Oregon St (7) @ Stanford (11) - 2/08/19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oregon St (7) @ Stanford (11) - 2/08/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well they do have road wins over Buffalo and Arizona St. (and Tennessee but that doesn't really count anymore I guess).
Okay, golf clap for beating ASU and Buffalo, but a team that's good enough to vie for a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament really shouldn't be losing those games.

If they had lost on the road to Tennessee, I would be talking so much trash about them...

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stanford is making this game look like a warmup for the Oregon showdown. Not surprised they're winning, but certainly surprised by the margin.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Is OSU always all about Slocum? She looked good just now hitting a couple of 3s, but she's been ball hogging all game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, golf clap for beating ASU

Are you forgetting how much trouble ASU gave Baylor and Louisville? Deserves more than a golf clap I'd say.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Is OSU always all about Slocum? She looked good just now hitting a couple of 3s, but she's been ball hogging all game.
No, but when your fellow starters are 4 of 29 ...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

It's been a work in progress all year for her getting others involved vs. taking over herself. Goodman is usually a deadly shooter and Pivec scores in a variety of ways.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Okay, maybe a tennis clap for ASU :)
That was funny...Although I agree heartedly with NW, ASU is still underated and I like CTT ;)

Reaction Score
I think this board will be a lot more interested when Oregon is involved. Stanford & Oregon State are outside of the interchangeable top 7. There seems to be a wide gap after 7 so forgive our lack of enthusiasm. Good to see PAC-12 being more competitive, though.
You do remember that Stanford beat Baylor?!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You might be the first person I've ever heard say they dislike Tara. Like, actually, literally, ever. She coaches hard, develops her players well, almost never complains about the officials, always gives the other team credit, does everything she can to promote the game, and never speaks out of turn (something even Geno occasionally slips up and does). Heck, when recruited players get rejected from Stanford admissions office, she finds them a home across the bay at arch-rival Cal. I'd love to know your reasons!

I wrote in a thread back in 2017

Have rooted against TN and Stanford WCBB since the early 90s.... Thats over 25 years of dislike/disgust harboring within me :mad::mad::mad:

Well in my younger years, I was a UVA WCBB fan.. 1990... Stanford beat them in the semi-finals..... 1991.... TN beat them in the Finals... and 1992. Stanford eliminated them in the semis.. in Dawn Staley's final game.

Plus she said some crap about Chelsea Gray a few years ago... in a rant talking about the lack of respect for the Pac-12 and what was so great about the ACC. Didnt sit well with me. :mad:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Plus she said some crap about Chelsea Gray a few years ago... in a rant talking about the lack of respect for the Pac-12 and what was so great about the ACC. Didnt sit well with me. :mad:

I'd add that when Oregon had a good team in the late 90s until about 2001 (and won or shared two Pac 12 titles before cratering for a decade+) Tara complained about the presence of Australian "mercenaries" on the team. (I think there were two; that was also the time when the most talented wbb high school players in the state were apparently a lot more aware than they have been recently and headed to Stanford rather than Tennessee.). Of course, Alana Smith, and doubtless others I can't remember, have changed that thinking in the years since.

Reaction Score
Time heals all wounds or so the saying goes. I respect what @TheFarmFan said and found this article that worth a read for many of the older BYers who also hold this grudge.
GOOD TIMING BY TARA

Just like those Tenn fans who despise Geno, despite Geno and Pat making amends during her last years of coaching and him donating to her foundation. If he can forgive so can we. Just my humble opinion.
Great article. Got my blood pressure up all over again. I’m keeping my grudge for now. It’s just sports - it’s a sports grudge, not like true Tennessee hate.

Reaction Score
Well that was an OSU Clanker of a game. I have no idea what that offensive scheme was, but 1 on 5 doesn't win too many games against a solid defensive team. OSU played as if they didn't belong on the same floor with Stanford. Indecision over and over again (traveling galore, getting shots blocked, couldn't hit the broadside of a barn on THE FARM). When your best player on the floor is Jo Grymek, it is going to be a long night. Congratulations to Stanford.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Well that was an OSU Clanker of a game. I have no idea what that offensive scheme was, but 1 on 5 doesn't win too many games against a solid defensive team. OSU played as if they didn't belong on the same floor with Stanford. Indecision over and over again (traveling galore, getting shots blocked, couldn't hit the broadside of a barn on THE FARM). When your best player on the floor is Jo Grymek, it is going to be a long night. Congratulations to Stanford.

Although I am far less familiar with OSU than you, I wondered about the offense as well. Do you think Rueck's plan was to have players go one on one against Stanford? And, if so, why did he go away from the game OSU typically plays? I say this because it seemed to me to lead to block after block on Stanford's part and didn't give OSU the open looks from 3 that they typically get. I realize Stanford's defense had something to say in both instances, but it seemed to me at least that the problem was more a matter of OSU not doing what they usually do. (I believe there were only 5 assists.). In any case, I think Cal will end up regretting this game as much as OSU.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
One of the things I truly appreciate is the presence of our PAC12 posters who do give us a perspective that frankly, we weren’t getting. @jonson and @j66kicker both reminded me of the Younger, highly competitive Tara who certainly made her views known, rightly or wrongly but she has mellowed and evolved and maybe if she’s did a mea culpa on some of her past actions, many on here might more fully embrace her as we do respect her coaching and her accomplishments. I too, have minor angst on her and am trying to let it go (ever so slowly). To me, Stanford absolutely, is in the top 8 discussion able to earn their way in. Maryland, NC St and Marquette, despite their lofty records haven’t beaten anyone noteworthy to warrant any Top 8 consideration despite the ignorance of the band of 32 voters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the things I truly appreciate is the presence of our PAC12 posters who do give us a perspective that frankly, we weren’t getting. @jonson and @j66kicker both reminded me of the Younger, highly competitive Tara who certainly made her views known, rightly or wrongly but she’s has mellowed and evolved and maybe if she did a mea culpa on some of her past actions, many on here might more fully embrace her as we do respect her. I too, have minor angst on her and a man trying to let it go (ever so slowly). To me, Stanford absolutely, is in the top 8 discussion able to earn their way in. Maryland, NC St and Marquette, despite their lofty records haven’t beaten anyone noteworthy to warrant any Top 8 consideration despite the ignorance of the band of 32 voters.
A mea culpa would totally do it for me. I’m not expecting it though - especially after all this time - and that’s fine. I have no particular compulsion to stop disliking her :D

Reaction Score
Although I am far less familiar with OSU than you, I wondered about the offense as well. Do you think Rueck's plan was to have players go one on one against Stanford? And, if so, why did he go away from the game OSU typically plays? I say this because it seemed to me to lead to block after block on Stanford's part and didn't give OSU the open looks from 3 that they typically get. I realize Stanford's defense had something to say in both instances, but it seemed to me at least that the problem was more a matter of OSU not doing what they usually do. (I believe there were only 5 assists.). In any case, I think Cal will end up regretting this game as much as OSU.
I think Rueck gambled. He started Aleah Goodman instead of Maddie Washington against a tall Stanford Team. I do think Rueck thought Destiny could break down Stanford and either score or dish. Didn't work, because Destiny picked up her dribble in the key, more often than not, instead of taking the pull up jumper. When that plan failed, then Pivec tried to do the same thing, and got the same result. Stanford looked like OSU (of past games) with their crisp passing and screening, resulting in open looks. Beavers will either grow from this abysmal performance, or, wilt. We'll know more Sunday.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I think Rueck gambled. He started Aleah Goodman instead of Maddie Washington against a tall Stanford Team. I do think Rueck thought Destiny could break down Stanford and either score or dish. Didn't work, because Destiny picked up her dribble in the key, more often than not, instead of taking the pull up jumper. When that plan failed, then Pivec tried to do the same thing, and got the same result. Stanford looked like OSU (of past games) with their crisp passing and screening, resulting in open looks. Beavers will either grow from this abysmal performance, or, wilt. We'll know more Sunday.
I listened to Stanford's post game press conference this morning. Tara's defensive game plan was to stay tight on their shooters and not help off of anyone. She said it was supposed to be like driveway basketball: stay on your player, one-on-one, and try to get stops.

That may be why OSU was doing what they did on offense: try to win those one-on-one battles, as there weren't open shooters to pass to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom