Oregon Coach Gives UConn No Credit | The Boneyard

Oregon Coach Gives UConn No Credit

Reaction Score
Here is the sum total of the comments from Oregon coach Dana Altman from The Oregonian after last night's game:

“We didn’t respond very well,” Oregon coach Dana Altman said. “Bigs really just didn’t get out and cover a number of times. Our perimeter defense wasn’t good and they hit shots. Newton coming in the game 4 for 17 and goes 5 for 6 the first half. We let him get a couple of easy ones early and he got on a roll. We didn’t help ourselves out with our turnovers, missed some free throws that first half, which could have kept us a little closer. But obviously just didn’t guard.”

“Our passing and catching isn’t what it should be,” Altman said. “We had five turnovers to start the second half which didn’t even enable us to get back in the game. They were bad turnovers, just passing and catching.”

About forward Quincy Guerrier:
“We need him to free up and get going,” Altman said. “He’s a little more comfortable with a bigger guy on him. Playing the 3 has been an adjustment for him, a little bit more ball-handling, a little bit more responsibilities defensively. But we do need him to get going. We know he can play. He’s struggling.”

“Our guys are down,” Altman said. “We came into the season with big expectations and Brennan gets hurt, Keeshawn’s hurt now, Jermaine’s hurt, guys we were depending on and we haven’t adjusted well. We haven’t adjusted well as a coaching staff. We haven’t adjusted well playing.

“Our ball handling is real suspect now. People know that; they get after Will and made it really difficult on Will tonight. We’re basically out there with four forwards or three forwards and a center. We’re going to have to continue to adjust and hope like heck we get some guys healthy here pretty quick.”

That's it -- not a word of credit to the UConn team or any individual UConn player.

Reaction Score
Honesty who cares. I was saying to @husky429 I have no sympathy for teams who are shorthanded because of injuries. How many times under Ollie/DH have we been in the same situation? At least under DH, we have won games, or been competitive. We beat the crap out of them. Move on.

Altman is feeling heat because his team is 2-3, and they haven't even played a road game yet.

Reaction Score
Here is the sum total of the comments from Oregon coach Dana Altman from The Oregonian after last night's game:

“We didn’t respond very well,” Oregon coach Dana Altman said. “Bigs really just didn’t get out and cover a number of times. Our perimeter defense wasn’t good and they hit shots. Newton coming in the game 4 for 17 and goes 5 for 6 the first half. We let him get a couple of easy ones early and he got on a roll. We didn’t help ourselves out with our turnovers, missed some free throws that first half, which could have kept us a little closer. But obviously just didn’t guard.”

“Our passing and catching isn’t what it should be,” Altman said. “We had five turnovers to start the second half which didn’t even enable us to get back in the game. They were bad turnovers, just passing and catching.”

“We need him to free up and get going,” Altman said. “He’s a little more comfortable with a bigger guy on him. Playing the 3 has been an adjustment for him, a little bit more ball-handling, a little bit more responsibilities defensively. But we do need him to get going. We know he can play. He’s struggling.”

“Our guys are down,” Altman said. “We came into the season with big expectations and Brennan gets hurt, Keeshawn’s hurt now, Jermaine’s hurt, guys we were depending on and we haven’t adjusted well. We haven’t adjusted well as a coaching staff. We haven’t adjusted well playing.

“Our ball handling is real suspect now. People know that; they get after Will and made it really difficult on Will tonight. We’re basically out there with four forwards or three forwards and a center. We’re going to have to continue to adjust and hope like heck we get some guys healthy here pretty quick.”

That's it -- not a word of credit to the UConn team or any individual UConn player.

Wow not a word on the Huskies. Whining and excuses screw him hope they miss out on the NIT as well Dana.

Reaction Score
I've been searching for post game comments all morning. Thanks for posting. But I'll say I think he said what was on his mind. UConn shot historically well in part to his teams terrible perimeter defense. Yes we moved the ball well but that defense looked terrible. Would like to see credit given, but won't ever expect it.

Reaction Score
He's trying to get his guys to rebound and play with a chip on their shoulder today against Mich St. They need this one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t really care but His comment about on Newton is pretty ignorant. It’s obvious newton can shoot and get hot if he took the time to even look at his east Carolina stats instead of relying on a sample size of blowout games

Reaction Score
Don’t really care but His comment about on Newton is pretty ignorant. It’s obvious newton can shoot and get hot if he took the time to even look at his east Carolina stats instead of relying on a sample size of blowout games
If I were him or a fan of Oregon, that's exactly how I'd feel lol. Guy can't shoot all year and goes bonkers against us. How often has that happened to us?

Reaction Score
To be honest coaches typically focus on their teams errors , that’s the way they watch a game . That’s why.they age prematurely. However most typically throw in “but credit the other team “ whether sincere or not who knows.

Reaction Score
If I recall, Altman was the same way after we beat them in 2017 at PK80 and a few here were critical of him. Despite his Nike cash pipeline, his program is far from elite. Credentials aren’t there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The worst sour grapes from a coach for me came after UConn spotted Sparty 20 points at MSG and crushed 'em anyway. Said Izzo, "They made free throws".

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1669387785458.png

Reaction Score
We were technically short handed the first 3 games as well- that’s why you recruit talented backups. Credit to the UConn coaching staff for assembling this deep roster. Altman should take notes.

Technically we’re still down a starter, lol

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
He doesn’t need to blow us. This is not something to get worked up about. That team is seriously depleted right now. He’s pissed and cares about their own glaring issues without having to coronate UConn so UConn fans can call him “ classy”.

Hopefully we continue to piss off opposing coaches. I’m good with that .

Reaction Score
Altman was never a good coach. Thought we could have played better. We have a lot to work on.

Reaction Score

“We let him get a couple easy ones early”. Ha! He was about 6’ beyond the arc.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I wouldn't get so riled up about it
You could tell from the sidelines he was in agony over his team and their performance
He was frustrated - if the shoe was on the other foot we don't know how DH would have reacted
Yesterday was yesterday - today is an Alabama team that appears to be everything that Oregon isn't. They will be a handful for sure. The freshman Miller reminds me of Jabari Smith (Auburn last season)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I wouldn't get so riled up about it
You could tell from the sidelines he was in agony over his team and their performance
He was frustrated - if the shoe was on the other foot we don't know how DH would have reacted
Yesterday was yesterday - today is an Alabama team that appears to be everything that Oregon isn't. They will be a handful for sure. The freshman Miller reminds me of Jabari Smith (Auburn last season)
Not a bad comparison, but a better shooter than smith, not close to as strong as smith attacking the rim. Real, real nice player. A lottery pick for sure

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom