One problem with the new format: Anyone agree? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One problem with the new format: Anyone agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
for the woefully computer illiterate, what is "tapatalk"? sounds a bit like the Spanish version of "appetizers"...
An "app" for your tablet or smart phone to interact with the forum.

Reaction Score
I stopped viewing the forum on my tablets because i couldn't read who started the thread or in even a lighter font, how old it was..it's much easier on a desktop on the eyes..but still could be better... I use firefox on the desk..BTW, I'm still looking for a quote button...:)
It defaults to quote if you simply hit "reply".

Reaction Score
Throughout the format "secondary information" is presented in a very small font, and a very soft gray color.

For me (and I have 20-20 vision) both are barely readable. The low contrast (pale gray) color is the biggest problem. I have to concentrate and focus very hard to read the text.

A small increase in font size, and a substantial increase in the color contrast would make the site much more readable. For me, a lot of the stuff that is small and pale is of basic interest on every post. What is the purpose of almost "hiding" this information?
I assume this problem could be corrected with a few clicks of a mouse by the site designers.

Comments by other readers are welcome.

Thanks, OC

This site overall is not nearly as good as the old boneyard, color contrast is really bad. jmo

C

crownfox2

I'm sorry but I too am challenged by the small font size and the faint contrast. TIME magazine has done the same thing and I'm ready to scream. Why? Is everybody saving on ink?

Reaction Score
I like the new format it works great with my pc. I just tried it with an ipad and when I logged in all I got was one posting, regarding this years season. The next posting was yesterdays.
Anyone else have a problem with the ipad and this forum?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
tapatalk is new to me but I'll check it out... thanks

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
ERIC--

Regarding selecting a font:

I thought I had answered you already - sorry!

Where it says "Font Family" press the "down button" and there is a selection of lots of good typefaces. What I do is just compose my post first in the "format" type face - Times Roman - and then swipe over it when I am finished, selecting my composed text ("blue it in"), and then select my type face (Ariel) and voila!

There are probably other ways to accomplish this same function, but I have always just experimented with stuff on the computyer and just figured out my own way of doing things.:)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ERIC--

Regarding selecting a font:

I thought I had answered you already - sorry!

Where it says "Font Family" press the "down button" and there is a selection of lots of good typefaces. What I do is just compose my post first in the "format" type face - Times Roman - and then swipe over it when I am finished, selecting my composed text ("blue it in"), and then select my type face (Ariel) and voila!

There are probably other ways to accomplish this same function, but I have always just experimented with stuff on the computyer and just figured out my own way of doing things.:)
So you basically have to make the change every time as the default font is the Times New Roman? makes sense. i was wondering if there was a way to "save" your preferred font permanently. sorry - this should probably be in a different forum (questions, etc) but here we are!! thanks...!

Reaction Score
Throughout the format "secondary information" is presented in a very small font, and a very soft gray color.

For me (and I have 20-20 vision) both are barely readable. The low contrast (pale gray) color is the biggest problem. I have to concentrate and focus very hard to read the text.

A small increase in font size, and a substantial increase in the color contrast would make the site much more readable. For me, a lot of the stuff that is small and pale is of basic interest on every post. What is the purpose of almost "hiding" this information?

I assume this problem could be corrected with a few clicks of a mouse by the site designers.

Comments by other readers are welcome.

Thanks, OC

Reaction Score
I use Macs.

The font is very small. Yes, I can increase with "command+" but wish It would just come through larger.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I use Macs.

The font is very small. Yes, I can increase with "command+" but wish It would just come through larger.
The thing is, if most people aren't having a problem with the font but we make the font bigger for Mac users, a group of people is still going to be unhappy. We need to figure out which is the larger group of people.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Isn't it better that some people have it slightly too large but readable than others have it too small to read. I would suggest trying to move things up one font size and to see how that works for everyone.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
It is unclear to me as to why posters can't make font adjustment(s) to suit themselves on their own browser and /or computer.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Oz, because for some reason this system continually reverts to the small font. It indeed may be an Apple vs PC issue in terms of default font. It is not just the size, however, it is, also, that lack of sufficient contrast in certain screen areas.

Reaction Score
Oz, because for some reason this system continually reverts to the small font. It indeed may be an Apple vs PC issue in terms of default font. It is not just the size, however, it is, also, that lack of sufficient contrast in certain screen areas.

If you go in & override the site's specified font with your browser, you'll do it for other sites too, and that could be problematic. Additionally, you're probably correct that changing the font (on your computer) doesn't mean you'll (be able to) change (over-ride) the (absolute) size of the font as well. Your browser will probably default to the CSS specifications on the individual web page when it comes to the size (in px or pt).

I'm also noticing that a lot of the eye strain I see here, is indeed because of the contrast. The (entire) background is nearly white. So your iris cranks down because of the overall brightness, making it harder to (clearly) see the text. But it's hard to say if other (color) schemes would be better (or worse :confused:), without actually seeing them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you go in & override the site's specified font with your browser, you'll do it for other sites too, and that could be problematic. Additionally, you're probably correct that changing the font (on your computer) doesn't mean you'll (be able to) change (over-ride) the (absolute) size of the font as well. Your browser will probably default to the CSS specifications on the individual web page when it comes to the size (in px or pt).

I'm also noticing that a lot of the eye strain I see here, is indeed because of the contrast. The (entire) background is nearly white. So your iris cranks down because of the overall brightness, making it harder to (clearly) see the text. But it's hard to say if other (color) schemes would be better (or worse :confused:), without actually seeing them.
Yes, I think you are exactly correct Jack on all aspects.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People should be aware that Tom is setting up not only the Boneyard, he's getting the Syracusefan.com board up and running as well. This isn't his full time job; he pays the bills with a regular job during the day. Your comments are noted and will be addressed - please be patient.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nan, please don't hear anything I am saying as pressure for a quick resolution. I for one understand the realities of Tom's situation and all he does with the behind the scenes of these boards. I am simply trying to help add info so that Tom knows the gist of what some of us are experiencing and what might be helpful. I do think it is important to let the board understand what Tom is doing at the same time. It is a brand new thing and patience in certainly the rule of the day.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I think I found the answer to the font questions re: legibility.

All you have to do, if you can't read or make out a post, is to swipe the cursor across a post, reverse click and select "copy" and then "paste" in onto the message box at the bottom of each page. THEN, using the tool for font size (next to selection of a particular font itself) increase it until you can read it!

Now I know that I would go thru these hoops to read some posters' remarks...:)

Reaction Score
I'M willing tobet, thatover time. this mess will sort itself out. And theneveryone will be happy. I think the folks who put this new format together did a pretty good job- thanks guys.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
The thing is, if most people aren't having a problem with the font but we make the font bigger for Mac users, a group of people is still going to be unhappy. We need to figure out which is the larger group of people.

Nan, there's no need to change things for a particular computer type, including a Mac. On a Mac, in Safari, for example, one can change one's font preferences to individualize the way websites look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom