only 20 mpg, yet climbing the big east stat leaders board. | The Boneyard

only 20 mpg, yet climbing the big east stat leaders board.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
u know who. let's review, shall we?
20th in steals.
16th in defensive win shares
14th in defensive box plus/minus
14th in assists per game
13th in free throw percentage
13th in win share per 40
11th in made free throws
11th in free throw attempts
11th in steal percentage
9th in total assists
9th in defensive rating
5th in assist percentage.
for the entire league.

only 20 minutes per game, yet yesterday showed that it will be going up.
garuntee.
i find it hilarious that some here can't comprehend that, not next april ('22), nor the april after that ('23), but at the april in 2024 (!) he could be leading us into the ncaa tourney.
the man will be tearing up the UConn record for games played if he stays.
65 games in, he hasn't missed one, to my recollection. sweet.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was the one UConn player yesterday consistently taking crap from the UConn fan base, during what was a solid game. While Hawkins can go a half just killing us with turnovers and inability to make a shot, and AJ can do stupid things.

Our fan base puts way too much weight on recruiting rankings, and not enough on their eyes

Reaction Score
Gaffney was the one UConn player yesterday consistently taking crap from the UConn fan base, during what was a solid game. While Hawkins can go a half just killing us with turnovers and inability to make a shot, and AJ can do stupid things.

Our fan base puts way too much weight on recruiting rankings, and not enough on their eyes
Gaff was solid yesterday as a secondary ball handler and as a primary when Cole was catching a breather. Quietly efficient yesterday when we needed him. Also seemed a little more focused on D

Reaction Score
would be very happy if gaff came back for a super senior season. even if we lose hawk, sanogo and aj by then we'd be very good, not to mention the monster recruiting class headlined by castle

digg (jr)
gaff (ssr)
karaban (so)
samson (jr)
clingan (so)

Reaction Score
20th in steals.
14th in assists per game
13th in win share per 40
11th in made free throws
11th in steal percentage
9th in total assists
9th in defensive rating
for the entire league.

garuntee.
i find it hilarious that some here can't comprehend that, not next april ('22), nor the april after that ('23), but at the april in 2024 (!) he could be leading us into the ncaa tourney.
I'm a Gaff guy. Thought he was going to win the Cole/Gaff battle last year. I was wrong last year. Even wronger this year.

At this point the issue with Gaff is his lack of development. Yes, he's a moderately good backup. But he should be more than that as a junior.

Again, I'm a Gaff guy. But he needs to do more given his experience level.

Reaction Score
Gaffney has skills, showed me last year. Essential to team success. He can shoot better than he has.

Reaction Score
I'm a Gaff guy. Thought he was going to win the Cole/Gaff battle last year. I was wrong last year. Even wronger this year.

At this point the issue with Gaff is his lack of development. Yes, he's a moderately good backup. But he should be more than that as a junior.

Again, I'm a Gaff guy. But he needs to do more given his experience level.
This is spot on. He shows potential every once in a while, but he also shows head scratching play as well. Yesterday he was solid for a back up no issues with what he brought for who he is. Just wished he brought it all the time and found a way to be more consistent. He even got screwed on 2 fouls called his way that should’ve been on 5.

9th in defensive rating? Dying to see how they come up with that number. Polley’s probably 10th then lol.

Reaction Score
20th in steals.
14th in assists per game
13th in win share per 40
11th in made free throws
11th in steal percentage
9th in total assists
9th in defensive rating
for the entire league.

garuntee.
In our non-cupcake games Gaffney is 7-25 fg, 0-10 on threes, 12 assists, 10 turnovers.

Reaction Score

Gaffney was 2-9 yesterday with 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 turnovers, 0 steals, 0 blocks in 30 minutes. He was being criticized because he wasn't playing well and hasn't played well in any of the non-cupcake games. The late driving NBA and 1 was great as was the 5-5 ft's but the criticism is warranted. He hasn't been good and he's a junior.

Reaction Score
Gaff is an ok backup just expected that by his Jr. year would have been more than shown so far.

Not sure I ever see him as the lead PG for UConn, we'll see what the rest of the season holds.

He had an ok game against the Bonnies but 2-9, 0-4 from 3, 3 turnovers, 4 assists was not all that good honestly. He makes his free throws I'll give him that, but his overall stats for the season are inflated against the 6 cupcakes.

In our 5 legit games so far this year he's 0-10 from 3 with 12 assists & 10 turnovers.

Reaction Score
This is spot on. He shows potential every once in a while, but he also shows head scratching play as well. Yesterday he was solid for a back up no issues with what he brought for who he is. Just wished he brought it all the time and found a way to be more consistent. He even got screwed on 2 fouls called his way that should’ve been on 5.

9th in defensive rating? Dying to see how they come up with that number. Polley’s probably 10th then lol.
A follow up on my point. Ignore Gaff's stats. Continue to simply compare Gaff and Cole. In November 2020 you could make some kind of argument for Gaff over Cole. Maybe not statistically. I think Cole always had an edge on Gaff statistically. But you could look at Gaff and make the argument that he was a better athlete. In the long run he'd be better than Cole. Gaff is still a better athlete, but that argument is absolutely gone.

In roughly a year Cole has improved on all his weaknesses. Cole still has weaknesses, but he has either reduced them or found ways to stay out of situations to expose those weaknesses. Gaff has improved as well, but it's much harder to see.

I'm worried that next year we will be watching Gaff get jumped by Diggins.

Reaction Score
Gaff is an ok backup just expected that by his Jr. year would have been more than shown so far.

Not sure I ever see him as the lead PG for UConn, we'll see what the rest of the season holds.

He had an ok game against the Bonnies but 2-9, 0-4 from 3, 3 turnovers, 4 assists was not all that good honestly. He makes his free throws I'll give him that, but his overall stats for the season are inflated against the 6 cupcakes.

In our 5 legit games so far this year he's 0-10 from 3 with 12 assists & 10 turnovers.

Agreed. I think he's actually taken a step backwards this year...but a ton of season left for him to get it going.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was 2-9 yesterday with 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 turnovers, 0 steals, 0 blocks in 30 minutes. He was being criticized because he wasn't playing well and hasn't played well in any of the non-cupcake games. The late driving NBA and 1 was great as was the 5-5 ft's but the criticism is warranted. He hasn't been good and he's a junior.
And a monster three point play, down the stretch, when our lead was in jeopardy.

Reaction Score

I gave you a like but I do have to question why you included AJ in the same breath with Hawkins horrendous 1st half. AJ played one of his better games yesterday. Does he turn the ball over a bit? Yes, but he does so many other different things well. Shooting is not one of them yet. Lol

Reaction Score
I gave you a like but I do have to question why you included AJ in the same breath with Hawkins horrendous 1st half. AJ played one of his better games yesterday.

He did. But there were at least two instances where he refused to make an easy pass, and instead tried to make a spectacular one. One led to a turnover and one luckily didn't but might have. The point wasn't to knock AJ -- just making the point that people don't want to reward solid -- not losing your man, not missing free throws and not making uncontested turnovers. Instead, we want spectacular. UConn has won a lot of games and championships with solid.

Reaction Score
He did. But there were at least two instances where he refused to make an easy pass, and instead tried to make a spectacular one. One led to a turnover and one luckily didn't but might have. The point wasn't to knock AJ -- just making the point that people don't want to reward solid -- not losing your man, not missing free throws and not making uncontested turnovers. Instead, we want spectacular. UConn has won a lot of games and championships with solid.
That should come by tournament time. We have plenty of time till then to improve. Baring any major injuries.

Reaction Score
That should come by tournament time. We have plenty of time till then to improve. Baring any major injuries.

I agree that AJ both should and is likely to keep improving. I'm less concerned that he be willing to take 3s than I am that he has to be willing to take his share of shots. He's at all times either guarded by someone significantly smaller than him, without the hops, or slower than him if his size. Take bigger guys off the dribble. Post up smaller guys. If he wants to play close to 30 minutes, find ways to average close to 10 a game. LIke the way Gaffney found a way to get to 9 yesterday without being able to hit a jumper.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And a monster three point play, down the stretch, when our lead was in jeopardy.
Yes, which I mentioned and he made his 5 ft's but we don't have to pretend he's been good in these games. Hopefully he starts playing better, he has the talent and experience to do so.

Reaction Score
20th in steals.
14th in assists per game
13th in win share per 40
11th in made free throws
11th in steal percentage
9th in total assists
9th in defensive rating
for the entire league.

garuntee.
B please! He had a decent game yet again against a mid major. Woopite frikken doo!

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
My one complaint about Jalen is the untimely turnovers. But I agree that he does a lot of positive things that seem to go unnoticed.

Reaction Score
I think the one thing he doesn't get credit for sometimes, is he's good for getting teammates an easy bucket a few times a game in the half-court offense. Should have had another one but Akok couldn't handle the pass so it became a turnover for Gaff instead of an assist.

I think he is sometimes hurt by UConn's size. He is much better in space.

I like Gaff a lot, but he's playing PG a lot which comes with more scrutiny. To compare what he is right now, he's the shortstop that makes the play that makes your jaw drop, but way too many times throws the ball into the stands on the routine play. He has to be able to feed the post consistently and make the basic play more often. As good as the 3-pt play was, he has to make the basic plays/passes more consistently.

Reaction Score
I think the one thing he doesn't get credit for sometimes, is he's good for getting teammates an easy bucket a few times a game in the half-court offense. Should have had another one but Akok couldn't handle the pass so it became a turnover for Gaff instead of an assist.

I think he is sometimes hurt by UConn's size. He is much better in space.

I like Gaff a lot, but he's playing PG a lot which comes with more scrutiny. To compare what he is right now, he's the shortstop that makes the play that makes your jaw drop, but way too many times throws the ball into the stands on the routine play. He has to be able to feed the post consistently and make the basic play more often. As good as the 3-pt play was, he has to make the basic plays/passes more consistently.

I hear you. But he's friggin Mark Belanger compared to AJ or Hawkins with the ball.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

Not true. I’ve been singing his praises for a while now. I was wrong, but I was calling for him to start over Cole last year. Your takes have been off today. I’ll give you a day pass.

Reaction Score
Not true. I’ve been singing his praises for a while now. I was wrong, but I was calling for him to start over Cole last year. Your takes have been off today. I’ll give you a day pass.
??? I’m confused. When I say the fan base, you hear you? I heard at least 4 or 5 different people at the game yesterday yelling for Gaffney to come out. Unless you’re telling me I didn’t hear that.

Reaction Score
Best thread title I have seen on the Yard in a long time. So true in so many ways and truly a measure of how we are climbing.

I think I may have just seen us pull (if not put) away a fighting back team against the Bonnie's. We had Auburn near screwed but let them back in IMO. We may have done so before under Hurley but struggled and this one seemed to be a bit more of a little team statement if anything else. Perhaps it was timed by the coaches to ramp us up for BE play. Dunno.

Granted we are not like Calhoun teams put them away but nonetheless, we struggled to beat UMES and the Bonnies were ranked this season. Just sayin'.

Edit: Thanks for the great and inviting thread post @ClifSpliffy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom