OT: 4-6 week delay for Yard Goats Stadium | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: 4-6 week delay for Yard Goats Stadium

Reaction Score
They were screwed in November when they didn't get the sod down. Structural changes to the roof and other specs that everyone's slap fighting about wouldn't impact opening day in a measurable way - or at least not to the degree that they couldn't play baseball. The sod however, is everything. Had to be down in November to set. They had warm weather throughout December and even up to a few weeks ago. It's still not down. They'll have to wait post-thaw, and they'll be lucky (extremely) if they're in the stadium in two months past opening day.

Thing is - they had four months of site prep post-ground breaking and would have known about any issues pertaining to that then. Just a half baked plan run by half baked, greedy people being executed incompetently. The design changes were almost all cosmetic and were most certainly agreed to by everyone. No way a contractor is turning down and extra $10 million. No way the city doesn't know the cost up front. And no way the Yard Goats don't want more upgrades.

The delay was caused by the steel not being delivered on time. That set back almost everything.

Reaction Score
This is karma working on a massive scale.

Reaction Score
How do you know where I've lived?
Based on your oft-stated presumption that Hartford is awash in major crime, I think it's safe to assume you either didn't live in a city in the 1990s when crime really WAS a major problem, or you just like to dump on Hartford for some strange reason.

Reaction Score
Based on your oft-stated presumption that Hartford is awash in major crime, I think it's safe to assume you either didn't live in a city in the 1990s when crime really WAS a major problem, or you just like to dump on Hartford for some strange reason.

Or.....it is awash in major crime.

Hartford Homicide Rate Climbs to Highest in New England
Hartford, Connecticut Crime
Crime in America: Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities Under 200,000 - Law Street (TM)
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities In America

What am I missing?

Reaction Score
I dunno, context? You realize that these crimes happen, just as in any other city, predominantly in specific and constrained geographic areas, right? Working people are not getting shot outside their office buildings, or going to the theatre at night, or leaving Vaughan's at 1am on a Sunday morning.

Reaction Score
I dunno, context? You realize that these crimes happen, just as in any other city, predominantly in specific and constrained geographic areas, right? Working people are not getting shot outside their office buildings, or going to the theatre at night, or leaving Vaughan's at 1am on a Sunday morning.

I dunno. I think that's a pretty uninformed opinion. It doesn't happen as often in "any other city" based on the stats. I think just shoving it to the side and saying "It's fine" is being obtuse.

Reaction Score
I dunno. I think that's a pretty uninformed opinion. It doesn't happen as often in "any other city" based on the stats. I think just shoving it to the side and saying "It's fine" is being obtuse.
It might be "uninformed" if I didn't live and work in Hartford. I'm having a hard time reconciling how, living and working in Hartford, my opinion could be "uninformed."

When I was in the Navy we went to St. Thomas. A guy on our ship got attacked and slashed badly with a knife in a neighborhood we later found out was dangerous. Should I now conclude that St. Thomas is dangerous and nobody should visit?

Reaction Score
It might be "uninformed" if I didn't live and work in Hartford. I'm having a hard time reconciling how, living and working in Hartford, my opinion could be "uninformed."

When I was in the Navy we went to St. Thomas. A guy on our ship got attacked and slashed badly with a knife in a neighborhood we later found out was dangerous. Should I now conclude that St. Thomas is dangerous and nobody should visit?

Well, you just made my point for me. Because you live there and haven't been shot (yet) doesn't mean a thing when you overlay all the stats that say otherwise. Hartford was #1 in New England for per capita murders in 2015. That's not true because you weren't one of the bodies?

Reaction Score
body-disappear.gif

Reaction Score
Well, you just made my point for me. Because you live there and haven't been shot (yet) doesn't mean a thing when you overlay all the stats that say otherwise. Hartford was #1 in New England for per capita murders in 2015. That's not true because you weren't one of the bodies?
I made your point for you? Me and everyone else that works downtown and hasn't been shot, Everyone who lives in Hartford and hasn't been shot, everyone who visits Hartford and hasn't been shot have made my point for you. You're just so blinded by either fear of cities or prejudice against Hartford to see it. I'm not arguing that there is not crime in Hartford, I'm arguing that you are overemphasizing how "rampant" it is, as if a shooting on Albany Avenue somehow makes it dangerous to go to the XL Center, or to live in the South End. Given your logic, I'm amazed you haven't moved to a safer country than the USA, because we are definitely a dangerous country by your given definition.

Reaction Score
I made your point for you? Me and everyone else that works downtown and hasn't been shot, Everyone who lives in Hartford and hasn't been shot, everyone who visits Hartford and hasn't been shot have made my point for you. You're just so blinded by either fear of cities or prejudice against Hartford to see it. I'm not arguing that there is not crime in Hartford, I'm arguing that you are overemphasizing how "rampant" it is, as if a shooting on Albany Avenue somehow makes it dangerous to go to the XL Center, or to live in the South End. Given your logic, I'm amazed you haven't moved to a safer country than the USA, because we are definitely a dangerous country by your given definition.

Yes. And you just made it again.

Not everyone who visits or lives in a dangerous city will be shot. I lived in the north and the south end most of my life. I left. I wouldn't go back if you gave me a free house. You'd be stupid if you did considering all the other alternatives.

Reaction Score
Yes. And you just made it again.

Not everyone who visits or lives in a dangerous city will be shot. I lived in the north and the south end most of my life. I left. I wouldn't go back if you gave me a free house. You'd be stupid if you did considering all the other alternatives.
All I can say is I hope I never share your opinion or, evidently, whatever experience you had to make you feel that way.

Reaction Score
I am sure there will not be a police presence at the game. Total chaos. Just like Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. I go to games there and people are getting robbed and shot in the streets.

Give me a break.

I was talking to a few people yesterday who work in Hartford like I do. And we are all excited to catch several games and get a few brews around the stadium. I think the only issue for weekday games is traffic coming into stadium.

Reaction Score
All I can say is I hope I never share your opinion or, evidently, whatever experience you had to make you feel that way.

It isn't a mystery. I watched my neighborhoods decline rapidly while I lived here, was lucky enough to move out and have since read weekly accounts of people being shot and/or killed in them. Glad the happy hour insurance crowd will catch a few games. That will surely bring Hartford back.

Reaction Score

Hartford's small population (and area) are always going to provide high crimes numbers based on per capita. In most cities nationally, Hartford would also consist of West Hartford, Windsor, Bloomfield, Wethersfield, Newington, etc. Since it's only 18 square miles much of it including intense pockets of poverty, crime numbers look back for a city of it's size.

This is not to say crime is not an issue. But again it's tied to the severe poverty and a lack of funds to help alleviate the blight.

Reaction Score
It isn't a mystery. I watched my neighborhoods decline rapidly while I lived here, was lucky enough to move out and have since read weekly accounts of people being shot and/or killed in them. Glad the happy hour insurance crowd will catch a few games. That will surely bring Hartford back.

Of the murders and shootings in 2015, how many involved people who did not know one another? I am assuming you know.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
They should have an exhibition game to open the season before the goats get back

Los Solidos vs. Grape St. crips

Be like an olive branch to the community.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

What is the attendance for this park. Looks like maybe 1000.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So...any guesses on whether the "substantial completion" deadline is met today? I have no idea. I would have guessed yes, but the article doesn't make it sound good. Sounds like a doomsday scenario if not. Lots of dominoes fall.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So...any guesses on whether the "substantial completion" deadline is met today? I have no idea. I would have guessed yes, but the article doesn't make it sound good. Sounds like a doomsday scenario if not. Lots of dominoes fall.
My guess is the contractor declares it substantially completed and the Yard Goat owner disagrees, which gets him off the hook on a $2 million obligation. Litigation ensues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom