ONO Concedes She's Been Dogging It | The Boneyard

ONO Concedes She's Been Dogging It

Reaction Score
Well, that could be a little overstated :rolleyes: You be the judge.

Sir Rock of the Mount, another excellent find. Ono is a nice nice person who gives credit to Napheesa and KLS for teaching during the game. That's the important place: when a mistake is made instant feedback means more.
The improvement of Olivia Ododa Nelson is nothing short of amazing. Her post moves are pure CD (with a Precious bent), her defense is less about swatting that rebounding. For her critic's : Yea these are AAC games; but improvement is huge never the less. She played more than well against ND, USC, a bit against Louisville. God bless Geno for trusting her and CD for teaching her as ONO indicates she and they are working towards the NCAA run..
With Walker and Ms Williams turning corners I won't think FF or NC but my fingers are crossed.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sir Rock of the Mount, another excellent find. Ono is a nice nice person who gives credit to Napheesa and KLS for teaching during the game. That's the important place: when a mistake is made instant feedback means more.
The improvement of Olivia Ododa Nelson is nothing short of amazing. Her post moves are pure CD (with a Precious bent), her defense is less about swatting that rebounding. For her critic's : Yea these are AAC games; but improvement is huge never the less. She played more than well against ND, USC, a bit against Louisville. God bless Geno for trusting her and CD for teaching her as ONO indicates she and they are working towards the NCAA run..
With Walker and Ms Williams turning corners I won't think FF or NC but my fingers are crossed.
Crystal has post moves?

Reaction Score
Crystal has post moves?

I don't know where within my post I said or implied CW had post moves. But in viewing her under the basket as little as that may be---Yes CW has a Guards Post moves. She won't have to use them as long as ONO keeps improving and Precious and KLS hit the boards.

FYI--my only comment : With Walker and Ms Williams turning corners I won't think FF or NC but my fingers are crossed.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Crystal has post moves?

I could be over stepping here but I took the CD to refer to Coach Chris and not Crystal.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I could be over stepping here but I took the CD to refer to Coach Chris and not Crystal.
I thought so too. But B'way put that to bed with his second post. :oops:

Reaction Score
Crystal has post moves?
Begging your pardon---Reading (or writing) is fundamental. CD Crystal, got it after I was hit was a sledge hammer. Sorry, CD has been to me and always be Christine Dailey. Crystal is Danger--however, I read Crystal as Chrystn as in CW. Please accept a humble and feeling stupid apology.

Reaction Score

Dumb question - like she would say that the coach is wrong about her practice.

Only DT and Sveta could get away with that and if I'm not mistaken Sveta did. "I score; I don't need to play defense" (or words to that effect.

@Centerstream, @vtcwbuff---screwed up and combined. Just not my day.

Thanks---you hammered into my brain--what @NAN was saying. To me CD will always be Ms Dailey, Danger is Crystal Dangerfield. But that is no REAL excuse. I complain about people not reading properly--and I jumped into that hole, hook line and sinker. But thanks for thinking, as I do, CD is Ms Dailey

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Crystal has post moves?

Been trying to conjure what a combine Chris Dailey and Precious's fluid moves would look like together. Sort of like a combined DT and Stewie.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dumb question - like she would say that the coach is wrong about her practice.

Well, okay, I'll give you that. :oops: But I see her meaning it and besides you know me, and I'll take a laugh lob when it comes along. BTW big flocks of Canadian geese headed south here today. They didn't see their shadows though, so....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Crystal has post moves?

I know. I read it and read it and said what??? That's why the whole initials thing sometimes just confuses. I was sure if he meant Crystal that Broadway had finally cracked! :D

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I thought so too. But B'way put that to bed with his second post. :oops:
B'way's second post just made me more confused (which happens to me a lot here on the BY:rolleyes:) because the topic was now about CW (Christyn Williams) or so I thought.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
B'way's second post just made me more confused (which happens to me a lot here on the BY:rolleyes:) because the topic was now about CW (Christyn Williams) or so I thought.

I agree. See, we should have a BY Lexicon from which we should never wander on pain and pain of a penalty box time out of a major 5 minute penalty. @BostonCanuck could figure out the appropriate penalties and T Emery could program things so it's automatic and no appeal, no instant replay. Like CW is not CHristyn Williams. She's Okie Dokie. I hate acronyms!

Reaction Score
Only DT and Sveta could get away with that and if I'm not mistaken Sveta did. "I score; I don't need to play defense" (or words to that effect.

The comment I remember Geno attributing to Sveta was (I am para-phasing here) "I didn't come half way around the world to pass the ball".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn women’s notebook: Nelson-Ododa plays better than she practices

“Olivia’s just an odd duck, man,” coach Geno Auriemma said Wednesday following No. 3 UConn’s 102-45 takedown of Memphis at the XL Center. “She plays way better in games than she does in practice. I guess I’ve got to come to grips with that. I’ve got to live with that. Kara did that once.”

“We just need her to keep doing what she’s been doing, keep progressing,” forward Napheesa Collier said. “She can be such a force inside. She’s so tall. She’s really good at blocking.”

And some chuckles from Lou in there about Phee.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Good one Nan...
1550811048012.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am encouraged by the development of Olivia. If one throws in C. Williams and M.Walker to go along with the 3 more senior starters this team could go far into the NCAA. Far, could mean the NC.

I’ve been saying since November that ONO is going to slowly develop one day and one game at a time. We're all aware of the dynamics involved in her development going forward.

Throw in all of the plays, defensive assignments and spacing she has to learn, it can be a slow process.
Keep mind that some freshmen are playing real defense for the first time.

I really liked what I saw from ONO yesterday. I agree with other posters that ONO would benefit from a rigorous weight training regimen to increase her body strength. But if she doesn't, she’ll still be OK. She can play at this and the next level as is.

How, you ask? Two words: DeWanna Bonner. Bonner was a WNBA 1st round draft pick in 2009 out of Auburn who is now entering her 10th year in the league with the Phoenix Mercury. Bonner is 6’4” and weighs 143lbs.

1550903268889.png

Bonner is a league all star, and a 2 time champion with Phoenix in 2009 and 2014. Named to All-WNBA First team in 2015. It appears to this untrained eye that ONO weighs more than that. If Bonner can effectively play at her current weight, so can ONO. I will never make another reference to ONO’s weight or stature again.
ONO can only dream of having the success and longevity in professional basketball that Bonner is having.

Bottom line, if Bonner can play at the college and pro level at her current weight, so can ONO.
I understand that Bonner is not a post player. While I do expect ONO to continue on the team's weight training program, she’ll be OK either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom