste and quality.

Reaction Score
We know a 9 pounder runs about $66. And Mrs. Dove is a traditionalist and has to have the spiral.

Then tell Mrs Dove to get off her duff and get her own ham.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I believe we got a small Smithfield ham from BJs. I though it was good... but then I'm easy.. did not use the enclosed glaze... just straight up. I'm not a huge fan of sweet glazes.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Glad to see everyone realized how much turkey sucks and is looking at alternatives for Xmas dinner. ;-)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Honey Baked Ham is the way to go - especially if you bought MicroSoft stock when it was an IPO.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Glad to see everyone realized how much turkey sucks and is looking at alternatives for Xmas dinner. ;-)

It's not that turkey sucks for taste or flavor, it's just more work to do on a holiday.

As several have said, ham (spiral or traditional) is a fire and forget food. Shove it in the oven at a low temp for a few hours and it's ready to serve.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We got one from Aldi's that was actually very good both in taste and quality.

Or, go up a notch and get from Trader Joe's, generally $3.99/lb, no nitrates/nitrites, and when they want them rotated out of valuable shelf space, they can come down to .99/lb and can be frozen. That last tip isn't likely to line up with your needed timing.

Reaction Score
We've gotten a good number of Honey Baked spiral cut hams and they've always been delicious. Yeah, they are pricey, but worth it. Usually a line out the door at their store before Easter. My local Stop & Shop is also selling them now for the holidays.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I have done both Honey baked and BJ's. As a matter of fact the Honeybaked ham place was in the same shopping center in NJ as the BJ's. Both are very good. Honey baked ham however is overpriced. I would go with BJ's. For Christmas we do a beef tenderloin and have gotten the meat from BJ's everytime and have always been happy. I have also visited a BJs in Mass and bought meat for a family reunion this summer. Everything was excellent, so based on an n of 2 I would go BJs

Reaction Score
Every store is advertising prime rib for the holidays, a 7 pounder is $35. If your gonna clog your arteries........

Reaction Score

Agree with Deepster on Honey Baked ham. Very good but real expensive for what you get. Hey, it is the holidays and it is your money so get the Honey Baked Ham.

Reaction Score
This may be the most unusual OT post I've seen on the BY.

Unfortunately, I have no spiral ham advice to offer.
You've been here since 2011 and this is the most unusual post you've seen?! Clearly to just hit a few you missed the era of Turkey Vultures, Little Duckies, Trials and a innumerous superstitious ticks. Where you around when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If our admins were worth a damn, they would find the love potion guy in search of a lawyer thread and bring it out to show what heights the BY can reach.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If our admins were worth a damn, they would find the love potion guy in search of a lawyer thread and bring it out to show what heights the BY can reach.
Still my favorite thread ever and second isn't even close.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Excuse me, but what does this have to do with CAHUSKY having finally earned his degree?

Reaction Score
Spirals? There must be some Vector Calculus in here somewhere. This may be more complicated than you thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom