OR vs MD game thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OR vs MD game thread

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You hit the nail right on the head! But it's not just the Carolinas it's anywhere in the south. The NCAA wants to fill the seats on these but Rupp Arena was nearly empty last night as well as The Chesapeake Energy Arena. But prior to the selection show everyone made a fuss about how Baylor or ND fans could fill up their regionals. I just think the NCAA needs to rethink either the hosting sites or the teams they place on them if they want a better turn out.

But I'm glad the UCONN fans should put their regional and actually get to see their team play in person.
I believe NC knocked themselves out of any NCAA sponsored event with their bathroom bill and I am not sure they have corrected that yet (first round games were exempted from that rule.) TX is headed in the same sort of direction. Not sure what the status is in SC on those sorts of issues? But the big thing is finding a venue that is interested in making that kind of commitment and submitting a bid. The NE has had a lot of venues submitting bids because of the Uconn fans and their willingness to travel 2+ hours for WCBB. TN was the other best traveling band in days past. SC fans are certainly stepping up at home, but not sure they have gotten there yet on a national travel basis.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just because a team loses, doesn't mean they were overseeded.
Just having some fun here at Webster Bank. On the serious side, MD played without energy and OR played inspired basketball. I don't know if the Terps overlooked the Ducks, but it sure looked like it.

Reaction Score
Just because a team loses, doesn't mean they were overseeded.
What it suggests is that Maryland playing that horrific out of conference schedule, wasn't prepared to play quality teams at this point and time. Winning games 107-44 against horrible competition doesn't get you ready, does it? Based on their record, they would have been a two seed but the RPI said it all. Now they paid the piper.

Reaction Score
Am curious why everyone is so quick to say that MD was outcoached or choked.
Is it not possible that Oregon's players, you know, played better?
No disrespect at all to the Ducks. They deserved the win, they outplayed Maryland. However, Maryland is a seasoned, veteran, tournament tested team...they choked!

Reaction Score
No disrespect at all to the Ducks. They deserved the win, they outplayed Maryland. However, Maryland is a seasoned, veteran, tournament tested team...they choked!

In what way did they choke? Did they play nervous? Make a lot of out of the ordinary errors? Miss easy shots?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Did Maryland choke last year against Washington? They just flat out got outplayed last year, and it appears the same thing happened again today.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not bad for the 5th best team from the Pac 12. Hopefully somebody from the Pac gets Maryland in the Tourney every year, that seems to be working out pretty well lately.

I know it's lame to quote yourself, but couldn't seem to edit this post. Oregon was actually the 6th best team from the Pac, not 5th.

Reaction Score
Maryland once again lays an egg. In my opinion Brenda can't seem to instill the mental toughness in her players to deal with adversity. You could tell once Oregon hung around for the first half they were unfocused, frustrated, and just looked really tight. Panicking might be too strong of a description, but befuddlement and a lack of adjustments (no plan B) to change the flow of the game or make Oregon feel uncomfortable at all was the Terps downfall today.

Reaction Score
Because they play in a tough conference?
And they play a lot of freshmen who had to make the adjustment to college ball as the year went on. Looks like they've made that adjustment.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
MD is actually playing a lot of young players as well, but they do have senior leadership that didn't get it done today - neither had the kind of effort for 40 minutes that you need when you are in a dog fight.
And Brenda proved again that she is a mid rank coach who recruits really well.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I know it's lame to quote yourself, but couldn't seem to edit this post. Oregon was actually the 6th best team from the Pac, not 5th.
I believe on this forum you can only edit a post for the first 15 minutes after you post.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Because they play in a tough conference?
Oregon was the 6th-place team at 8-10 in a 12-team conference, and they just beat a team considered by many to be top 4 in the country. This should say something about the quality of the Pac-12, which many posters have called into question.

I'd like to think that we won't hear another peep about the Pac-12 being overrated, but I have a feeling that next year we'll hear the same ol' song 'n dance.:rolleyes::confused:

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon was the 6th-place team at 8-10 in a 12-team conference, and they just beat a team considered by many to be top 4 in the country. This should say something about the quality of the Pac-12, which many posters have called into question.

I'd like to think that we won't hear another peep about the Pac-12 being overrated, but I have a feeling that next year we'll hear the same ol' song 'n dance.:rolleyes::confused:

I think you're right. Last year was casually dismissed as a fluke. This year the conference overall had a strong performance in the Tourney and got another team in the Final 4 (I'm gonna go ahead and assume UConn beats Oregon on Monday so there won't be 2 Pac 12 teams in Dallas). Next year we'll hear the same thing about paper tigers and bogus RPIs, they didn't play anybody OOC, and they usually underachieve in the Tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom