Open Practice Tuesday | The Boneyard

Open Practice Tuesday

Reaction Score
Don't know about the rest of you but I am looking forward to seeing Ollie in a setting other than a game. May give us an idea of whether it is lack of teaching by staff or lack of execution by players.

Also excited to check out Did and try to gauge his potential contributions next season.

Reaction Score
I hope some BY'ers go and take studious notes, and are ready to report back within the week.

This will be very enlightening. Just the same I also think it could be the most active Ollie is all year in practice, you know...because people are there to see.

Still, lets see what he is trying to teach the kids, how hard everyone works, etc.

Reaction Score
Yes, but will Ollie be his usual self in an open practice, or will he be different knowing people are in the stands? That's the question.

Reaction Score
I think maybe we need to hold back on the stupidity of thinking he doesn't coach hard or doesn't work hard in practice. Now "smart" or teaching I have no clue but to think he will put on a show just for a few people who wander in is ridiculous. Being a good coach and trying to be a good coach are 2 different things.

Reaction Score
I think maybe we need to hold back on the stupidity of thinking he doesn't coach hard or doesn't work hard in practice. Now "smart" or teaching I have no clue but to think he will put on a show just for a few people who wander in is ridiculous. Being a good coach and trying to be a good coach are 2 different things.[/QUOTE

Didn't you know the 2014 team coached themselves? So I am sure one of the walk_ons probably runs practice.

This is how stupid the average uconn fan is.

Reaction Score
I think maybe we need to hold back on the stupidity of thinking he doesn't coach hard or doesn't work hard in practice. Now "smart" or teaching I have no clue but to think he will put on a show just for a few people who wander in is ridiculous. Being a good coach and trying to be a good coach are 2 different things.
FWIW I've heard a lot of chatter about him showing up late and leaving early

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I just happen to be off from work that day. What time does practice start? And is it being held in Gampel or the practice facility?

Reaction Score
I just happen to be off from work that day. What time does practice start? And is it being held in Gampel or the practice facility?

100% in gampel. There no stands and limited room in the practice facility for spectators

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The thing is mau,there are so many fixable basic things that everyone from us here to commentators to opposing coaches can see and identify with this team that Ollie hasn’t figured out. That’s on him. Starting every game down 8-0 and not scoring til the 16:00 minute mark. That’s on him. Having obsurd substitution patterns. Him. Leaving players who make terrible mistakes out there. Him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Report back to the BY?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Don't know about the rest of you but I am looking forward to seeing Ollie in a setting other than a game. May give us an idea of whether it is lack of teaching by staff or lack of execution by players.

Also excited to check out Did and try to gauge his potential contributions next season.

After a Calhoun Cancer Walk and Ride event there was a great opportunity to see the 'skies for an open practice at Gampel. Saw a freshman Amida Brimah and was excited to see this kid.

There was no teaching. It was a shoot-around with some scrimmage in between. And the coach talked to the crowd for a bit.

Reaction Score
The thing is mau,there are so many fixable basic things that everyone from us here to commentators to opposing coaches can see and identify with this team that Ollie hasn’t figured out. That’s on him. Starting every game down 8-0 and not scoring til the 16:00 minute mark. That’s on him. Having obsurd substitution patterns. Him. Leaving players who make terrible mistakes out there. Him.

I understand my point though is not about his coaching abilities, it's about whether he is trying to coach in practice or show some enthusiasm. I'm just saying he's not suddenly going to run around screaming because a few fans show up. Now Mick says he comes late and leaves early, I don't know any of this so that I can't answer to. But I am sure he attempts to show some passion while at practice.

Whatever, it is what is at this point a downright shame.

Reaction Score
I feel like in the past, the whole open practice thing was supposed to be somewhat "fun" for the crowd. I wouldn't expect any hard hitting x's and o's (then again I don't expect that in a closed practice, ha.) They'll probably scrimmage and take it light.

I'd lose my ^&it if they start running half court weave drills and practice inbounds passes to the opposite backcourt.

Reaction Score
I was an assistant at a high school program in another state in which the head coach was very abusive to the players, so much so that he was fired for it. A local TV channel came in to tape a practice. This guy was a completely different guy for the segment. The kids were totally bewildered at what they saw. They hated the guy.

Reaction Score

If this is true... I don’t see blue running in those veins of his

Reaction Score

Great points. But like Coach Popovich has said time and time again, I don't remember seeing Coach Ollie on the floor playing. The effort has to come from the players. I don't remember seeing coach Ollie being down 8 points. The subbing patterns, I agree that's on him. However when a player steps on the court, they have to perform. This is D1 basketball. When players get these scholarships and put on that UConn uniform, there are expectations that have to be met. If they can't perform, they have to sit the bench or move to a different program.

As with us sideline coaches and announcers. We need to look at the big picture. We are quick to blame coach for not running players or subbing at odd times. Could we do better? Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know what is happening at practice. We don't know which players are struggling in practice or having some kind of success at practice. Naturally if a players is doing well in practice, the coaching staff are going to reward that player with more time on the floor.

But as far as I am concern, this is on the players to step up and perform at a D1 level.

Reaction Score
Great points. But like Coach Popovich has said time and time again, I don't remember seeing Coach Ollie on the floor playing. The effort has to come from the players. I don't remember seeing coach Ollie being down 8 points. The subbing patterns, I agree that's on him. However when a player steps on the court, they have to perform. This is D1 basketball. When players get these scholarships and put on that UConn uniform, there are expectations that have to be met. If they can't perform, they have to sit the bench or move to a different program.

As with us sideline coaches and announcers. We need to look at the big picture. We are quick to blame coach for not running players or subbing at odd times. Could we do better? Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know what is happening at practice. We don't know which players are struggling in practice or having some kind of success at practice. Naturally if a players is doing well in practice, the coaching staff are going to reward that player with more time on the floor.

But as far as I am concern, this is on the players to step up and perform at a D1 level.
Ollie recruits the players... If the players just aren't good and it has nothing to do with coaching than that is on him too.

Reaction Score
Dang. Lucky rascal. Attending an Open Practice session is fun, especially if the coach interacts with the public a little during practice. Coach Izzo allows the public to attend some of the Spartan practice sessions. Those are great!! So enjoy and have fun.

Reaction Score
Ollie recruits the players... If the players just aren't good and it has nothing to do with coaching than that is on him too.

I agree to a point. The recruiting is on the coaching staff in their eye for talent. However if they recruit these players, the players need to be in the gym getting up more shots, developing their skills, and being in the weight room. The players gotta have that desire to want to get better.

Reaction Score

You will say anything to support your agenda and fire up the “fire Ollie” troops won’t you ???

Back up your statements. You don’t need to come up with this BS. Ollie is doing a fine job hanging himself. No need to be fictitious. With not a stich of proof, you need attention so you make up a rumor?

Who is your source Mr. Insider ? A player or Coach at practice?

If I am wrong I will gladly apologize and give you credit.

Reaction Score
You will say anything to support your agenda and fire up the “fire Ollie” troops won’t you ???

Back up your statements. You don’t need to come up with this BS. Ollie is doing a fine job hanging himself. No need to be fictitious. With not a stich of proof, you need attention so you make up a rumor?

Who is your source Mr. Insider ? A player or Coach at practice?

If I am wrong I will gladly apologize and give you credit.
Your reading comprehension is extremely poor

Reaction Score
FWIW...Your attitude towards a team you are a “fan” of is poor...

No source? Yup thought so..
Oh go yourself. This is why the board loses posters like Zionn. I didn't say it was true or false, I said I've heard chatter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom