One word to describe this year's team... | The Boneyard

One word to describe this year's team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Awkward

This team overall (and some players more than others) is simply awkward in many ways.

Guards can't dribble:

As Boat said (referring to other guys not being able to dribble) "this is D-1." How do guards at this level not have a solid handle. Every time Purvis, Tsam, and Omar put the ball on the hardwood you hold your breath hoping they are not going to turn it over. All three look awkward every time they drive in because they have no solid control over the ball.

Guards can't make layup:

Once again every time Purvis, Calhoun and TSam drive to the hoop it almost feels like a miracle when they successfully make a layup, and every step of the way they look extremely awkward driving in. In the game against Memphis not only did Purvis blow a wide open layup he didn't even touch rim from two feet away!!! And the worst part was that I was not even surprised by it.

Purvis' Free throws:

How does a McD guard shoot 50% from the free throw line?

TSam's shot:

Hasn't made one 3 pointer this whole season...wow. Not only does he miss but on most of his shots you can tell right away it has no shot of going in. His form is extremely ugly.

Brimah's inability to stay on his feet:

If falling on the ground was a statistical category Brimah would get a double double (if not a triple double if he gets more than 10 boards) every game. How fitting was the image of Brimah once again falling on his knees as Boat missed the last second game winning shot the other day.

Dham's shot fakes:

I don't understand why he does it every time. He also does it way to quick and effectively never has the defender bite. He needs to use it more seldom so the defender actually thinks he is going to go for the shot, and needs to slow down the motion.

Phil Nolan's Tap outs:

I actually love that he does it and its effective most of the time, but it still is awkward to do, just adding it to the list.

Boat's inability to get to the free throw line:

I am amazed that the best player in the conference, who has amazing handle, quickness and leaping ability, in this new era of college ball where defenders are allowed less contact while defending, gets to the line so few times as Boat. Both Kemba and Bazz lived and thrived off the free throw line. Boat is shooting at a great rate of 85% but he doesn't attack the the rim too often and has been over relying on his 3 point shot of late. He still needs to master shifting gears while driving in and going into the defender's body to force the refs to blow the whistle. Most of the time when Boat does get to the line its often at the end of the games where opposing teams are trying to stop the clock. There have been a couple of games in which Boat shot 0 yes 0 free throws that should never happen.

Conclusion:

Yes this team is very awkward for a D-1 blue blood national powerhouse, but I think as fans we should just embrace it. I will give credit to this team for playing their hearts out, led by Boat the warrior. With this team I will learn to expect blown layups and cheer wildly when they convert. I will embrace Brimah falling down at least 10 times a game (and hope he unintentionally and awkwardly ends up body slamming a few opponents along the way much like he did against Memphis). I hope Nolan masters the art of tapping the ball out on rebounds like he has mastered taking charges (I actually really like Nolan and I think he will continue to improve for the remaining part of the season, he has good form on his shot, good size, and quick feet, plays very good defense).

Every game they play will be very exciting because they have the ability to lose to a Houston and at the same beat a team like SMU. Lets hope they can awkwardly get themselves to win the AAC tournament and get back to the big dance.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
my one word would be "indescribable"

BTW: you used too many words

Reaction Score
Embarrassing. Maybe we can get our girls to play our tournament. Worst team in 25 years.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I was gonna say Sucky.....

Reaction Score
Outscored by 20+ in the 2nd half to a marginal Temple team.

I give all the credit in the world to the people on here who tune into the AAC Tourney.

Reaction Score
This team just isn't good, both results wise and talent wise. Tsam is a guard that can't shoot or dribble. Purvis has a good game once in awhile but his MO is bonehead mistake after bonehead mistake. Calhoun can't create a shot for himself and can't play d. Nolan is Nolan. Facey looks like he's having an out of
body experience when he's on the court now.

None of that really bothers me when I think about this year. We won it all last year, we lost a lot of talent, these kind of things happen. It does bother me when I think about our future as a program. Whether we like it or not,
being in the AAC means the leash is that much shorter in terms of making sure we don't have down years- which, consequently, means recruiting and developing talent isthat much more important.

Assuming the best for next year means believimg that Adams comes in at the same level of boat and Enoch gives us solid comtributions. The problem is- who on our team is going to improve? Who has over the course of this season? DHam, definitely, and I think he'll be even better next year. Brimah has gotten a bit better on defense but still is almost nonexistent on offense. Do we honestly believe TSam will develop a shot? That Calhoun will suddenly become a playmaker? That facey will make a huge jump?

I fear we don't have the talent we need currently on the team and I don't think we're bringing in nearly enough of it this recruiting class (which should have been the best situation to do it- fresh off the championship, new facility, etc). That puts a ton of pressure on the class of 2016

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'll give you a phrase:

The whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Likely AAC player of the year
likely AAC rookie of the year
Likely AAC defensive player of the year

Yet that equals sixth place in this crap conference?

We are just a bad team, no glue or consistency in players being able to count on each other.

Poor Boat

Reaction Score
disappointing
This is based on expectations. Koolaid was the drink of choice on this message board, and we all kept going back to the well to drink. This team did not change or more accurately did not improve like their counterparts.

As for me this season was based on always hoping they would turn the corner, but that never happened.

If there is one word to describe this team its "BOAT", and not in a negative sense. That's how I choose to remember them, do think otherwise would be too depressing, like this thread will soon become.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Lazy.

Effort on defense.
Effort on the glass.
Effort to improve in practice.

The only thing to improve over the season is FT shooting and Hamilton's confidence. Neither of those things require a ton of effort.

Reaction Score
Hapless.

I would also say "resourceful" in that they were able to secure scholarships at an elite hoops school and we as fans, are punished for it.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I'll give you a phrase:

We are just a bad team, no glue or consistency in players being able to count on each other

Good points...... So does that mean it's a Coaching failure? I've been so baffled by this season man, I just don't get it

Reaction Score
This is based on expectations. Koolaid was the drink of choice on this message board, and we all kept going back to the well to drink. This team did not change or more accurately did not improve like their counterparts.

As for me this season was based on always hoping they would turn the corner, but that never happened.

If there is one word to describe this team its "BOAT", and not in a negative sense. That's how I choose to remember them, do think otherwise would be too depressing, like this thread will soon become.
That they didn't change or improve is why they are so disappointing

Reaction Score

The answer is that the parts surrounding the AAC POY, ROY, and DPOY* are abysmal. Coaching hasn't been great, but there's only so much you can do with low-major talent.

* I'll add that even though he's likely to win DPOY, Brimah's defense is overrated. He blocks shots, but his positioning, his rebounding, his fouling, and his knack for when to go for the block vs. when to play solid defense, are lacking. And he doesn't add much on offense. So it's really two great pieces, one decent piece, and a whole lot of filler.

Reaction Score
Anything past "bad" is wasting space.

Forget anything about this team being able to play with good teams - they can't.

Sometimes the answer is so obvious that it is painful. This isn't a good team and I almost feel like it will take more than one more season for us to feel really good again. By that I mean that I am already not expecting much to be different next year and I can't ever remember feeling like that before.

Reaction Score
One word that describes this team is inconsistent. Too up and down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom