only 20 mpg, yet climbing the big east stat leaders board. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

only 20 mpg, yet climbing the big east stat leaders board.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Gaffney was the one UConn player yesterday consistently taking crap from the UConn fan base, during what was a solid game. While Hawkins can go a half just killing us with turnovers and inability to make a shot, and AJ can do stupid things.

Our fan base puts way too much weight on recruiting rankings, and not enough on their eyes
That may be because they don't know what they are looking at

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had high hope for Gaff going in to this season and so far he has definitely been worse overall and worse in most games than I had hoped for him and for the team.

Beyond numbers, the #1 priority/job for a back up PG is to stay the course and keep the offense flowing while the starting PG can rest. The better the back up can do that in each game and throughout the season, the more fresh the starter is at end of games and come tourney time.

Oddest thing for me is how Gaff has regressed at FT and has consistently missed short on all his misses. He's having his worst season so far but he is getting to the line at a high rate for a 20 mpg back up PG.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
here's the defensive rating list,
1.Jack Nunge Xavier79.9
2.Andre Jackson UConn79.9
3.Colby Jones Xavier82.7
4.Isaiah Whaley UConn84.7
5.Jerome Hunter Xavier84.9
6.Kadary Richmond Seton Hall85.7
7.Dwon Odom Xavier85.9
8.Jared Rhoden Seton Hall86.1
9.Jalen Gaffney UConn87.0
10.Paul Scruggs Xavier87.2
11.Ty Groce Butler87.7
12.Javon Freeman-Liberty DePaul88.4
13.R.J. Cole UConn88.6
14.Tyrese Samuel Seton Hall89.1
15.David Jones DePaul89.7
16.Alexis Yetna Seton Hall90.3
17.Adam Kunkel Xavier90.6
18.Bryce Golden Butler91.1
19.Nate Johnson Xavier91.1
20.Bryce Aiken Seton Hall91.3

looks like they updated the leaderboard. now, mr gaffney is
third in the entire league for assist percentage, and also moved up in some other categories.
other blinding truths emerge from a closer examination of the stat leaders board;
1. mr nunge at xavier is puttting on some kind of show. his name is everywhere on it.
2. ajax is also beastin all over the charts.
3. rj is likewise, statistically, extra-special.
winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. these dudes have helped to turn us into winners. good on them, good for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
He just seems unsure of himself more often than not. Hard to get more minutes as a guard if you don't exude confidence.

There's an old saying about statistics but, in JG's case, every now and then he'll drive to the basket and score or make a long three or a nice pass, so it must be hard for DH to know when and how much to use him. He's getting more time with Martin out but hasn't done as much as we'd normally expect for a three year player getting that many minutes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wish Gaffney could handle pressure better. He's our best passer and can't take advantage of it often because he can't handle consistent pg duties. I like him a lot as our off guard with Cole. But he needs to shoot better against good teams before he can take over the primary off guard role. Martin coming back will make it even harder for him.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
u know who. let's review, shall we?
20th in steals.
16th in defensive win shares
14th in defensive box plus/minus
14th in assists per game
13th in free throw percentage
13th in win share per 40
11th in made free throws
11th in free throw attempts
11th in steal percentage
9th in total assists
9th in defensive rating
5th in assist percentage.
for the entire league.

only 20 minutes per game, yet yesterday showed that it will be going up.
garuntee.
i find it hilarious that some here can't comprehend that, not next april ('22), nor the april after that ('23), but at the april in 2024 (!) he could be leading us into the ncaa tourney.
the man will be tearing up the UConn record for games played if he stays.
65 games in, he hasn't missed one, to my recollection. sweet.
I love Gaffney. Take the good with the duh!!! Excellent motor and heart.

Reaction Score
u know who. let's review, shall we?
20th in steals.
16th in defensive win shares
14th in defensive box plus/minus
14th in assists per game
13th in free throw percentage
13th in win share per 40
11th in made free throws
11th in free throw attempts
11th in steal percentage
9th in total assists
9th in defensive rating
5th in assist percentage.
for the entire league.

only 20 minutes per game, yet yesterday showed that it will be going up.
garuntee.
i find it hilarious that some here can't comprehend that, not next april ('22), nor the april after that ('23), but at the april in 2024 (!) he could be leading us into the ncaa tourney.
the man will be tearing up the UConn record for games played if he stays.
65 games in, he hasn't missed one, to my recollection. sweet.
He has shown limited to no improvement year after year. My emotional status moves zero when I see him check in. Strange post/thread. Hopefully he can have a strong rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was the one UConn player yesterday consistently taking crap from the UConn fan base, during what was a solid game. While Hawkins can go a half just killing us with turnovers and inability to make a shot, and AJ can do stupid things.

Our fan base puts way too much weight on recruiting rankings, and not enough on their eyes
Cool, he lead the team in TOs, had the lowest offensive efficiency rating the team, and continued his stellar 3 point shooting by going 0-4 (has had 1 game in the last 7 where he made a 3 pter).

If you think he was solid you need better eyes.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The skills are there for Gaffney. He just needs to find his confidence consistently to be a very good guard on this team.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Numbers don't seem to matter to people. Gaff has doubled his assists/game without increasing hit TO's per game playing about the same number of minutes. His assist/TO ration this season is 2.5:1.

His shooting percentages are down a little but not much. He's having a good season and still showing improvement. He's not Napier and that's what people are judging him on. If he becomes Talik Brown by the time he graduates, no one should complain, we have other weapons.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Numbers don't seem to matter to people. Gaff has doubled his assists/game without increasing hit TO's per game playing about the same number of minutes. His assist/TO ration this season is 2.5:1.

His shooting percentages are down a little but not much. He's having a good season and still showing improvement. He's not Napier and that's what people are judging him on. If he becomes Talik Brown by the time he graduates, no one should complain, we have other weapons.
In our non-cupcake games Gaffney is 7-25 fg, 0-10 on threes, 12 assists, 10 turnovers.

Gaffney was 2-9 yesterday with 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 turnovers, 0 steals, 0 blocks in 30 minutes. He was being criticized because he wasn't playing well and hasn't played well in any of the non-cupcake games. The late driving NBA and 1 was great as was the 5-5 ft's but the criticism is warranted. He hasn't been good and he's a junior.
Yes, figures don't lie, but...well, let's just say context matters.

Taliek Brown was a starting point guard for four years. We are in trouble if Gaffney is ever ours; that would be cause for complaint.

And I will own the fact that I was brutal on Taliek, and still remember that he almost cost us the 2004 semi-final win over Duke by dribbling off his toe down the stretch. But he was a serviceable point guard on a Championship team. If you think Gaffney is you are ignoring more than numbers.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Well, based on what they tell us about everything else, our fan base must have the highest basketball IQ in the universe

Although in fairness to our fanbase and ourselves, this phenomenon is found among every fan base in the world. It's the internet, the WWW, social media and wokeness

Everybody has a voice now.

willie99

Reaction Score
Granted we are not like Calhoun teams put them away but nonetheless, we struggled to beat UMES and the Bonnies were ranked this season. Just sayin'.

@ClifSpliffy

There is no bigger fan of my avatar than me. I love everything about Jim Calhoun, and I learned exactly what to expect.

But no, he didn't always blow teams out, especially early in the year. And he received tons of criticism from fans.

In the 90's he couldn't win the big one. If we ever wanted to win a national championship, we needed a different coach.

After 99, he couldn't recruit (he did have one really bad year)

After 04, the game passed him by, he doesn't connect with players anymore

He yells too much, he pulls kids to quickly, he's ruining kids, he's destroying their confidence .... on and on into infinity and beyond

As for me, I wouldn't change a single thing about him, and my position never waivered

We need to enjoy the ride, there will be bumps in the road and that's OK

willie99

Reaction Score
Look at Geno, we have fans saying he's quitting on this team or he can't coach anymore or he doesn't relate to kids anymore

MediocreBothHyena-size_restricted.gif

Reaction Score
here's the defensive rating list,
1.Jack Nunge Xavier79.9
2.Andre Jackson UConn79.9
3.Colby Jones Xavier82.7
4.Isaiah Whaley UConn84.7
5.Jerome Hunter Xavier84.9
6.Kadary Richmond Seton Hall85.7
7.Dwon Odom Xavier85.9
8.Jared Rhoden Seton Hall86.1
9.Jalen Gaffney UConn87.0
10.Paul Scruggs Xavier87.2
11.Ty Groce Butler87.7
12.Javon Freeman-Liberty DePaul88.4
13.R.J. Cole UConn88.6
14.Tyrese Samuel Seton Hall89.1
15.David Jones DePaul89.7
16.Alexis Yetna Seton Hall90.3
17.Adam Kunkel Xavier90.6
18.Bryce Golden Butler91.1
19.Nate Johnson Xavier91.1
20.Bryce Aiken Seton Hall91.3

looks like they updated the leaderboard. now, mr gaffney is
third in the entire league for assist percentage, and also moved up in some other categories.
other blinding truths emerge from a closer examination of the stat leaders board;
1. mr nunge at xavier is puttting on some kind of show. his name is everywhere on it.
2. ajax is also beastin all over the charts.
3. rj is likewise, statistically, extra-special.
winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. these dudes have helped to turn us into winners. good on them, good for us.

Want to see how they come up with these numbers? I mean if constantly getting beat off the dribble is good D then wow. I mean he’s not close to RJ and yet somehow this formula shows otherwise :eek:... oh well learn something all the time.

Reaction Score
Awesome. No denying, he’s been a big factor. Love it when he and Diggins are on the court together while giving Cole a rest.

Reaction Score
Want to see how they come up with these numbers? I mean if constantly getting beat off the dribble is good D then wow. I mean he’s not close to RJ and yet somehow this formula shows otherwise :eek:... oh well learn something all the time.
Based on these numbers. Looks like Xavier's guys are bringing the D this year. Well-represented on this list.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Based on these numbers. Looks like Xavier's guys are bringing the D this year. Well-represented on this list.
yeppers, this d ratings list is filled by three teams:
us, x, and seton hall.
absent injury, this is prolly the group at the top at the end of the season.
d travels well.

Reaction Score
Gaffney- 0 points, 2 assists, 1 rebound, 3 turnovers.

In non-cupcake games this season Gaffney's stats- 7-28 fg, 0-10 three pointers, 14 assists, 13 turnovers.
It’s time to give Rashool a chance. There is no way he could play worse than Gaffney. I’ve been a Gaffney supporter but I’m off that train. Seen enough.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Gaffney- 0 points, 2 assists, 1 rebound, 3 turnovers.

In non-cupcake games this season Gaffney's stats- 7-28 fg, 0-10 three pointers, 14 assists, 13 turnovers.

Not a high D1 talent. Plays well against bad competition, but doesn't show up against good competition with athletic guards... outside of a random decent shooting night here or there.

I haven't seen his "under-rated athleticism", only poor ball handling and no BBIQ.

Diggins needs some run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom