Oregon Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Oregon Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I think so. Everyone assumes Baylor would beat South Carolina if they had Cox and that might be so but is not a given. Boston has shown that she can guard the perimeter against smaller players because of her intellect so I fell she could guard Cox. Down Low, Boston would be very comfortable because of her size and would not have to worry about fouls called against her because she is so physically imposing. One of Cox's issue for alot of teams is she does not have to play her post counterpart heavily on defense because she is so big and long. Dawn loves to force an opposing team's best player to have to play defense to see if they are well conditioned to do so. Boston would make Cox have to player and then you would have to see if she could stay out of foul trouble. During the first game Baylor sent three other post players at Boston and none could handle her consistently without getting in foul trouble. As for all of the other matchups, South Carolina outplayed them to include shutting down their pg Cooper who seemed to have as field day against Uconn. I know some want to discount the victory but it wasn't fluke shots but more a 16 pt victory.
Any report on Boston’s injury?

Reaction Score
There is clearly increased competition in this sport now. When I began watching it was Geno and Pat. Some talented players would go play for Gail at Duke but she wasn't a great coach. It was UConn and Tennessee. Than it was UConn and Notre Dame with some Stanford teams to worry about (but as good as Tara is she hasn't won since 1992 for a reason.) In between you'd have a Maryland or Texas A&M or LSU have their moment but they could never sustain it.

Now you got Oregon, Baylor, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Louisville, Oregon State with legit coaches who are recruiting and developing talent. None of these programs are going anywhere. Even NC State, UCLA, Arizona, Northwestern, Indiana, etc are showing signs of taking their programs seriously. I watched an Arizona game the other night and they had a sold out rabid crown in Tuscon. These types of crowds were never thought to be possible outside Connecticut and Tennessee 20 years ago. The sport is getting better. We will have to be at the top of our games to win a title. It's exciting but certainly more nerve wracking. Nothing will be guaranteed anymore.

I don't think we can be too surprised that we are not as good as Oregon and Baylor this year. This is our "down year". Sure we can be dissapointed with the development of certain players but it was always coming down to Oregon and Baylor this year. And last years team probably went as far as they should. Baylor was schooling ND before Cox went down and ND was supposed to be better than us. We blew a lead which sucked but we probably finished where we should have.

What I think really adds to the angst is how our 2017 and 2018 seasons ended. UConn had legit shots to win those years and made huge errors to cost themselves the games vs Miss State and ND which resulted in heartbreaking OT losses at the buzzer. I think that still lingers with the fans and maybe the players and coaches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look, I appreciate this UConn team for what they are and what they are is not the best team in the country. A top ten team, for sure. And I will drop anything to watch them in action. A few weeks ago I suggested that the UConn starters would have a hard time breaking into the Oregon starting lineup. That statement came after watching every UConn game and a half dozen (then) Oregon games. That doesn’t mean the UConn players were bad. It means the Oregon players were that good. It doesn’t mean Kelly is a better coach than Geno, it means he has better players. Did he do it by recognizing talent that others didn’t see. Maybe. Or maybe it was just luck. High school player rankings might frequently find great players but the system can’t find all the greats. Unlike Geno, Kelly relies on foreign players. Anna just might make Geno look across the pond more often. Bottom line is we have a good team, we might well have a better team next year, but so will other schools. Women’s basketball is getting better and better because UConn set the standard.
The only starting foreign player is Satou as the other 4 are from the states (Sabrina & Moore-California, Hebard-Alaska, & Boley-Kentucky) . Jaz Shelley from Australia is usually the third sub after Chavez from Arizona and Giomi from Washington. It's true half his team is foreign, but the other 4 don't play that much including Satou's sister who is hurt. The other hurt player who also didn't get eligibility is Prince from Texas. Next year all 5 recruits are McDonalds AA and from the states, so I would argue he doesn't really rely on foreign players, but gets the best players he can get.

Reaction Score
We will be looking for you at the final 4 this year for the payback!!!
You do have to get by some other pretty good PAC12 teams to meet us in the Final 4. Hopefully for your sake you won't have to meet us in Portland because I suspect there will 20,000 Oregon fans at those games, twice as many as the UConn fans you had in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Who are the three #1s...I can only think of 2 in the starting lineup and none not starting?
Dangerfield 2016, Walker 2017, Williams 2018 ... Danger was a coupla spots higher than Ionescu in 2016

Reaction Score
Oregon out UConned us. On defense al 5 always had their hands up and their pic and rolls were perfection.
We were sick, shot poorly, had inexperienced freshman. We have potentional and a good coaching team. I expect we will get to the final for sure. WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR.

Reaction Score
Matador? I don’t understand.
"Matador" Defense: As in a bullfighting matador; step aside and waive a red cape (flag) as the bull (opponent) rushes past. Makurat has not learned (coached?) to play defense with her feet. Playing defense with one's hands (ODO, Vital, Bouknight: take note too) is an invitation to foul trouble, and uncontested layups. For those old enough (includes me) to remember Lyman DePriest, he was the poster child for good D. Old school, good school.

Reaction Score
"Matador" Defense: As in a bullfighting matador; step aside and waive a red cape (flag) as the bull (opponent) rushes past. Makurat has not learned (coached?) to play defense with her feet. Playing defense with one's hands (ODO, Vital, Bouknight: take note too) is an invitation to foul trouble, and uncontested layups. For those old enough (includes me) to remember Lyman DePriest, he was the poster child for good D. Old school, good school.
Just loved Lyman!!

Reaction Score
Look, I appreciate this UConn team for what they are and what they are is not the best team in the country. A top ten team, for sure. And I will drop anything to watch them in action. A few weeks ago I suggested that the UConn starters would have a hard time breaking into the Oregon starting lineup. That statement came after watching every UConn game and a half dozen (then) Oregon games. That doesn’t mean the UConn players were bad. It means the Oregon players were that good. It doesn’t mean Kelly is a better coach than Geno, it means he has better players. Did he do it by recognizing talent that others didn’t see. Maybe. Or maybe it was just luck. High school player rankings might frequently find great players but the system can’t find all the greats. Unlike Geno, Kelly relies on foreign players. Anna just might make Geno look across the pond more often. Bottom line is we have a good team, we might well have a better team next year, but so will other schools. Women’s basketball is getting better and better because UConn set the standard.

Oregon is just better than UCONN. They might be better than everyone. That's sort of the way I'm leaning.

UCONN is plenty good enough to beat anyone on the right day, but to me only has 2 players who really fit the classic UCONN mold. Walker and Dangerfield.

Then you have 2 good players who are somewhat odd fits for Geno's recent teams. Williams and ONO.

Then you have rotation members 5-9 who aren't anywhere close to the past standard.
Any report on Boston’s injury?

Light running, cutting, and shooting. I think she'll be ok.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I haven't noticed anyone mention Oregon's two-point-guard lineup. I thought they'd take a step back this year because they'd lost Cazorla, but I hadn't counted on Minyon Moore joining them.

It's got to be really daunting for opponents that Ionescu is free to morph between point guard and off guard any time.

Kudos to Graves and the Ducks. The better team won last night, but I am not anointing the Ducks as the NCAA champs or the best team in NCAAW. I think Baylor, South Carolina, and possibly one or two others may have something to say about that.

Looking forward to next Monday.

And next year when UConn will have a pass-first point guard and an amazing versatile point guard who's willing to be a combo guard.

Reaction Score
Crystal was overall #3. Lauren Cox was #1 in 2016
Thanks for correcting me .. of course, I meant she was the #1 point guard, ahead of Ionesco, eh?

Reaction Score
There is clearly increased competition in this sport now. When I began watching it was Geno and Pat. Some talented players would go play for Gail at Duke but she wasn't a great coach. It was UConn and Tennessee. Than it was UConn and Notre Dame with some Stanford teams to worry about (but as good as Tara is she hasn't won since 1992 for a reason.) In between you'd have a Maryland or Texas A&M or LSU have their moment but they could never sustain it.

Now you got Oregon, Baylor, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Louisville, Oregon State with legit coaches who are recruiting and developing talent. None of these programs are going anywhere. Even NC State, UCLA, Arizona, Northwestern, Indiana, etc are showing signs of taking their programs seriously. I watched an Arizona game the other night and they had a sold out rabid crown in Tuscon. These types of crowds were never thought to be possible outside Connecticut and Tennessee 20 years ago. The sport is getting better. We will have to be at the top of our games to win a title. It's exciting but certainly more nerve wracking. Nothing will be guaranteed anymore.

I don't think we can be too surprised that we are not as good as Oregon and Baylor this year. This is our "down year". Sure we can be dissapointed with the development of certain players but it was always coming down to Oregon and Baylor this year. And last years team probably went as far as they should. Baylor was schooling ND before Cox went down and ND was supposed to be better than us. We blew a lead which sucked but we probably finished where we should have.

What I think really adds to the angst is how our 2017 and 2018 seasons ended. UConn had legit shots to win those years and made huge errors to cost themselves the games vs Miss State and ND which resulted in heartbreaking OT losses at the buzzer. I think that still lingers with the fans and maybe the players and coaches.
All it takes is winning. Colorado women under Hall of Fame coach Ceal Barry fielded very good teams that filled the Coors Arena. She retired and program declined.

Reaction Score
Oregon is just better than UCONN. They might be better than everyone. That's sort of the way I'm leaning.

UCONN is plenty good enough to beat anyone on the right day, but to me only has 2 players who really fit the classic UCONN mold. Walker and Dangerfield.

Then you have 2 good players who are somewhat odd fits for Geno's recent teams. Williams and ONO.

Then you have rotation members 5-9 who aren't anywhere close to the past standard.

Light running, cutting, and shooting. I think she'll be ok.
In that 5-9 I will take Anna any day. I suspect she will be called a Samuelson who can play defense.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A pair of interesting factoids (my apologies if already mentioned):

This is only the second game this season where all 5 Oregon starters scored in double figures. (The first was their 101-53 win over Colorado on Saturday.)

This is also only the second game this season where Oregon's bench went scoreless. (The first was their loss to Louisville.)

Does it make us feel any better to know that our bench outscored Oregon's 16-0?

Reaction Score

This is only the second game this season where all 5 Oregon starters scored in double figures. (The first was their 101-53 win over Colorado on Saturday.)

This is also only the second game this season where Oregon's bench went scoreless. (The first was their loss to Louisville.)

If Makurat had started (like she probable should have since she was third on Uconn in minutes at 36), it would have only been 3-0. The Oregon starters were the top 5 in minutes,

Reaction Score
#1 point guard, a bit better than Ionesco coming out of high school..

1580900456517.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the early 3 pt barrage from players other than Sabrina early really messed with the psychology of the team and started a viscous cycle that we could not really recover from. That allowed them to spread the floor on all corners and open every square foot of the court to Sabrina / Hebard interior play It also forced us to go to the 3pt shot more than we probably wanted and even though we (i.e Crystal) were making a good share, OR could relax a bit knowing that we were becoming 1D and we would ultimately cool off. Then they slowly closed the vise and even when their play fell, never felt threatened.

The more experienced team playing great ball out of the chute.

Reaction Score
The only starting foreign player is Satou as the other 4 are from the states (Sabrina & Moore-California, Hebard-Alaska, & Boley-Kentucky) . Jaz Shelley from Australia is usually the third sub after Chavez from Arizona and Giomi from Washington. It's true half his team is foreign, but the other 4 don't play that much including Satou's sister who is hurt. The other hurt player who also didn't get eligibility is Prince from Texas. Next year all 5 recruits are McDonalds AA and from the states, so I would argue he doesn't really rely on foreign players, but gets the best players he can get.
Satou and Nyara were born in New York. Father is Gambian, mother German.

Reaction Score

Anna is not really “bench”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom