OT: - Open Championship | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Open Championship

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A lot of name players at +1 who've done well at recent majors but will need to put up some scores on back 9 to make the cut.

I'm personally rooting for Daly to hold it together for another 2 hours. Finally got to see him hit a tee shot and have to say I'm impressed at his age and weight that he can still bring the club head well past parallel and make that huge hip turn. I'd break in half attempting that.

My pick, Niemann, will make the cut but is going nowhere. Of course Ancer is playing well since I didn't pick him.

Reaction Score
His outfitter J Lindberg is famous for it. Swedish company

Reaction Score
I live in Pittsburgh, so Young's outfit is de rigeur for golf here.

Hovland's shirt was less appalling than yesterday. But if he wore pink pants with it, he'd be firmly in Jesper Parnevik territory.

I think the sweater would've been ok with black pants myself but that white look just isn't Scotland for me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Some very low numbers early. Kisner -7 thru 14. Also a -6 and -5s from guys still out there. If weather stays nice, probably looking at -24 or so for winning score tomorrow, blowing by Tiger's record of -19.

Reaction Score
Pretty amazing this morning one of the real early groups is Kevin Kisner and Trey Mullinax. They both made the cut in the number, even par. Kisner is -7 after 15 and Trey is -6 as well. That’s some really good golf but also tells you how easy this course can be without weather changing things. Could be record breaking of Stenson this weekend!

Reaction Score
Some very low numbers early. Kisner -7 thru 14. Also a -6 and -5s from guys still out there. If weather stays nice, probably looking at -24 or so for winning score tomorrow, blowing by Tiger's record of -19.
Without wind and rain this course is defenseless. Even the rough isn’t a penalty as it’s so dry. They are basically playing in a pasture.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think the sweater would've been ok with black pants myself but that white look just isn't Scotland for me.
Viktor is gonna have to dig deep today to beat Fritelli's quasi-tropical fashion statement.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Back 9 and a bit of wind definitely thinned out the field.

McIlroy and Hovland at -16.

Almost down to a four man finish tomorrow- McIlroy, Hovland and the Cams. Those at -11 and worse really need some breaks from the top 4 to have a chance.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Back 9 and a bit of wind definitely thinned out the field.

McIlroy and Hovland at -16.

Almost down to a four man finish tomorrow- McIlroy, Hovland and the Cams. Those at -11 and worse really need some breaks from the top 4 to have a chance.
Smith played the finishing holes like I did when I was going for a personal best late in the round: boneheaded.

Loved watching Rory & Viktor on the 17th though. More than any hole there, that's the one you remember. I shot a 9 there and it was the most glorious 9 of my life. Got to experience the whole thing - sliced one into the hotel grounds, played a crappy 3rd from tee far to left into thicker fescue than what's there today, punched one back to the "fairway", hit a 9-iron over the green onto the road, skulled one across green from the asphalt, chipped up, two putted. Only thing I missed was the Road bunker, but I'd been in a bunch of those already. Then parred the 18th. I highly recommend it :p

Reaction Score
Smith played the finishing holes like I did when I was going for a personal best late in the round: boneheaded.

Loved watching Rory & Viktor on the 17th though. More than any hole there, that's the one you remember. I shot a 9 there and it was the most glorious 9 of my life. Got to experience the whole thing - sliced one into the hotel grounds, played a crappy 3rd from tee far to left into thicker fescue than what's there today, punched one back to the "fairway", hit a 9-iron over the green onto the road, skulled one across green from the asphalt, chipped up, two putted. Only thing I missed was the Road bunker, but I'd been in a bunch of those already. Then parred the 18th. I highly recommend it :p
Hopefully you celebrated at the 19th Hole with a pint

Reaction Score

Does the hotel come into play from all the tees or only the champions tees?

And I’m really jealous

Reaction Score
FYI.. For Rory fans.. There's a great radio broadcast play-by-play call of his bunker shot for eagle on 10 floating around Internet.. And no.. I do not have the technical skill to create a link.. Pretty cool "call" by announcer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Does the hotel come into play from all the tees or only the champions tees?

And I’m really jealous
I was a last minute addition to an existing threesome so I just teed off from wherever they did. I don't recall if we played the equivalent of blue or white or if we even had that option (it was 25 years ago), but yeah, hotel was definitely in play from our tees. I'd say not the hotel itself, but unless you can hit a really long controlled fade like Vijay used to, you're hitting over the wall and a large part of grounds between the wall and building. IIRC, from our tees it was doable if you could fly a drive 200+ (w/o slicing). Obviously much farther for the pros.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was a last minute addition to an existing threesome so I just teed off from wherever they did. I don't recall if we played the equivalent of blue or white or if we even had that option (it was 25 years ago), but yeah, hotel was definitely in play from our tees. I'd say not the hotel itself, but unless you can hit a really long controlled fade like Vijay used to, you're hitting over the wall and a large part of grounds between the wall and building. IIRC, from our tees it was doable if you could fly a drive 200+ (w/o slicing). Obviously much farther for the pros.
30 years ago I could do that. Now? No chance. Age isn’t kind to golfers.

Hoping Rory can pull this off. Would be special.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Damn. An hour ago I figured Rory had this going away. Rory hasn't buckled, but Smith is playing unconscious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom