OT: 4-6 week delay for Yard Goats Stadium | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: 4-6 week delay for Yard Goats Stadium

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Don't tease me like that.
c124e2e2501eebe007f7b312e17645ce.jpg

Reaction Score
My guess is the contractor declares it substantially completed and the Yard Goat owner disagrees, which gets him off the hook on a $2 million obligation. Litigation ensues.
Well you can't just "declare" substantial completion. At least in a normal deal you can't. This is Hartford so who knows. But there are specific milestones that must be met. One is typically a certificate of occupancy from the city. It might be a tco. That gives you the right to use the facility as the final touches are completed. The city is in a bind here because it can't really call the bond without delaying further. Plus the bonding co will likely bring in the same builder to complete the project. It also can't replace the developer at this point again without huge delay.

Reaction Score
Well you can't just "declare" substantial completion. At least in a normal deal you can't. This is Hartford so who knows. But there are specific milestones that must be met. One is typically a certificate of occupancy from the city. It might be a tco. That gives you the right to use the facility as the final touches are completed. The city is in a bind here because it can't really call the bond without delaying further. Plus the bonding co will likely bring in the same builder to complete the project. It also can't replace the developer at this point again without huge delay.

Yeah, the TCO is part of the deal, but since the city rep has been colluding with Solomon, I doubt they'll give it to them regardless.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Then you know where this is headed.
I thought it was headed there months ago and was pleasantly surprised that Bronen's cooler head prevailed. He inherited a terrible mess with no good answers, but I believed then--and still believe--that the delays and other consequences that will be caused by litigation will be worse for the city than trying to find another solution. The problem is that it appears that the developer also realizes this and is using it as leverage, and there has to be a breaking point somewhere.

August_West

Reaction Score
Not my fault people keep getting shot in Hartford. #ratatattat #kevlarnightattheyardgoats

If you are sitting behind the 1st base dugout, which is more likely:
A) getting hit by a foul ball
B) getting hit by a stray bullet

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Gee, it's almost like a) this doesn't happen anywhere else, and b) Hartford is a war zone that's impossible to make it out from alive.

You got issues, bro.

Reaction Score
Gee, it's almost like a) this doesn't happen anywhere else, and b) Hartford is a war zone that's impossible to make it out from alive.

You got issues, bro.

Yeah. I'm not sure people get shot in broad daylight on a weekday at 10 am in Anytown, USA. Or double homicides in the 'good part of town' happen and it's barely even a news item anymore. Or that the city's employ "Shot Tracker" technology to respond to all the murderin' quicker.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Yeah. I'm not sure people get shot in broad daylight on a weekday at 10 am in Anytown, USA. Or double homicides in the 'good part of town' happen and it's barely even a news item anymore. Or that the city's employ "Shot Tracker" technology to respond to all the murderin' quicker.

The rest of us haven't had any trouble in Hartford. We'll keep coming and going there as we please, and you can stay in your bunker.

Reaction Score

I don't spend much (or any) time in Hartford so this is not an issue I'm particularly close to, but I would guess that most people have gotten the point you made a long time ago about Hartford being dangerous. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think what makes your posts so off-putting is that you seem to relish reporting this stuff, like it's fun. Not to get on a soapbox, but you spend any amount of time with the people whose lives are affected by this stuff and it's not that cool.

Reaction Score
I don't spend much (or any) time in Hartford so this is not an issue I'm particularly close to, but I would guess that most people have gotten the point you made a long time ago about Hartford being dangerous. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think what makes your posts so off-putting is that you seem to relish reporting this stuff, like it's fun. Not to get on a soapbox, but you spend any amount of time with the people whose lives are affected by this stuff and it's not that cool.

I certainly don't relish people being shot or murdered. And, obviously, I don't have any control over if/when that happens. I guess I'm just amazed at the people who blindly defend Hartford like it's this great city and there's nothing to fear. Maybe after my 100th article link to someone being stabbed or shot down in broad daylight, they'll finally start to think otherwise. Maybe not.

August_West

Reaction Score
The only other place that I'm aware of wide spread implementation of Shot Spotter is Detroit.

People may draw their own conclusions from that statement.

Detroit police to give update on Shotspotter technology

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I certainly don't relish people being shot or murdered. And, obviously, I don't have any control over if/when that happens. I guess I'm just amazed at the people who blindly defend Hartford like it's this great city and there's nothing to fear. Maybe after my 100th article link to someone being stabbed or shot down in broad daylight, they'll finally start to think otherwise. Maybe not.

It's clear you no little to nothing about Hartford. For the average person most streets in Hartford are fine. Obviously, common sense applies however many of the shootings or stabbings you read about is two people who know each other attacking each other. You being a random person nothing is going to happen to you.

People who dumb on Hartford blindly amazing like it's this terrorist war zone and there's everything to fear. See what I did there.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Nobody's going to be convinced by your obsession when they have their own life experiences that don't jive with your theories. And I don't think the Yard Goats are going to pack up and move out because of one lone crusader on an internet message board.

Reaction Score
The only other place that I'm aware of wide spread implementation of Shot Spotter is Detroit.

It's in Chicago too iirc. Which is a bit of a way zone itself these days.

New Haven has about a third of the city's square mileage covered. Obviously - certain areas have a high % of coverage.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It's in Chicago too iirc. Which is a bit of a way zone itself these days.

As does Boston, I'd be surprised if any major city didn't have shotspotter at this point.

Reaction Score
Nobody's going to be convinced by your obsession when they have their own life experiences that don't jive with your theories.

And nobody's going to be convinced things are "fine" in Hartford because a guy named Stairmaster said so.

Reaction Score
HARTFORD — City officials have confirmed that the developers of a $63 million minor league ballpark being built just north of downtown have not met their legal obligation to "substantially complete" construction by today.

The city, developer and Hartford Yard Goats owner Josh Solomon signed an agreement in January making May 17 the deadline for handing over the stadium in preparation for a May 31 home opener.

Mayor Luke Bronin and Solomon were not immediately available for comment.

When told of the city's announcement Joe McEacharn, president of the Eastern League, said "I'm not surprised."

Bronin's Office: Construction Of Dunkin' Donuts Park Not 'Substantially Complete'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom