Oregon Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Oregon Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I also think Liv played better than some here seem to think and has a tremendous upside. That said, as an Oregon fan I'm especially pleased with Geno's postgame comments about (she can't possibly be 6'4";)) Ruthy Hebard, who was, by the way, considerably more productive as a sophomore than Liv has been this season, and that with a recruiting ranking far lower than Liv's (#40 vs., I think, #6 or #7). I take that as a tribute to Graves and the Oregon staff, who have proved quite good at recognizing and developing talent. (Sabally--#36 vs. Walker at #1-- is another example; Moore wasn't even ranked by Hoopgurlz; Chavez was ranked in the 60s, etc.)
I’ll give Graves credit on everyone but Moore. USC gets credit for Moore. All Graves had to do was say yes when she called.

Reaction Score
Megan will have to have a good game against So Carolina if she wants to make All American this year. Another sub par game on National TV tonight didn't help her cause. She's playing hard and doing the other things Geno wants, she just didn't hit Wide Open Shots.
Megan won't make AA but Crystal should make AA bcuz she's so clutch!

Reaction Score
Megan won't make AA but Crystal should make AA bcuz she's so clutch!

Agreed. As great as her stats look, Dangerfield would get my vote as our only AA this year, no questions asked. Hate to even say it because it’s obvious Meg has put in the work but she hasn’t shined against a quality opponent since ND and they’re a injury depleted team at that.

Reaction Score
I posted a question before the season if UConn was a Top 10 team and was basically laughed at by the regulars on this board. If UConn gets blown out by SC like they did tonight, I definitely see them as a 3-seed. Its clear to everyone now that this team just does not have the physical size and depth to compete with the top teams. Not a knock on ONO. But, you dont lose 2 of the best players in America (who also provided their physical toughness & scoring) & expect things to be the same. MW, CW & CD had shown flashes but never the consistency to carry a team.
Uconn lost to Baylor who had their best player back! Do you really think SC beats Baylor with her in the lineup! I don't think so!

Reaction Score
Anyone can see that ONO has things (lots of 'em) that she can work on. I think people are underplaying the frontcourt she was up against, though. You've got a senior, true center double double machine. You've got a junior, tall but mobile forward with greater offensive skill than ONO herself. And to top if off you've got a point guard who - with all respect to CD and her great game today and this season - is better at feeding those posts than CD is. Defending all that is ONO plus people who are a bit out of position guarding posts. Our interior D did not get better when Geno went small in the 2nd half. It might have gotten worse.

ONO was the 3rd best player for UConn today. That's due in part to some other players playing below par, but it still means something.
Yes .. Liv and Ania were just a notch below Crystal; others did not bother to show up, eh?

Reaction Score
I also think Liv played better than some here seem to think and has a tremendous upside. That said, as an Oregon fan I'm especially pleased with Geno's postgame comments about (she can't possibly be 6'4";)) Ruthy Hebard, who was, by the way, considerably more productive as a sophomore than Liv has been this season, and that with a recruiting ranking far lower than Liv's (#40 vs., I think, #6 or #7). I take that as a tribute to Graves and the Oregon staff, who have proved quite good at recognizing and developing talent. (Sabally--#36 vs. Walker at #1-- is another example; Moore wasn't even ranked by Hoopgurlz; Chavez was ranked in the 60s, etc.)
Moore was a transfer. Graves didn't recruit her out of high school. But she played a really good game tonight!

Reaction Score
You really need to watch the game again. “Defense isn’t played on her?” Ruthy Hebard and Liv were going hard against each other at both ends of the court. Your suggestion that “her passing skills are weak” is belied by the fact that she lead the team in assists tonight with 6. “Her shooting isn’t much?” Liv shot 80%.

Yes, Heberd outplayed her, which I would expect. Just like Gabby outplayed Hebard 3 years ago in the Elite 8 game. But I certainly wouldn’t dismiss Liv’s game tonight as not being able to “affect the game.”

Nah-- you are way overrating one-one between centers. Going hard against each other while one is superior- the playing hard comment is irrelevant. Actually I think kids get a bad wrap by posters on here and outside of here when the kids get accused of "not playing hard" or "They don't care." Maybe you recall on other threads after games I'm always disagreeing with anyone that thinks like that. They all play hard overall. SO your point of playing hard gies both ways. These kids all play hard wiht their heart.

But when Hebard gets the ball around the basket - she dominates. There is no way that at this point Liv does this. And she didn't do it tonight. She took 5 shots. How is that a center that took 5 shots is an impact when her team is struggling to score? You've seen basketball enough over your lifetime and you've heard commentators mention for example how UCONN takes away the best scorer. Some of the other players might shoot a higher % on that given day but that's how the defense is set up. Let the lesser offensive player beat you. You think Oregon was doubling Liv? If she had the impact as you imply why only 5 shots? The UCONN team needed offense, didn't they? WHere was the screaming get me the ball from Liv? The same way you've seen all your life how teams like uCONN used to take away the best option and force the opposing team into lesser options happened exactly here.

IMO you are overrating Liv vs not accepting what Oregon was willing to give up. They were willing to give up one-on-one with Liv. And all Liv could do was get off 5 shots. Yes she passed well today. But again as you've seen all your life watching basketball sometimes a poor shooter shoots well on a given night. Yet if the team gets beaten up pretty good - and the offense overall sputtered - you're going to say that that kid was an impact? Bottomline is-- if you are such an impact and 4-5 from the floor and such a helluva passer then why aren't you demanding the ball more when your team is struggling so much to score? Because you can't impact the game.

And then again add up defensively the opposing team at least in qtr 1 scoring 23 points from 3-- where was her impact? I saw the same thing Lobo saw about Sabally taking advantage of Liv anytime she was 1 on 1 - at least I thought. Just because others were worse doesn't make what Liv contributed "okay." There were more players that were bad than just MW and CW. And you shouldn't get much kudos at UCONN for "playing hard." They all play hard. At UCONN they play to win. Not give kudos for trying to keep the score close.

Reaction Score
I am writing this, old dude, without reading your assessment. I want to see how close we are in our reactions to this game. Then, I will read yours.

1. We have two "money" players. Those are players who can consistently be depended upon to give the team a boost when it is critical to do so. Usually, that means " make a big shot at a big moment." Dangerfield, of course, is the best we have. Makurat is the second best. And that is surprising, given her freshman status.

2. I thought Olivia played decently today. She battled, made a great pass for an assist, scored a few points, rebounded as best she could and blocked a shot or two. I don't think Geno necessarily agreed with me, as she spent a lot of time on the bench not in foul trouble. But I do not delude myself, she looks far away from what we need in the post. Probably a year away, despite the improvement we see from game to game.

3. Walker was simply not in the game today. Or anywhere close to being on her game. And that is so disappointing We had been trusting her as " money." But she showed she is not. Still a fine player, of course, and we should grant her an off day. But in the biggest contest of the year, at home? Trying too hard, perhaps, to show that she was on a level with another high school player of the year, Ionescu. She isn't, but no one is close.

4. Williams played as though she had been knocked out by the flu. Game and courageous. But not she may as well not have suited up.

5. Let me talk about Griffin. Here is what she is right now;

A. A player who can disrupt the other team and create turnovers.

B. An elite jumper and decent rebounder.

Here is what she is not right now:

A. A shooter. She avoids shooting because ( I fear ) she knows she shouldn't. She was 1-4 from the free throw line, and the one shot she attempted from the floor( 8-10 feet out ), didn't hit anything until it landed out of bounds. She shows absolutely no inclination to have any desire to shoot.

B. A finisher. I imagine that in High School she made endless lay-ups, largely unchallenged, due to her speed, height, and jumping ability. In the last several games, she has failed to finish on nearly every opportunity around the hoop. Whether it was a drive to the basket, a court length run with defenders trailing her, or a put-back after a rebound. If UCONN can use a "designated defender" then she has a role. But her inability to finish negates her prowess as a defender and creator of turnovers. Unless she finishes such plays ( or her teammates do ), all her good work accomplishes is to shorten the game ( she defends, steals a ball, drives to the hoop, loses the ball, new play starts ).

At the moment, she is a great athlete but a highly limited basketball player. The concern I have is that she really doesn't give off any signs ( at least not yet ) of becoming one. By contrast, for example, Olivia ( I know, she is a sophomore ) has recently shown the guts to start taking some shots, and has converted a few. One gets the sense that the ability is there, and that confidence in her shot will come. Griffin, on the other hand, avoids such moments like a plague and, when forced to shoot, doesn't look like she has ever done it before. Enough time has passed that the " she's only a freshman" excuse is beginning to wear a bit thin. There are plenty of freshmen around the country who are opening people's eyes with their play, and contributing significantly to their teams.

I thought she would show much more, by now.
I remember clips of AG shooting and making 3s. Not sure when she forgot she knew how to shoot. I’m hoping she realizes it’s just mental by next week.

Reaction Score
Here’s another way to look at tonight’s game. Basketball is about putting five very good players on the floor. UConn is a young team building to the future with potential highly talented recruits coming in. What we needed out of this year was to discover a key player. While a few of us thought from the beginning that that player would be Anna, most didn’t. How many times did we read posts that Anna was merely a place holder for an incoming recruit? You don’t hear that any more. Overall she was the best UConn player on the floor against Oregon. She is what we get from 2019-20 season. Meg had an off night but she is still an elite player. That’s two.

Christyn should be the third but for whatever reason she is experiencing a sophomore slump. But the talent is there. Too many people are ruling her out. Then there’s Liv. It is her first year as a starter. Right now she can’t play with elites. That doesn’t mean she won’t get there. So we’re back to two solids and two maybes. Then there is Aubrey, a dynamic defensive player, whose liabilities on offense will keep her on the bench. Her offensive liabilities are the type that can only be fixed in practice, not in games. Another maybe. But these maybes are all on the edge of solids. Sitting on the bench is Evina. All indications point to her as the third.

Then factor in recruits. Paige is obviously talented and could be the fourth. I have the same feeling about Edwards that I had about Anna. I could see us going away from post to forward centric play. Gabriel is supposed to be a project but could be the surprise. Then there’s Niki. Another Anna? We should be so lucky. We might not be fully back next year but I see another possible NC banner the year after. And the year after.

Or not. Doris Day wasn’t the only person who couldn’t see the future.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
But the bad news is that Oregon has next seasons' number one recruiting class.
Griffin said she was told by the staff to play defense, set picks, and rebound. They wanted to keep things simple for her. That is one reason she hesitates to take open shots. She averages less than six shots a game and unless a player is an outstanding shooter, that is not enough. Other players miss more shots than Griffin takes. The biggest disappointment to me is Walker. Sit her some and see how she responds. Keeping her in did not help much. It seems that teams have adjusted to UConn's read and react offense, an offense this team has trouble running. UConn used to stop other teams from getting to spots on the floor and completely disrupting their offense. Now, teams are doing that to UConn. I believe the talent is there but I wonder if the chemistry is.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Hebard and Sabally were ranked too low in high school. That was evident in their freshman year.

Reaction Score
No question that the better team won last night. And no question that the better team won when we lost to Baylor. That's two legitimately top-level teams. If South Carolina also beats us, we'll have three losses to top-three teams. Other than those losses, the ladies have done well, including a fine comeback win over Tennessee and a win over Depaul.

Geno has put together a very good team, just not elite as of yet. If MW and CW can get back their scoring magic, we may become elite by tournament time. If not, I'm still looking forward to a solid season.

Keep in mind that things could be considerably worse. We could be in South Bend, mourning a losing season.

Reaction Score
The difference it makes is that it throws the other 4 players out of whack and brings a defender to a place on the floor that is not advantageous to the offense. In short if Anna is not occupying the corner then Oregon doesn't have to guard that side of the floor. Additionally Anna best spot on the floor for shooting is the corner. If a UCONN player wants to go with what is instead of the play is that is called they are at the wrong school. I get that Anna was trying to make something happen. At UCONN you don't do that by free lancing. Anna might have to learn that the hard way. If Crystal or any other player on the floor allows Anna to free lance by passing her the ball in a spot she is not supposed to be it is that player that Geno will hold accountable. This is the reason Kyla is starting instead of Aubrey or Anna- the offense efficiency of the other 4 players.
I can't explain the subs by Geno tonight he tried something and it did not work. The way this game played out I also don't think you bench one of your shooters for having a bad shooting night, just kind of hope they get hot.

I thought Uconn ran an offense based on fluidity, not rigidity. There is no “right spot” per se in such an offense but rather player movement to open spots and hopefully, quick ball movement to those open players to get the defense moving reactively until a good shot shows. The idea of not passing to an open teammate because they are not in the “right spot” makes no sense to me.

Reaction Score
Both a combined 5 for 25 tonight. C'mon - our best players have to do better than that. They are the top recruits in the country and just not showing up when it counts.
Agree can’t believe they were both ranked the #1 player coming out of high school. Neither has produced at that level in fact Williams looks like she regressed this season. I thought Williams would have a break out year after the flashes she showed during her freshmen season. For whatever reason I’ve never been that impressed with Walker. She’s great against the AAC teams but gets lost against the elite teams. We’ve got a terrific point guard coming in June and if we get Azzi we will be set at the guard position for the next 5 years, barring injury. We need to focus on height like Edwards and Brady. That’s where the elite teams like Baylor, Oregon, and probably South Carolina kill us.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I will give graves alot of credit for recruiting and player development but I will not stop wondering how good Hebard would be without Sabrina and their almost telepathic rapport.

Now Sabally is another story. Wow. Closest thing I have seen to Stewie's game. And I love the story brought out bout how she watched film session of a few games where she was not contributing and how disgusted she was at her performance.

Reaction Score
OK, so, Oregon beat us. Baylor beat us. South Carolina may beat us. Oregon State isn't on our regular season schedule, but they might beat us.

We can beat all the rest of the teams in the country on most nights.

We've been overmatched, physically, at times. We're afflicted with the dreaded Stone Fingers Shooting Virus on occasion.

But we scrap and strive. At all times.

We're the fourth or fifth best team in the country.

I'll take it.

Upsets can happen in NCAA tournament play.

Reaction Score
Hebard and Sabally were ranked too low in high school. That was evident in their freshman year.
Well, for one thing, Hebard played in Alaska where they don't get much exposure except to the freezing north wind. Sabally went to high school in Germany. I will say that after I saw Sabally play in the Jordan game I had her pegged for the player with the highest upside if not being the best player on the floor. She only scored a few points but her just being on the court had an impact. She had handles, made good passes, ran the floor like a deer and blocked a shot in the paint against a post and a three point attempt on the perimeter. I do remember sharing my perspective on both the Boneyard and Rebkell. I thought then she would be a star.

Reaction Score
I’m going to respectfully disagree on Liv. Heberd did much of her damage with Liv on the bench. Liv played only 23 minutes. She shot 4/5, pulled down 6 boards, blocked 2 shots and she lead the Huskies with 6 assists.

What’s more, a lot of Heberd’s baskets were on the pick and roll where Liv switched off to guard the ball, as she should, and Ionescu or someone else dumped the ball off to Heberd for an easy basket.
Seeing the game in person, Liv gave a lot to Heberd... at one point Heberd was rearranging her jaw after a scrimmage. Liv did NOT give in ... and she scored on Heberd to. :D

Reaction Score
A young player like Aubrey needs confidence. You do not get confidence getting pulled ever time you miss a shot, make a rookie mistake. Williams and Walker are playing like very run of the mill players. They should be spending more learning time on the bench while others can learn on the court.

Reaction Score
-Anna wide open numerous times and not getting ball. What's up? Yeah, I've been noticing this for more than a few games. Won't happen next year with Paige.
-Geno totally out coached. Don't care how many championships he has won, keeping Griffin in game when she was getting abused at both ends tough to see. Perhaps he was getting Aubrey some trial by fire time to get her ready for the NCAA tourney. A loss now is not as important as a loss at tourney time.
-While I remain a big Griffin fan, she was exposed tonight. Against another athletic player, she showed no offense. When she got ball, defense backed up. Tough to watch. Again I think Geno is making an investment in Aubrey hoping for a good ROI in March.
-Would suggest we develop a Plan B offense to use against the tough defensive teams. Counting on making 3's every game not looking like the answer against teams like Oregon. Does this team have a plan B skill level now?
I saw Griffin differently, she played good on defense and not good on offense. But we already knew she needs work on offense. It’s tough for her to defend the 5 position, but definitely she needs to be in there. ONO doesn’t offer much more and sometimes Griffin plays so hard on defense it changes the game.

Reaction Score
Oregon's two losses came against teams that gave them real problems with their defenses.

They had 10 more TO's than Arizona State and half the steals...

Against Louisville...Louisville, after being behind in the first, scored more than Oregon in the three remaining periods...Louisville's bench scored 10 to Oregon's none. Oregon shot 34% to Louisville's 48%.

Reaction Score
I have a much different take. UConn was down double digits at the half. Holly Rowe reported that Geno planned to trap Ionescu in an effort to force turnovers and transition baskets in the 2nd half. In order to trap Ionescu, he needed Aubrey on the court.

It’s the same strategy that worked vs TN, but against an experienced Oregon team it didn’t work. Even when Aubrey forced a couple turnovers, she couldn’t finish at the basket. Geno was simply trying something else. It was not a reflection on Liv’s play IMO.
Your right Geno was trying to catch lightning in a bottle. That combination of players was successful starting the second half o the Tenn. game. The defense worked as Aubrey forced a few quick turnovers but couldn't deliver on the finish. Aubrey has amazing hands, so quick.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In James Crepea | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Anna is quoted as saying that UConn executed "stupid," on offense and D
It was sort of a far from typical player remark....she has not been long to the program
and is seldom quoted...

Context notwithstanding, I certainly hope that her remark does not generate bad feelings
among the players....that would be the worst outcome to a difficult loss.

I don't think that the quote was noted in any of the local media.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO you are making this up because you are frustrated. Sure we all are. I just think you're lashing out due to disappointment. And I think with some of you, Geno can never win.

1--- For example, what does the bold mean? You mean our offense was fine when she was in? SO she holds no blame for our team scoring just 13 pts in qtr 1? And our 3pt defense in qtr 1, how much of an impact was she? Who is she going to defend on the perimeter? And if she ever got matched up against Sabally she shut her down? Because I heard Lobo say every time Liv as guarding Sabally - Sabally took it to her. We were down by 10 in 1st qtr and down by 13 at the end of the 1st half. How is it that she wasn't a problem?

2-- In regards to the itallics-- in your opinion - what is the magical number of minutes that"helps" a player. SO if 24 minutes doesn't help her--what is that magical number? She's only get better if she plays 36 minutes a game? 31?

3-- In regards to the underlined-- how often do we hear Geno pulls his players too early after they make a mistake thus he hurts their confidence? So by the UCONN team struggling on offense and the opposing team drilling 3's-- how is that Liv's confidence would be soaring by keeping her in? Geno can't win. Her confidence isn't going to get better if her team isn't scoring and the opposing team is drilling shots while she is in, while a savvy Sabally takes advantage of her every time she can. When UCONN was great it didn't matter if the opposing teams starters played more minutes than them. SO now it matters when the shoe is on the other foot in that Liv can only improve if she plays "30 minutes" in the Oregon game vs 24?

4-- If the offense is struggling, it is so hard to keep both Liv and Griffin in. You saw today Aubrey - having a wide open 6-footer and she shot an airball. That other defender is helping out vs someone else. And Aubrey needs minutes too, right? So she takes quite a few from Liv. Aubrey needs minutes too.

Though maybe it is time Geno shook up the lineup by having CWill come off the bench and stop starting Irwin. -- I don't know.
Whoa! That was a lot of conversation for a simple observation of a game that was way out of hand before it started.
IMO you are making this up because you are frustrated. Sure we all are. I just think you're lashing out due to disappointment. And I think with some of you, Geno can never win.

1--- For example, what does the bold mean? You mean our offense was fine when she was in? SO she holds no blame for our team scoring just 13 pts in qtr 1? And our 3pt defense in qtr 1, how much of an impact was she? Who is she going to defend on the perimeter? And if she ever got matched up against Sabally she shut her down? Because I heard Lobo say every time Liv as guarding Sabally - Sabally took it to her. We were down by 10 in 1st qtr and down by 13 at the end of the 1st half. How is it that she wasn't a problem?

2-- In regards to the itallics-- in your opinion - what is the magical number of minutes that"helps" a player. SO if 24 minutes doesn't help her--what is that magical number? She's only get better if she plays 36 minutes a game? 31?

3-- In regards to the underlined-- how often do we hear Geno pulls his players too early after they make a mistake thus he hurts their confidence? So by the UCONN team struggling on offense and the opposing team drilling 3's-- how is that Liv's confidence would be soaring by keeping her in? Geno can't win. Her confidence isn't going to get better if her team isn't scoring and the opposing team is drilling shots while she is in, while a savvy Sabally takes advantage of her every time she can. When UCONN was great it didn't matter if the opposing teams starters played more minutes than them. SO now it matters when the shoe is on the other foot in that Liv can only improve if she plays "30 minutes" in the Oregon game vs 24?

4-- If the offense is struggling, it is so hard to keep both Liv and Griffin in. You saw today Aubrey - having a wide open 6-footer and she shot an airball. That other defender is helping out vs someone else. And Aubrey needs minutes too, right? So she takes quite a few from Liv. Aubrey needs minutes too.

Though maybe it is time Geno shook up the lineup by having CWill come off the bench and stop starting Irwin. -- I don't know.
Whoa! That was a lot of conversation for a simple observation of a game that was way out of hand before it started. For the record I'm far from being frustrated. We lost to a better team who happened to out play the team I love.

1. If you agree sitting Liv on the bench even though she is a vital piece to our success down the road so be it. I myself don't see the growth in that. She is needed component and sometimes you have to play thru ugliness to obtain success down the road.

2.From what I seen in the Baylor and Oregon game is that Liv is the only big presence and it's not enough when playing against multiple bigs or teams who have overall size advantages. She has to try and make up for poor on ball defense and guard her player along with the paint.

3. To your Lobo comment. Props to Oregon's coach for creating schemes that would take Liv off Hebbard and onto Sabally and take Liv height away from the basket. Coaching

4. So Aubrey is to take Liv minutes but no one else's? I see it differently. I say you needed to sub CW or maybe Crystal and put Aubrey on Sabrina because Crystal on ball defense was lazy at times which tells me maybe, she needed a breather so she doesn't have to pick spots on when not play hard on defense. How about Megan who also has logged heavy minutes this season. Aubrey is our utility player and can serve several roles.

5. I'm not sure why my comment was bold or in italicized. Trust it wasn't me who wrote it like that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In James Crepea | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Anna is quoted as saying that UConn executed "stupid," on offense and D
Context notwithstanding, I certainly hope that there are not bad feelings
among the players....that would be the worst outcome to a difficult loss.

I don't think that the quote was noted in any of the local media.

I say Kudos. The first step at solving problems is recognizing you have them. And since Anna seems to have one of the best BB IQ's, I would listen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom