Oregon Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oregon Postgame Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sabrina was one rebound, one assist away from a triple double.

That would have been her 24th which carries great smbolism.
She really controlled the game, especially in the first half. But we've all seen games when she can't miss, especially from deep, and this was not one of those games.

Maybe to amped to get the 24th triple double? Not the best of Sabrina which is scary.

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • Oregon ran their offense well and hit their shots. We had no answer for hebard and sabally. Moore played good defense for the ducks. We were outplayed tonight and you have to give credit to the better team.
  • Crystal was the only one that had an intensity and confidence to play like we could win this game. Anna was most of the time but she’s still young. I’m disappointed in Williams. She’s just not turning into that dog that we need in a fight, perhaps she was sick, but she runs around sometimes like she’s on eggshells instead of showing an aggressiveness. I hope she’ll turn it around but I don’t see her ever being more than a good player right now for us.
  • I thought meg tried hard but the shot was not falling and she couldn’t get past the more athletic sabally.
  • Liv was decent amd fought and at least didn’t lay an egg. Aubrey played hard but just exposes the ball too much and doesn’t have that savvy around the rim yet. Needs to work on shot and free throws.
  • Anna played well. I’m most impressed with her development. Scores rebounds and handles the ball for us. Thank god for her.
  • I think we are a very good team, but it’s probably going to take a perfect storm for us to get to the final four or win a championship. We just aren’t as talented as Baylor, Oregon and probably South Carolina
  • Now that we’re playing these top teams and seeing how we stack up I’m ok with it and have come to peace with our team. Let’s enjoy the team for who they are and have the right expectations going forward. Perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised, but most likely we are an elite eight team and maybe a final four team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I can understand..."but if only UConn made more shots" kind of statements, but Oregon honestly could've played better. Missed quite a few bunnies, only 6-20 behind the arc, Ionescu was only 4-12 from the floor, no bench points.
Besides the fact that it's the height of tautology to say we would've won if we'd scored more points.

Reaction Score
It was what was expected. Oregon is just much, much better. But there were bright spots. Crystal played her heart out. Anna played a vicious faceguard defense, had four rebounds, 4 assists and 13 points. The threes were fine, the short jumper and cut even better. Pass the damn ball to her. Aubrey played great defense but her offense isn’t there yet. Girl needs to spend off season shooting free throws. Kudos to CW for showing up. I wondered if Meg could stand up to Oregon wall. While she mostly didn’t, she had at least two threes ring out. Liv had moments, just not enough, but after another year...Kyla was only a symbolic starter but Anna was Lou Gehrig, once she went in, she stayed there until last minute when Geno emptied bench. If you accept the fact that Anna is the starter in reality, all of UConn’s points save three by AG, like Oregon, were scored for starters. Goal should be to make elite eight and then hope.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A few thoughts:
-Believe we can beat the Ducks with a different offense and at least a few players making shots.
-Anna wide open numerous times and not getting ball. What's up?
-Geno totally out coached. Don't care how many championships he has won, keeping Griffin in game when she was getting abused at both ends tough to see.
-While I remain a big Griffin fan, she was exposed tonight. Against another athletic player, she showed no offense. When she got ball, defense backed up. Tough to watch.
-Would suggest we develop a Plan B offense to use against the tough defensive teams. Counting on making 3's every game not looking like the answer against teams like Oregon.

What offense do you think can be implemented? Almost every good team is a lot bigger than the Huskies, and ONO gives you size and good post defense but doesn't always make the team better offensively when she's out there. Makurat/Walker are significantly better taking set shots than creating off the bounce. Dangerfield is a good creator for herself but doesn't create a ton of shots for others. Williams is the most dynamic offensive threat IMO but I don't see a lot of plays being run for her. Irwin when she's out there isn't a threat, and Griffin really isn't either in a half court game but wreaks havoc defensively and attacking the glass. None of Adebayo/Camara/Bent get any playing time in games like this. There just aren't the same number of offensive options you've had in years prior and the ball movement isn't the same.

Reaction Score
Oregon was the better team tonight. UConn can play better and we have the ability, if players are on, to be in the final 4.

Not meant to b a nic picking comment, but Oregon is a champ at moving screens, which the refs don't seem to call. Or is that just me thinking that?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Anna was not where she was supposed to be on those offensive sets. Everyone on the bench including Geno was motionning for her to get out of there. Left baseline corner is where she was supposed to be not at the top of the key.
What difference does it make if she was wide open? Dangerfield was dribbling into trouble and lost the ball, passing to an open teammate was the right thing to do. Sometimes a player has to go with what is instead of what should be. Also, was Liv playing so bad that she needed to sit so much? Walker needed to sit some. If anyone else was having such a bad offensive game she would have been replaced. Further, the defense was not so bad. Oregon was held well below their season average and if UConn had gotten better offensive output from some of their stars, some of the comments made here would not have been made, including mine.

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • Oregon ran their offense well and hit their shots. We had no answer for hebard and sabally. Moore played good defense for the ducks. We were outplayed tonight and you have to give credit to the better team.
  • Crystal was the only one that had an intensity and confidence to play like we could win this game. Anna was most of the time but she’s still young. I’m disappointed in Williams. She’s just not turning into that dog that we need in a fight, perhaps she was sick, but she runs around sometimes like she’s on eggshells instead of showing an aggressiveness. I hope she’ll turn it around but I don’t see her ever being more than a good player right now for us.
  • I thought meg tried hard but the shot was not falling and she couldn’t get past the more athletic sabally.
  • Liv was decent amd fought and at least didn’t lay an egg. Aubrey played hard but just exposes the ball too much and doesn’t have that savvy around the rim yet. Needs to work on shot and free throws.
  • Anna played well. I’m most impressed with her development. Scores rebounds and handles the ball for us. Thank god for her.
  • I think we are a very good team, but it’s probably going to take a perfect storm for us to get to the final four or win a championship. We just aren’t as talented as Baylor, Oregon and probably South Carolina
  • Now that we’re playing these top teams and seeing how we stack up I’m ok with it and have come to peace with our team. Let’s enjoy the team for who they are and have the right expectations going forward. Perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised, but most likely we are an elite eight team and maybe a final four team.
Agree. Enjoy what we have now. Then after the last game, look to next year. Let’s make Crystal’s last year one to remember as much as possible.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
A few thoughts:
-Believe we can beat the Ducks with a different offense and at least a few players making shots.
-Anna wide open numerous times and not getting ball. What's up?
-Geno totally out coached. Don't care how many championships he has won, keeping Griffin in game when she was getting abused at both ends tough to see.
-While I remain a big Griffin fan, she was exposed tonight. Against another athletic player, she showed no offense. When she got ball, defense backed up. Tough to watch.
-Would suggest we develop a Plan B offense to use against the tough defensive teams. Counting on making 3's every game not looking like the answer against teams like Oregon.

Get real. If he takes out Griffin, who does he put in? Oregon had five offensive threats and solid defenders out there. UConn could barely match up with three of them. All five of Oregon's starters had double figures. Ionescu had fewer than the other four. They didn't have a bench point or rebound. Ododa got eaten up by Hebard who had three times the points and twice the rebounds. Makurat had 13 points but probably allowed 20 as they'd blow by her and hit a 10-12 footer before Ododa could come out. Graves started milking the clock near the end of the third quarter or the final score might have been worse.

Sure, if Williams and Walker make more shots it's a more competitive game. But between now and late March I don't think Ododa and Griffin will improve much, and Makurat and Irwin won't get any faster. Oregon shot pretty close to their average tonight, and their offensive scheme, good passing, and quick-release shooters get them good looks. I think Oregon would win this matchup nine times out of ten. The Huskies chances to make another Final Four will best be served if they don't get sent to the Portland Regional.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Further, the defense was not so bad. Oregon was held well below their season average and if UConn had gotten better offensive output from some of their stars, some of the comments made here would not have been made, including mine.
I am going to pick at this one. Oregon had 44 at the half, just above their average of 86.8 ppg, and 64 after 3Q. The fourth quarter was the only one where Oregon scored significantly below their average, and by then the game felt out of reach.

Reaction Score
I get a kick on how people comment on the game of basketball. Shots either go in or they don't...when they go in you are great, and when they don't you are terrible...neither is true.
My comments would be:
Slow to switch and cover on defense, too many layups by Oregon
Oregon knocked the ball out of our hands , have to be stronger with the ball
Our 4 guard lineup gave up too many offensive rebounds
Aubrey needs work on offense but mostly played good defense.
Thought Megan got clobbered numerous times while shooting no calls

Losses are not the end of the world, plenty of things to work on.

Reaction Score
My courtside comments were deleted and I understand that I started to become a little "game threadish"... sorry.
Observations from 4 rows up, center court:
a. UCONN played hard once they got over initial shock,
b. A lot of very questionable calls and no calls
- Ionescu is a quality player, but her use of her left arm when driving or dribbling around offensive end would make some NFL and NCAA running backs proud. Never called.
C. UCONN had many shots half way down and come out...uncanny
d. ONO battled under the basket all night. She was beaten constantly...rarely called
e. If UCONN could make the chippy shots, a whole different game.
F. Danger continues to be a team leader. She face guarded Ionescu in early part of game and really frustrated her... 6 pts at half.
From my view, If Oregon and UConn played 10 times, Oregon would win a minimum of 8 games. Oregon is a far superior team.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I saw what I saw. Oregon plays like UConn use to play. Great team! UConn needs to really learn from this loss, but it may be too late in the season. AAC is not going to challenge this team but it may provide an area where they can really practice. Who the hell knows at this point.

Exactly what I said to my wife while we were watching the game.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
A few thoughts:
-Anna wide open numerous times and not getting ball. What's up? Yeah, I've been noticing this for more than a few games. Won't happen next year with Paige.
-Geno totally out coached. Don't care how many championships he has won, keeping Griffin in game when she was getting abused at both ends tough to see. Perhaps he was getting Aubrey some trial by fire time to get her ready for the NCAA tourney. A loss now is not as important as a loss at tourney time.
-While I remain a big Griffin fan, she was exposed tonight. Against another athletic player, she showed no offense. When she got ball, defense backed up. Tough to watch. Again I think Geno is making an investment in Aubrey hoping for a good ROI in March.
-Would suggest we develop a Plan B offense to use against the tough defensive teams. Counting on making 3's every game not looking like the answer against teams like Oregon. Does this team have a plan B skill level now?

Reaction Score
Trying to match layups with jumpshots is/was a losing proposition. Congrats to Oregon. They looked like a well-oiled machine reminiscent of past UConn teams.
One of these nights, Makurat starts, maybe Griffin. Aubrey and Ono have to come to the gym and get fed balls for reliable fifteen footers. Ono has improved as has Anna and Griffin can be a force. Let those five or six play together in practice and improve their chemistry, then it all doesn't fall on three veteran players to carry the load. It's possible Geno is saving his best athletes for a surprise on an unwary late season opponent.

Reaction Score
From my view, If Oregon and UConn played 10 times, Oregon would win a minimum of 8 games. Oregon is a far superior team.
Ok... where did I make that kind of comparison??? I was sharing what I observed from this game and being there. :confused:

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Be it high post pick and roll or low post feed the end result was 44 to 14 points in paint. Oregon had a good layup drill. Although she played better than Baylor Liv has to step up but that may be problematic for now against elite teams. Aubrey has to learn to finish a play and protect the ball on a layup.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Jamelle probably wants to get back to her day job. :(

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
What struck me, and something I didn't really grasp until the 2 teams met head to head, is that the Oregon starters (and probably the bench as well) is, with the exception of Moore, bigger than UConn's starters -- with the exception of ONO. And the Oregon starters have long arms as well & they used them to disrupt UConn passes The other interesting thing is that, unlike Tenn's bigs, Oregon's bigger players are fast and relentless. Sabrina is pretty much a known quantity, & she wasn't having -- and didn't need -- one of her spectacular games.

Crystal played full on until Q4, when she ran out of gas; even missed free throws. She's a treasure & can't be appreciated enough. But Oregon's Moore played outstanding point; better than her usual if the ESPN commentators were correct. Oregon used its assets and their good training & experience to play excellent defense, but Crystal's efficiency indicated that Megan and Christyn are still in an offensive slump not due entirely to the Ducks' defense. CW was handicapped by illness & that the size & quickness of Oregon players frustrated her usually strong offensive contribution, layups -- this happened with Crystal as well. But I didn't see anything notably "cringeworthy" in her passes, despite the fast pace. This also had an impact on Griffin as well -- she was able to disrupt Oregon offense but couldn't finish -- the Duck players were as fast as she was, and they could foul or block her at will since she has had a poor FT percentage so far. Not sure if the coaches knew how best to use ONO; looked like they were trying different substitutions to see if anything worked. Anna managed to make some helpful 3s, a lot better offensive performance than her previous outing. It could be she could have scored more 3s if she had been the target of more passes (she was pretty close to Crystal in efficiency) but she had the tendency to stand around waiting for a pass rather than moving more, I thought. Maybe this had something to do with it.

Good news is that Ionescu, Hebard (one of my favorite Oregon players), and Moore won't be around next year. They probably felt the same way about Katie Lou and Napheesa. I don't know if Boley is graduating, but she chose a fine time to get her 3 pt shooting zeroed in this evening. In other games I've seen she rode the bench quite a bit because of her erratic shooting. Will they be as good with just Sabaly, who, admittedly, is very very good.

I know too little about the game to have any suggestions for improving player performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno is currently in a tough spot.

Aubrey is great defensively but then she steals the ball then travels.

ONO is really good if she taps into her talent and becomes a threat inside that would cause the defense to trap and should could kick it out to Walker, Williams, Markurat, Irwin or Dangerfield who can nail the 3.

I feel Uconn still has a chance at a championship in 2020. they're still learning and growing. Against Baylor we shot poorly.

Against Oregon we shot poorly. Not really a huge if but IF Uconn makes their shots that they ALWAYS make... this team is literally unstoppable..

I think they look at their opponents and get cold feet.

Due time it will all make sense

2021 Champions
2022 Champions
2023 Champions
2024 Champions

Somebody bookmark this post ;). #BleedBlue :)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Extremely disappointing performance. I look at Walker and Williams and find it hard to believe they were the #1 recruits coming out of high school. I expected a breakout season from Williams but she seems to have regressed from last year. She could very well lose her starting position next season if she doesn’t get her act together. Walker does not seem to play well against the elite teams. The long and short of it is at this point UConn is not a final four team. They have a lot of work to do.
And it's not because they are not getting the shots. They just don't go in. Both Walker (3-16) and Williams (2-9) were awful tonight. Walker and Williams need to look in the mirror and ask themselves XXX? Had they played to their season averages UConn would have won the game instead of suffering a double digit embarassment on their home court.
Not only is the Gampel win streak broken but UConn will not make the final four. They are just not good enough. This team reminds me of the dark times post Taurasi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom