Oriakhi Jumping on Twitter 30 min after the game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oriakhi Jumping on Twitter 30 min after the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My bad, I saw a couple definitions, wasn't sure which one. Either way, ripping your Hall of Fame coach is a good way to get you on a bus to Hofstra like his buddy. Coming into the season I would have figured Oriakhi would have been the last one to give us trouble off the court. He seems like a great kid, but he needs to stfu and play.
Yeah, I saw this one: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mumu.

Regardless, it's a 21-year-old kid saying things that many 21-year-old kids have said in the past. Though now they have to be smarter if we all can read/hear them.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the media doesn't pick up on this, but internally these guys just have to think of "don't tweet it if you wouldn't say it live on CBS right after a game." It's not fair, but it's just reality.

Yeah, but clearly with the way he's been responding to fans, he doesn't care if it is out there. If you have a problem, either talk about it privately with Calhoun, or talk privately with a buddy. It's not like Oriakhi is new to twitter.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Did you notice on the post game interview how Boatright, Shabazz, and Lamb made a point of talking about unity and shaking hands together? I think this was a subtle shot at AO (or maybe a way to diffuse the ridiculous Shabazz-Boatright rivalry talk). Also, if AO tweeted that, he needs to look in the mirror. I'd hate to see him turn into another Toraino Walker, a guy with great talent who couldn't take criticism and messed up his career. What's really sad was that AO seemed to be the biggest AD proponent and happiest when he sighed with the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the media doesn't pick up on this, but internally these guys just have to think of "don't tweet it if you wouldn't say it live on CBS right after a game." It's not fair, but it's just reality.

During yesterday's game the announcer (Not Donny Marshall) started to talk about Oriaki and twitter. It sounded like he was going to mention the Coombs conversation but there was some game action so he want back to play by play and never mentioned it again. Media is definitely paying attention.

Reaction Score
Complaining about playing time, getting frustrated by fans talking about him, and calling out his coach openly in a public forum.....this need immediate intervention by someone.....he has a chance to play in the NBA yet he is walking a fine line that could see him removed from the court.....Im sure Kemba is paying attention to this....I hope they have a conversation somewhere tonight

Reaction Score
AO said he didn't think the comment the other day was a big deal so its not surprising that he's still at it. I think he tried to be slick with the "mumu" comment thinking people wouldn't get it, its 2011, all it takes is a google search. I'd imagine after that one someone is going to get after him.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but clearly with the way he's been responding to fans, he doesn't care if it is out there. If you have a problem, either talk about it privately with Calhoun, or talk privately with a buddy. It's not like Oriakhi is new to twitter.
I don't think he really puts much thought into it. He's an emotional 21-year-old kid who is pissed off about his situation. Of course he could be handling it better, but I don't think that he wants everyone to know that he thinks his coach is an idiot. He's just being an idiot kid -- I would have done the same thing at 21 but I had middle-school level talent and would have had about five followers if Twitter was around then. He just has to be smarter and accept that athletes just have different rules on social media -- it's essentially treated as a perpetual news conference by ESPN, etc.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
During yesterday's game the announcer (Not Donny Marshall) started to talk about Oriaki and twitter. It sounded like he was going to mention the Coombs conversation but there was some game action so he want back to play by play and never mentioned it again. Media is definitely paying attention.

Seth Davis immediately took notice and he's in Atlantis. It's a big deal, unfortunately. Does he think Calhoun or one of the coaches isn't going to hear about his attitude? Really disappointing.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Player MIN PPG RPG APG BPG FG% FT%
Alex Oriakhi 20 7.7 6.3 0.3 2.2 49% 53%
Tyler Olander 25 7.7 6.8 1.7 1 50% 71%
Andre Drummond 20.8 7.5 6.5 0.3 2.2 49% 33%

Looks close to me

Reaction Score
i think the mumu comment was directed at somebody who tweeted him and not calhoun, but i could be wrong

edit---actually i think it was, wow that bad

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Considering he's a co-captain, and our only upperclassman this isn't good and needs to be addressed. Hopefully either Kemba or Bazz find out and get his head right.

Reaction Score
Did you notice on the post game interview how Boatright, Shabazz, and Lamb made a point of talking about unity and shaking hands together? I think this was a subtle shot at AO (or maybe a way to diffuse the ridiculous Shabazz-Boatright rivalry talk).

Wait, you're not serious with this, are you?

Alex was stupid to tweet that, but "fans" need to stop saying **** like "step your game up" over twitter.

Reaction Score
Twitter is meaningful, because it's public, and when a team player announces stuff over Twitter it's the same as if they're saying it to Jay Bilas in an interview.

Alex O, in his twitter feed, in response to a dude saying, "AO and AD need to play together, what's up with your coach?" replied - "he's a mumu."

THIS IS NOT GOOD. NOT GOOD I say.

I get his frustration, but calling your coach an idiot in a foreign language is flat out asking for a long stint in the dog house, and, frankly, we can live without any player.

Alex needs to end his twitter account now, or at least put a lock on it so that he doesn't tweet within a few hours of a game.

Dumb. Somebody earlier said it best - Alex McCoombs Oriakhi.

Reaction Score
Wait, you're not serious with this, are you?

Alex was stupid to tweet that, but "fans" need to stop saying **** like "step your game up" over twitter.
What? Alex doesn't have to have a twitter account. He chooses to. Of course if you're a celebrity and random idiots have access to your twitter you're going to get spam and stupid comments.
What's more obvious . . .
Alex grows up and drops the childish Twit nonsense, or
every person out there agree to not harass him?

Reaction Score
I'm not defending him. All I'm saying is that he is obviously pissed after the game, and fans shouldn't be saying that stuff. A lot of those fans probably post on this message board.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by asking what's more "obvious" though...

Reaction Score
I'm not defending him. All I'm saying is that he is obviously pissed after the game, and fans shouldn't be saying that stuff. A lot of those fans probably post on this message board.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by asking what's more "obvious" though...
All I mean is that Alex needs to learn - right now - that's he's a celebrity, and there are thousand of us schmoes out there - me and you and unreasonable s to boot.
IF he wants to run a twit account where every tom dick and harry can post spam, THEN he needs to develop a very thick skin or just stop posting twits.

That's all I'm saying.

There're always going to be idiots running around - that doesn't mean you have to grab one and wrestle him.

caw

Reaction Score
Some UConn fans are @sshats. Some aren't UConn fans.

Reaction Score
I think its stupid when random people write those type of things on athletes twitter accounts. Oriakhi doesnt even know who they are and he doesnt have to be told by them how hes playing. But, I also think its wrong that he responds to that garbage. He can choose to ignore it or block them if it gets out of control. Theres no doubt about it that he looks like the bad guy in this situation now

Reaction Score
yeah AO seems to be trying to do damage control on his comments. Also, check the Uconn Blogs story on this and read the viewer comments and you have someone saying to be AO's sister getting very combative with the readers. Its kinda getting ugly. Also I backchecked with her twitter account and it rlly seems to be her on the blog comments. Hopefully this doesnt lead to a transfer or anything, we need alex

Reaction Score
Hopefully this doesnt lead to a transfer or anything, we need alex
Hofstra probably has an opening.

JK. Love Alex and I'm glad he's fired up about not playing. It means he's raring to come in, which is good.

caw

Reaction Score
Honest question. Do you think Calhoun cares? I think he might in some ways actually be glad Alex is angry he's not playing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom