Oregon Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Oregon Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno conceded the offensive boards on purpose? Trying to get out in front of Ionescu for as best as possible to stop her from what she does best? It certainly was frustrating to see so many once and dones. I think the o-boards we had came mostly in the 2nd half?

I hope not. Thats a tough way to win. if anything, when you're outsized, you need to be crashing the boards & being more aggressive. The risk is a potential fast-break the other way, but so be it. If you cant score, then its mute anyway.

Reaction Score
Uconn lost to Baylor who had their best player back! Do you really think SC beats Baylor with her in the lineup! I don't think so!
I think so. Everyone assumes Baylor would beat South Carolina if they had Cox and that might be so but is not a given. Boston has shown that she can guard the perimeter against smaller players because of her intellect so I fell she could guard Cox. Down Low, Boston would be very comfortable because of her size and would not have to worry about fouls called against her because she is so physically imposing. One of Cox's issue for alot of teams is she does not have to play her post counterpart heavily on defense because she is so big and long. Dawn loves to force an opposing team's best player to have to play defense to see if they are well conditioned to do so. Boston would make Cox have to player and then you would have to see if she could stay out of foul trouble. During the first game Baylor sent three other post players at Boston and none could handle her consistently without getting in foul trouble. As for all of the other matchups, South Carolina outplayed them to include shutting down their pg Cooper who seemed to have as field day against Uconn. I know some want to discount the victory but it wasn't fluke shots but more a 16 pt victory.

Reaction Score
Look, I appreciate this UConn team for what they are and what they are is not the best team in the country. A top ten team, for sure. And I will drop anything to watch them in action. A few weeks ago I suggested that the UConn starters would have a hard time breaking into the Oregon starting lineup. That statement came after watching every UConn game and a half dozen (then) Oregon games. That doesn’t mean the UConn players were bad. It means the Oregon players were that good. It doesn’t mean Kelly is a better coach than Geno, it means he has better players. Did he do it by recognizing talent that others didn’t see. Maybe. Or maybe it was just luck. High school player rankings might frequently find great players but the system can’t find all the greats. Unlike Geno, Kelly relies on foreign players. Anna just might make Geno look across the pond more often. Bottom line is we have a good team, we might well have a better team next year, but so will other schools. Women’s basketball is getting better and better because UConn set the standard.

Reaction Score
The scary thing about Oregon's ease in winning last night's game is that it wasn't Oregon's best basketball. Sabally shot 6/17 and Ionescu 4/12 from the field. The Ducks shot 30% from distance and only 67% from the line. Their margin of error is so much higher than other top teams due to the talent level of their top three players and their ability to get to where they want to be on the offensive end. Hebard and Sabally complement Sabrina's strengths so well that if two of those three are playing well, it is usually more than enough to roll quality teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"They're just too good, and their big kids are too good," Auriemma said. "We don't have anybody at that level. We just don't."
Said Jim Calhoun, never. )))))

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno said:
''They came in here and did something that very few people have been able to do,'' Auriemma said. ''In that first quarter it was evident that physically we couldn't match up with them tonight, plain and simple.''

“Hebard and Sabally are too good for us," Auriemma said. “We don’t have anyone at that level right now; we don’t. And we certainly didn’t have anyone at that level tonight.”

Very poor job by Geno and here's some points to consider:

- Starts Kyla and she plays 4 minutes. UCONN is playing 4 on 5, AGAIN.

- After She fills the stat sheet with ZEROS and Oregon jumps into a quick lead, Geno takes her out.

- She will come back in for about the last 30 seconds of the game.

Really, how is that good coaching?

- Anyway, the tone is set and Oregon knows that the game is theirs.

- Telling your team and the world that the other team has at least 3 players that they can't match is VERY poor form and guaranteed not going to inspire anyone.

- Asking your freshman to defend the post against two experienced bigs and giving away 4 inches, after only seeing five or six minutes of action in most games so far, is madness. And yet, the freshman busted a gut and gave everything. She deserved better.

- Standing there, arms folded and just watching is NOT helpful. This is where the team needs you - sooo, go coach and offer them something, PLEASE?

Look, this team is a final four team and it's a shame to see these goings on.

I always like it when the "expert" shows up and informs us all of what is drastically wrong with UConn and how to fix it. Problem is most of the "experts" do not know the ins and outs of the program.

Obviously you have a major problem with Geno's coaching and you are entitled to your opinion. But just because you spouting off doesn't mean you are right.

Sayanora!

Reaction Score
If I were coaching last nights game I would have sat MW instead of Ono. I also would have in the huddle screamed at the players to pass to Anna. Aubrey although pretty ineffective might have been more effective if Geno not only let her play more but calmed her down in a timeout. I love Geno but not his best coaching night. Maybe a little tired.
I say we can still make the Final Four if they re-group and the coaches emphasize movement and cutting! Hey a few back door cuts worked last night, we just need like 10 more! Love these gals!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno said:
''They came in here and did something that very few people have been able to do,'' Auriemma said. ''In that first quarter it was evident that physically we couldn't match up with them tonight, plain and simple.''

“Hebard and Sabally are too good for us," Auriemma said. “We don’t have anyone at that level right now; we don’t. And we certainly didn’t have anyone at that level tonight.”

Very poor job by Geno and here's some points to consider:

- After She fills the stat sheet with ZEROS and Oregon jumps into a quick lead, Geno takes her out.

- Telling your team and the world that the other team has at least 3 players that they can't match is VERY poor form and guaranteed not going to inspire anyone.

- Asking your freshman to defend the post against two experienced bigs and giving away 4 inches, after only seeing five or six minutes of action in most games so far, is madness. And yet, the freshman busted a gut and gave everything. She deserved better.

- Standing there, arms folded and just watching is NOT helpful. This is where the team needs you - sooo, go coach and offer them something, PLEASE?

Look, this team is a final four team and it's a shame to see these goings on.
mememe_e3d8d1eb7124e5c7b167223d7b9eb06e-1.jpg

Reaction Score
When you guys come to Eugene in a few years and beat us, you can do the same thing.

You know what? Seeing the joy on the Ducks' faces after the game made me smile, for 2 reasons:
1. Their win is one more indication that there are more and more great womens' basketball teams.
2. They were so happy because they beat my Huskies, which says a LOT about UCONN's role in helping #1 to come to pass.
Congratulations on the win. I really, really like your team.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
These were the points I raisedin my original post:

How about giving some meaningful counter-points ?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I always like it when the "expert" shows up and informs us all of what is drastically wrong with UConn and how to fix it. Problem is most of the "experts" do not know the ins and outs of the program.

Obviously you have a major problem with Geno's coaching and you are entitled to your opinion. But just because you spouting off doesn't mean you are right.

Sayanora!
well said

Reaction Score
You know what? Seeing the joy on the Ducks' faces after the game made me smile, for 2 reasons:
1. Their win is one more indication that there are more and more great womens' basketball teams.
2. They were so happy because they beat my Huskies, which says a LOT about UCONN's role in helping #1 to come to pass.
We will be looking for you at the final 4 this year for the payback!!!

Reactions: mmt

Centerstream

Reaction Score
And I got the same impression last year when Louisville beat us in the regular season but at their place.
And if I recall correctly, they only won 1 in a row against us....

Reaction Score
I believe that says it all.
The shoe has been on the other foot for so long, that this is kinda numbing.
There will be tons of BYer's "ifs and buts" and "we're doomed" types of posts but that is ok because @oldude , you said it all IMO!
Agreed...Oregon is a better team right now....most knew this would be a tough year, .. I think they played the season far better than they are capable of. 19-2 not to shabby. Could be worse. This is not a strong UCONN team, period. No front court to speak of. No bench...When Meg and CW are off they struggle....if Meg learned to play defense better she could help the team when she isn't shooting well. She has trouble playing ANYONE straight up. Ever notice she give's up everyone's first step......next season will be more fun......hang tough, it ain't over till it's over !!....Go Husky"s

Reaction Score
UConn only has three #1 recruits on their starting five .. howz that for level?;)

I can see where Auriemma might think that after that game...it was said in the heat of the moment immediately post game. That doesn't mean the Huskies don't have potential...they just did not match up well right now.

The Ducks floor leaders have a lot of game experience..

Reaction Score
44-14 in the paint.
ONO better hit the weight room this summer.
Makurat, please stop playing "matador" defense.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
UConn only has three #1 recruits on their starting five .. howz that for level?;)
Who are the three #1s...I can only think of 2 in the starting lineup and none not starting?

Reaction Score
Oh, I do agree with Jingo sand Rixxx!
Pass the Ball......seriously!
I also agree with the poster who said I hope a
reporter asks that very question! Pretty simple. Anna maybe starts the next game?
Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Yeah, I simply dont understand starting Kyla against good teams. Team was down 10-2 in a heartbeat and set the tone. If its a time mgt. issue, Anna still ended up playing 36 minutes! Might as well start her & give her rest at "better" times like the end of the half. If its a matter of "rewarding" Kyla for good practices, well then put her in the game at the end of the half or when the game is out of hand.
Well, 5-2 actually.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom