One word to describe this year's team... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One word to describe this year's team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's a different between "embracing" it and not throwing temper tantrums on a message board.
You should learn to embrace my posts instead of throwing temper tantrums after every time I post.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You should learn to embrace my posts instead of throwing temper tantrums after every time I post.

You want me to embrace your bellyaching and calling for the coach to be fired midseason? Fat chance.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Outscored by 20+ in the 2nd half to a marginal Temple team.

I give all the credit in the world to the people on here who tune into the AAC Tourney.

There's a loyal fan - tune out
Seems like you already have done that
But thanks for the credit, I'll always tune in, probably not liking the product or results, but I'll always tune in
That's what loyal fans do - they don't close their eyes when things get tough

Reaction Score
Inconsistent
We have the talent to compete with just about anybody; just not on most nights.

Reaction Score
Hesitant..it's mind bending how many open looks we pass up

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
uncharacteristic

Reaction Score
Awkward

This team overall (and some players more than others) is simply awkward in many ways.

Guards can't dribble:

As Boat said (referring to other guys not being able to dribble) "this is D-1." How do guards at this level not have a solid handle. Every time Purvis, Tsam, and Omar put the ball on the hardwood you hold your breath hoping they are not going to turn it over. All three look awkward every time they drive in because they have no solid control over the ball.

Guards can't make layup:

Once again every time Purvis, Calhoun and TSam drive to the hoop it almost feels like a miracle when they successfully make a layup, and every step of the way they look extremely awkward driving in. In the game against Memphis not only did Purvis blow a wide open layup he didn't even touch rim from two feet away!!! And the worst part was that I was not even surprised by it.

Purvis' Free throws:

How does a McD guard shoot 50% from the free throw line?

TSam's shot:

Hasn't made one 3 pointer this whole season...wow. Not only does he miss but on most of his shots you can tell right away it has no shot of going in. His form is extremely ugly.

Brimah's inability to stay on his feet:

If falling on the ground was a statistical category Brimah would get a double double (if not a triple double if he gets more than 10 boards) every game. How fitting was the image of Brimah once again falling on his knees as Boat missed the last second game winning shot the other day.

Dham's shot fakes:

I don't understand why he does it every time. He also does it way to quick and effectively never has the defender bite. He needs to use it more seldom so the defender actually thinks he is going to go for the shot, and needs to slow down the motion.

Phil Nolan's Tap outs:

I actually love that he does it and its effective most of the time, but it still is awkward to do, just adding it to the list.

Boat's inability to get to the free throw line:

I am amazed that the best player in the conference, who has amazing handle, quickness and leaping ability, in this new era of college ball where defenders are allowed less contact while defending, gets to the line so few times as Boat. Both Kemba and Bazz lived and thrived off the free throw line. Boat is shooting at a great rate of 85% but he doesn't attack the the rim too often and has been over relying on his 3 point shot of late. He still needs to master shifting gears while driving in and going into the defender's body to force the refs to blow the whistle. Most of the time when Boat does get to the line its often at the end of the games where opposing teams are trying to stop the clock. There have been a couple of games in which Boat shot 0 yes 0 free throws that should never happen.

Conclusion:

Yes this team is very awkward for a D-1 blue blood national powerhouse, but I think as fans we should just embrace it. I will give credit to this team for playing their hearts out, led by Boat the warrior. With this team I will learn to expect blown layups and cheer wildly when they convert. I will embrace Brimah falling down at least 10 times a game (and hope he unintentionally and awkwardly ends up body slamming a few opponents along the way much like he did against Memphis). I hope Nolan masters the art of tapping the ball out on rebounds like he has mastered taking charges (I actually really like Nolan and I think he will continue to improve for the remaining part of the season, he has good form on his shot, good size, and quick feet, plays very good defense).

Every game they play will be very exciting because they have the ability to lose to a Houston and at the same beat a team like SMU. Lets hope they can awkwardly get themselves to win the AAC tournament and get back to the big dance.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pissyfansexpectadominantteameveryfingyear.fourtitlesinfifteenyearsisntenough?

- Jim Calhoun

I agree with Jim, but he's missing the point. Forget the record, I seriously doubt he would have stood for this year's effort. As much as I think JC wouldn't have won the title with last year's team, I think he would have made the tournament with this years team.

Reaction Score
I'll give you a phrase:

The whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Likely AAC player of the year
likely AAC rookie of the year
Likely AAC defensive player of the year

Yet that equals sixth place in this crap conference?

We are just a bad team, no glue or consistency in players being able to count on each other.

Poor Boat
Dis-synergy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member