ONO Concedes She's Been Dogging It | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ONO Concedes She's Been Dogging It

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Bonner could also shoot the 3 and didnt play in the post most of the time like Geno want ONO to do

Reaction Score
We have to remember that just because some posters make up and constantly use "cutesy" nicknames for players, the players rarely, if ever, use them. So we create our own confusion when trying to decipher who a player's talking about. I don't know about the rest of you, but makes me nuts. Dangerfield is probably the best example....she's Crystal Dangerfield, Danger, Guns, etc., depending on the poster. How about using names (including how the players refer to each other (Pheesa, Phee, Lou, etc)? Not that hard.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I could be over stepping here but I took the CD to refer to Coach Chris and not Crystal.

Maybe for future clarification, we should moniker Crystal as CDJr? :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's a potential solution to errors and misspelling of names: Take the JPM approach: #5. :D

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying since November that ONO is going to slowly develop one day and one game at a time. We're all aware of the dynamics involved in her development going forward.

Throw in all of the plays, defensive assignments and spacing she has to learn, it can be a slow process.
Keep mind that some freshmen are playing real defense for the first time.

I really liked what I saw from ONO yesterday. I agree with other posters that ONO would benefit from a rigorous weight training regimen to increase her body strength. But if she doesn't, she’ll still be OK. She can play at this and the next level as is.

How, you ask? Two words: DeWanna Bonner. Bonner was a WNBA 1st round draft pick in 2009 out of Auburn who is now entering her 10th year in the league with the Phoenix Mercury. Bonner is 6’4” and weighs 143lbs.

View attachment 40025

Bonner is a league all star, and a 2 time champion with Phoenix in 2009 and 2014. Named to All-WNBA First team in 2015. It appears to this untrained eye that ONO weighs more than that. If Bonner can effectively play at her current weight, so can ONO. I will never make another reference to ONO’s weight or stature again.
ONO can only dream of having the success and longevity in professional basketball that Bonner is having.

Bottom line, if Bonner can play at the college and pro level at her current weight, so can ONO.
I understand that Bonner is not a post player. While I do expect ONO to continue on the team's weight training program, she’ll be OK either way.
I saw upper arm muscles on ONO yesterday I had not noticed before. I think the weight training is being done. That development does not happen overnight; a slow process. I believe she is doing all that Geno or CD asks. The lazy practice player is a ploy Geno uses on all bigs and some guards. Whether it motivates depends on the player.

Reaction Score
Who is Precious?
Actually all that play or coach for Geno are PRECIOUS. However only ONE was named Precious at birth; that is Napheesa Collier, she has lived true to her name.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I saw upper arm muscles on ONO yesterday I had not noticed before. I think the weight training is being done. That development does not happen overnight; a slow process. I believe she is doing all that Geno or CD asks. The lazy practice player is a ploy Geno uses on all bigs and some guards. Whether it motivates depends on the player.
I don't think Geno was saying that ONO was "lazy" in practice, at least not exactly. He said that she didn't play with the same competitiveness / focus / aggression / intensity in practice that she showed in games, which is not QUITE the same thing.

There have been at least two times this season where she looked like she was ready to fight the player who was guarding her, which was surprising since she usually projects a calm disposition. I suspect that never happens in practice, even though Geno might like to see it.

I suspect that she works conscientiously in practice, but not with an edge, and an edge is what Geno wants to see (as he already sees in games).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom