Oregon Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oregon Postgame Thread

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I know a lot of folks like to talk about Oregon’s outstanding offense, but the Duck’s team defense has improved dramatically. Moore in particular is a tremendous defender. UConn really struggled to get open looks against the Ducks.

This. I think most UConn fans weren't buying before the game, but they probably are now.

Reaction Score
Liv was not in foul trouble this game and seemed to me to be competing hard. Would someone please explain why she was on the bench so much when Oregon was scoring inside so easily ?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Megan will have to have a good game against So Carolina if she wants to make All American this year. Another sub par game on National TV tonight didn't help her cause. She's playing hard and doing the other things Geno wants, she just didn't hit Wide Open Shots.

JBK

Reaction Score
This is what happens when 2 of your top 3 players have poor games. Maybe the flu was a real issue with CW but not sure what happened with Meg. And having Kyla start is just not reasonable anymore.
Agreed completely.
5 for 25 from meg and CW ( hard to play with the flu ) will not end in a good result with the best team in the country. Anna needs to start and try to avoid these slow starts.
UCONN staters play at their pinnacle, they are capable of shocking this team in March

Reaction Score
Both a combined 5 for 25 tonight. C'mon - our best players have to do better than that. They are the top recruits in the country and just not showing up when it counts.
Didn't I just say that! Have another drink!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
-Anna wide open numerous times and not getting ball. What's up?
Anna was not where she was supposed to be on those offensive sets. Everyone on the bench including Geno was motionning for her to get out of there. Left baseline corner is where she was supposed to be not at the top of the key.

Reaction Score
Liv was not in foul trouble this game and seemed to me to be competing hard. Would someone please explain why she was on the bench so much when Oregon was scoring inside so easily ?

I'm not sure sitting her on the bench helps her for the future. To your point she wasn't the problem when we were behind.

Reaction Score
Prior to the game, my thought was that UConn needed more than the 60ish points it was getting against top opponents - 75 at minimum. That Oregon was able to score at that level was no surprise, after all.

All in all, it's a bummer like any loss, but it was in line with expectations given Oregon's and UConn's performances this season up to this point. UConn will need to figure out how to get their offense to run more smoothly against athletic and tall defenders. If they can figure that out, a FF run is still in play.

Props to CD and Makurat...and I think also ONO. ONO's performance wasn't perfect by any stretch and won't get the headlines, but she acquitted herself better here than against some other top opponents this year...and I think that deserves credit.

Reaction Score
The team has little to zero inside presence - on both ends. Our offense is literally pass the ball around the perimeter, wait for an open shot, and hope the 3 or long 2 goes in. We dont have enough post players, physical players to do anything more. On defense, Oregon could drive and do anything they wanted inside.

Basically, the team, as constructed, cant compete against the good teams - who do have size & physical presence. At one point, we were shooting 50% from 3 & still getting blown out! Blame recruiting, blame bad luck with injuries, but thats the bottom line.

Reaction Score
I can understand..."but if only UConn made more shots" kind of statements, but Oregon honestly could've played better. Missed quite a few bunnies, only 6-20 behind the arc, Ionescu was only 4-12 from the floor, no bench points.
Sabrina was one rebound, one assist away from a triple double.

Reaction Score
My courtside comments were deleted and I understand that I started to become a little "game threadish"... sorry.
Observations from 4 rows up, center court:
a. UCONN played hard once they got over initial shock,
b. A lot of very questionable calls and no calls
- Ionescu is a quality player, but her use of her left arm when driving or dribbling around offensive end would make some NFL and NCAA running backs proud. Never called.
C. UCONN had many shots half way down and come out...uncanny
d. ONO battled under the basket all night. She was beaten constantly...rarely called
e. If UCONN could make the chippy shots, a whole different game.
F. Danger continues to be a team leader. She face guarded Ionescu in early part of game and really frustrated her... 6 pts at half.

Reaction Score
Bright spots:

ONO- 8pts, 6reb, 6ast on 4/5 shooting. By no means a perfect game but made an impact for the first time in a bigger game.

Makurat- you could tell she wanted to take more shots but the ball doesn’t seem to find her. It would be interesting to see what it would look like if they ran plays for her because she is very capable of hitting shots.

Dangerfield- like the first half against Tennessee, she carried the team for stretches. You could tell she was gassed by her FT shooting in the second half.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I saw what I saw. Oregon plays like UConn use to play. Great team! UConn needs to really learn from this loss, but it may be too late in the season. AAC is not going to challenge this team but it may provide an area where they can really practice. Who the hell knows at this point.

Pretty good observation. Very pass heavy offense and a lot of movement offensively. Oregon just looked solidly better in all areas. They're so much more experienced and have WNBA caliber players in the backcourt, on the wing and in the post, not to mention a slew of dead eye shooters and another strong guard. There's a reason why they were everyone's #1 team coming into the season.

I know Williams was sick, but UCONN just isn't going to compete with the best of the best with Williams/Walker shooting 5-25. If the hit more shots, maybe it's competitive but honestly I just don't think it's UCONN's year. They lost 2 of the best scorers in program history and have very young and inexperienced players taking on roles they aren't ready for. Usually UCONN just reloads but the lack of experience combined with lack of depth is proving to be a lot to overcome. Never say never, but aside from 2004 and 2013, UCONN has won their other 9 titles when they're the commanding #1 team in the country for the majority of the season.

ONO had a good game but has struggled against bigger defenders and isn't a polished product offensively. Williams has all of the tools but doesn't appear to have the "I need to take over" instinct yet. I know she was sick, but in other games too. She'll quietly put up 15-20 most nights but you barely notice it. Might be another year before she realizes how good she can be and unleashes. Griffin is the perfect spark plug player off the bench right now but doesn't have the savvy to play starters minutes without a lot of young mistakes. Plus another freshman in Makurat (who was excellent tonight) and that's 4 of your top 6 players. Future is bright but it's tough right now. I think UCONN has a great opportunity next week playing South Carolina, who also is young and has never done well against the Huskies. Still a lot of season left to go, but next week is going to be important.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Anyone else feel like Geno did a "pysch" (is the spelling correct?) by clearing the bench, "making" Kelly do the same, before Sabrina got a triple-double?
Yeah, me neither.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom