Ortiz wants a long term contract | The Boneyard

Ortiz wants a long term contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
David Ortiz (according to the newspapers) wants a long term deal and is willing to go to another team if necessary. I think the Sox should offer him an extension of one more year for the 2015 season. If he is not happy with that, he can test the market after the 2014 season. I love having him on the Sox but giving a 38 year old DH a long term deal is crazy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think Ortiz should honor his contract and address 2015 after the 2014 season is over. Ortiz is worth more to the Red Sox than any other team and he knows it. He wants an insurance policy. No one else would pay a DH primary $15 Mil. Not even close.

Ortiz has said he love Boston and loves playing here but at the end of the day it is a business. Well yes, David, it is. And it doesn't make a whole lot of business sense for the Red Sox to commit $14 Mil to a 38 YO player a full year before they have to.

Reaction Score
Can't blame him.

Ortiz is a unique case (like a Jeter in NY, Brady in NE, etc.). I would add two years now and be done with it....bit of a risk given age but so be it.

Reaction Score
It is a business and Ortiz/his agent are doing exactly what they should - trying to leverage a very good year into more $. But no matter what he says, I can't imagine he'd leave for another team.

Reaction Score
He's not a unique case like Jeter he doesn't own a glove, it's baseball…………..

Reaction Score
I'd like the Sox to do with Ortiz what they did with Wakefield. Agree to a one year deal with a reoccurring option every year at the same salary. As long as he keeps hitting he keeps getting paid.

Reaction Score
He's not a unique case like Jeter he doesn't own a glove, it's baseball…………..

....and Jeter is a punch and judy slap hitter with 3000 bloops into RF. Swing like ya got a set.

They are same in terms of importance and meaning to organizations...

Reaction Score
....and Jeter is a punch and judy slap hitter with 3000 bloops into RF. Swing like ya got a set.

250 career homers and over 850 xtra base hits is not a punch and judy hitter.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There was a thread a few weeks ago around the time of the HoF vote that didn't really favor stat accumulators. Jeter is a 17 year veteran. that's 176 hit and 14 HRs per year. Aside from happening to be on 5 World Series Champion teams, is that really HoF level?

Disclaimer: purely for discussion purposes. There is no doubt in my mind that Jeter is getting elected to the Museum in Cooperstown.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
250 career homers and over 850 xtra base hits is not a punch and judy hitter.

Opposite field slap hitter, inside out swing....great at it but it is what it is....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Give Jeter the same 'vitamins' Big Papi takes and Jeter will hit 50 home runs and win the Kentucky Derby.

Reaction Score
There was a thread a few weeks ago around the time of the HoF vote that didn't really favor stat accumulators. Jeter is a 17 year veteran. that's 176 hit and 14 HRs per year. Aside from happening to be on 5 World Series Champion teams, is that really HoF level?

Have any of you actually looked at his stats? His prime is pretty impressive considering he is a shortstop. Also 17 times 176 is 2992. Jeter has over 3300 hits.

Reaction Score
Give Jeter the same 'vitamins' Big Papi takes and Jeter will hit 50 home runs and win the Kentucky Derby.

He may win the Kentucky Derby but his 250 foot fly balls that fall over the second baseman's head and at the right fielders feet would become 300 foot outs....so baseball wise it is a good thing he is likely clean...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes I've looked at his stats. I've also noticed you didn't quote the disclaimer.
Have any of you actually looked at his stats? His prime is pretty impressive considering he is a shortstop. Also 17 times 176 is 2992. Jeter has over 3300 hits.

Reaction Score

They are same in terms of importance and meaning to organizations...

Yeah he hits HR's like Ortiz did in Minny before he met Manny…….and POOF now Papi can actually hit, it's magic? Imagine that…….one's a HOFer first ballot who hits bloopers the other's a guy who has to sit right next to Bonds and Clemens!

Reaction Score
Yes I've looked at his stats. I've also noticed you didn't quote the disclaimer.

Yeah, you said he should be a HOF. You also posted incredibly bad stats to make it look like he isn't one. Not counting this year since he only got 60 at bats, Jeter was at 194 hits per season for his career.

Reaction Score
Ortiz will be a HOFer.

Look...I know the mere mention of Jeter's name gets NY fandom into an automatic sweaty hyperventilating pant but I said nothing here that is really debateable. He has an inside out swing and the majority of his many hits are opposite field with lots of them bloops. He will ride those five rings and 3000+ dinks and dunks into Cooperstown. And he belongs there. But PLEASE dont make him and his hitting out to be more than it is. He has no pop and never had pop. Hits like a chick....but he is great at it for a long time.

Reaction Score
Ortiz will be a HOFer.

Look...I know the mere mention of Jeter's name gets NY fandom into an automatic sweaty hyperventilating pant but I said nothing here that is really debateable. He has an inside out swing and the majority of his many hits are opposite field with lots of them bloops. He will ride those five rings and 3000+ dinks and dunks into Cooperstown. And he belongs there. But PLEASE dont make him and his hitting out to be more than it is. He has no pop and never had pop. Hits like a chick....but he is great at it for a long time.

No panties here, call it what you want but it wouldn't be hitting like a chick if he were a Sox dude, it would be a very good hitter. My question to you is why would he ever try to hit the ball to left field at Yankee Stadium? He's had a couple (without looking it up) 20 plus HR years and a few with 17 or more……..not so bad for a chick! He grew up at the Stadium and adapted and his inside out swing is nothing less than great hitting. If he were just a bloop hitter then they would play 2 guys right behind 2nd base wouldn't they GO?

He's so much more deserving of the HOF than that pill and hot dog eating DH who can't find his glove until they play against the NL………he has no right going in! One guy has to run out and play defense and dive, stretch and maybe get taken out at 2nd the other guy gets to stay in the dugout and not risk injury. One has 5 Gold Gloves (i know these mean a lot to Sox fans when its Pedroia) and one has never owned 5 gloves. The reality one is a baseball player the other not so much!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who the hell cares what type of hit he gets? In the end, what matters is getting on base. He's 10th all-time in hits and with a healthy year, should move up several more rungs.

And, yeah, he's played a good number of years. But every other batter in the all-time top 20 played at least two more years than he has.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm torn. Ortiz was epic last year. The year before he took the season off, who's to say he doesn't take this year off? We need him this year, what keeps him playing this year, an extension or no extension? I'm not worried about him leaving, no one going to pay him what he's making now.

Reaction Score
Can't blame him.

Ortiz is a unique case (like a Jeter in NY, Brady in NE, etc.). I would add two years now and be done with it....bit of a risk given age but so be it.
Teams have to expect to get screwed on the last couple of years of a star veteran's contract. 2 Year extension sounds about right.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah, you said he should be a HOF. You also posted incredibly bad stats to make it look like he isn't one. Not counting this year since he only got 60 at bats, Jeter was at 194 hits per season for his career.
No that's not really what I did. At least it wasn't the intent. I'm trying to determine if Jeter is a stat accumulator based on the fact that he's spent all or parts of 19 years he's in Major League Baseball. Stat accumulators don't seem to be held in such high regard.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Teams have to expect to get screwed on the last couple of years of a star veteran's contract. 2 Year extension sounds about right.
I love Ortiz. He's arguably the best hitter on my favorite team, but He's got to look at it from the other side of the table. One year with a team option. Sorry, David. You're playing year to year from here on in.

I've been listening to EEI all day and these callers are acting like he's scraping by on Ramen Noodles and generic Mac n' Cheese. It's not like Ortiz made league minimum last year. He is a DH primary making $15 Million AND he's under contract. At the very most, I'd offer a 1 year extension worth $9 Million with incentives to get it back up to $15 Million. Heard on D&C this morning that the next highest paid player with a significant time at DH was Easy Eddie Encarnacion, making $9 Million. No one is going to pay more. Small markets can't afford it and large market clubs don't want to.

Reaction Score
I love Ortiz. He's arguably the best hitter on my favorite team, but He's got to look at it from the other side of the table. One year with a team option. Sorry, David. You're playing year to year from here on in.

I've been listening to EEI all day and these callers are acting like he's scraping by on Ramen Noodles and generic Mac n' Cheese. It's not like Ortiz made league minimum last year. He is a DH primary making $15 Million AND he's under contract. At the very most, I'd offer a 1 year extension worth $9 Million with incentives to get it back up to $15 Million. Heard on D&C this morning that the next highest paid player with a significant time at DH was Easy Eddie Encarnacion, making $9 Million. No one is going to pay more. Small markets can't afford it and large market clubs don't want to.
I agree completely. He has been more than a DH for the Sox. He is a team leader and he motivates the other players. I think they should add another year to keep him happy and I like the idea of incentives. To tell him, we are not going to negotiate would be stupid.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ortiz will be a HOFer.

There is no way in hell that Ortiz gets in the hall of fame as anything other than a paying customer.

Anyone who has even the rumor of a hint of using PEDs (look at Piazza) is being ignored by the voters. Papi has quite a smoking gun in his background. He'll be inducted the same year ARod gets inducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom