Open Schollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Open Schollie

Reaction Score
I mean, from his perspective, why wouldn't you reclass and come here if Kentucky isn't an option? Why would he want to go back to high school for another year?

True but taking Kentucky out, I'm sure there are several other schools that want him and have room for him this year besides UConn. I'm not on top of his recruiting but he looks like a player that should be in high demand.

Reaction Score
Garrison transferred after two years though. I'd doubt you'd find a kid who would be willing to play for a year as a freshman and the transfer after his first year. Nor do I think Hurley would accept that type of arrangement.

I don't remember Garrison coming back for a second year. I do remember that when he was recruited he understood that UConn didn't view him as more than a stopgap to deal with AJ and Marcus Williams' issues.

That having been said, grad transfer is obviously much more likely.

Reaction Score
I mean, from his perspective, why wouldn't you reclass and come here if Kentucky isn't an option? Why would he want to go back to high school for another year?

Logic, I like it. Why choose Rutgers over UConn? He's supposed to have some news coming up and I think it was Chiep said "good news coming soon" on here. Why would we spend all this effort to open a scholly for a second tier prospect, it's possible but unlucky? What other top options are realistic out there? Why expose your hand that you have another open scholly now if there wasn't a reason? Ironic that Cliff has a camp this weekend Hurley is going to be at.

Logically it makes sense...... Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Please run me over with the Boneyard Truck at full speed when it doesn't happen because if and when it does you bet I'm going to be boasting!

Reaction Score
True but taking Kentucky out, I'm sure there are several other schools that want him and have room for him this year besides UConn. I'm not on top of his recruiting but he looks like a player that should be in high demand.

Supposedly Rutgers and Pitt is coming hard late.

Reaction Score
UConn did not post anything to a recruit on Instagram. That’s kind of not allowed.

This is how you manage a situation like this. It’s a positive outcome for both the team and player, and everyone gets to feel good about how it was handled.

The way Mo is talking about it- how he appreciates how the staff communicated with him, how he still feels a part of the team and can see a future with this path- shows it was dealt with appropriately.

Reaction Score
Spoiler: They won't eat the scholarship after going through the effort to free one up

I’m aware, just giving my two cents. The staff has a plan and I’ll believe in it. Just saying I’d rather save a scholarship and go hard after a top 100 guy in 2020 than settle for a top 300 guy for 2019 just to fill the scholarship.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Logic, I like it. Why choose Rutgers over UConn? He's supposed to have some news coming up and I think it was Chiep said "good news coming soon" on here. Why would we spend all this effort to open a scholly for a second tier prospect, it's possible but unlucky? What other top options are realistic out there? Why expose your hand that you have another open scholly now if there wasn't a reason? Ironic that Cliff has a camp this weekend Hurley is going to be at.

Logically it makes sense. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Have you been ignoring what posters with links to what goes on behind the scenes have been saying about Valdir Manuel? Calling him a “second tier prospect” is a little harsh, by the way.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
UConn did not post anything to a recruit on Instagram. That’s kind of not allowed.

This is how you manage a situation like this. It’s a positive outcome for both the team and player, and everyone gets to feel good about how it was handled.

The way Mo is talking about it- how he appreciates how the staff communicated with him, how he still feels a part of the team and can see a future with this path- shows it was dealt with appropriately.

They sent the picture to Cliff–which they are allowed to do–and he reposted a screenshot of it on his Instagram story.

Reaction Score
Have you been ignoring what posters with links to what goes on behind the scenes have been saying about Valdir Manuel? Calling him a “second tier prospect” is a little harsh, by the way.

Is it? I think you could argue either way on that one. We sit on opposite sides of the fence but I respect your point.

Reaction Score
Right, which is way different than they “posted to him yesterday on instagram.”

Seems like we are getting caught up in the weeds on this point. We obviously are recruiting him hard and sent him a message which he liked enough to post with a few others. Timing is there and I feel strongly he is going to reclassify. Does anyone on here really think if he does reclass we don't have a very strong shot? Then shouldn't we be cautiously excited?

Reaction Score

Not many kids graduate college with coaching experience. Between UConn, coming from a northeast prep powerhouse, and NY Jayhawks connections, I’m sure he’ll hit the ground running in his coaching career. Glad he’s still set up for success after graduating.

Hey @husky429 you need an assistant? Lol

Reaction Score
Seems like we are getting caught up in the weeds on this point. We obviously are recruiting him hard and sent him a message which he liked enough to post with a few others. Timing is there and I feel strongly he is going to reclassify. Does anyone on here really think if he does reclass we don't have a very strong shot? Then shouldn't we be cautiously excited?

I’m clearly just talking about things that are recruiting violations and things that are not.

My comment had nothing to do with their level of interest in him.

Reaction Score

Please run me over with the Boneyard Truck at full speed when it doesn't happen because if and when it does you bet I'm going to be boasting!
Chiep doesn’t recall saying “good news coming soon” but 1000% agrees with your logic. It seems quite plausible.

And Chiep will stand with you for the truck hit. If it does then boast away.

For the next 8+ years Chiep can claim he called Cliff in 2019. Kinda like Dre in 2011.

Reaction Score
Chiep doesn’t recall saying “good news coming soon” but 1000% agrees with your logic. It seems quite plausible.

And Chiep will stand with you for the truck hit. If it does then boast away.

For the next 8+ years Chiep can claim he called Cliff in 2019. Kinda like Dre in 2011.

Sorry Chiep it was KMart that said good news soon.......but welcome to team CLIFF FOR '19

Reaction Score
Have to agree with the harshness. Chiep would be happy with either although, as stated earlier, feels Cliff has a little more upside.

In any case, Hurley is truly impressive. Chiep hopes we have many many years of enjoying his coaching.

Reaction Score
In all honesty I think we would all take and be happy with either. Me suggesting Cliff is in another tier, in my opinion, doesn't mean I wouldn't want him. I would certainly prefer Cliff who I believe to be the better recruit on many levels including higher profile which is important when (re)building a program. Beggers can't be choosers though if we get Valdir that would make my prediction wrong and disappointing!

Reaction Score

"All this effort?" We got a guy who was never going to be able to play again to quit voluntarily before we pushed him out. I don't understand the thought that we were going to carry a guy who was never going to be able to play for another year except that we have someone really good in mind.

Reaction Score
Timing is interesting. Why not sooner? Why now? Is it really news that he wasn't going to be able to play. Sure by itself it could be just coincidence. Everything else considered....

Reaction Score
Timing is interesting. Why not sooner? Why now? Is it really news that he wasn't going to be able to play. Sure by itself it could be just coincidence. Everything else considered....

Considering he had classes I am sure they waited until the end of the semester for medical and the Diarra family to make the decision and announcement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom