One heck of a press conference. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

One heck of a press conference.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, I don’t really care what Mora says. I just want to see results. There’s things out of his control — like getting a P5 invite, injuries — and things in his control — picking coaches, scheming games, etc.

Instead of focusing on the stuff he can’t control, he should worry about the stuff he’s actually responsible for. If he is not executing on the things in his control then that’s his problem.

Reaction Score
Not all that unusual for a HC to be a coordinator as well. It is a trust issue. The issue is that there are so many responsibilities with being a HC that some can get overwhelmed and burned out doing both.
No disrespect, but I think we all know what the perceived issue is. I am going to guess that he views himself as superior to whoever else might be available. Or there may be other reasons that we don't know about. The off season will be interesting. If they hire a DC, it will probably mean it was a money issue and that they had to pay whats his name for two years which is now concluding.

Reaction Score
No disrespect, but I think we all know what the perceived issue is. I am going to guess that he views himself as superior to whoever else might be available. Or there may be other reasons that we don't know about. The off season will be interesting. If they hire a DC, it will probably mean it was a money issue and that they had to pay whats his name for two years which is now concluding.
Once Spanos took the job @ Mississippi State he was essentially off the books.

Assisted access <<

-> While the school announced last August that Spanos would be taking a leave of absence, the former interim head coach never returned. Spanos missed the entire season while earning $327.608 for the first year of his two-year contract signed in the spring of 2022.

Mora called defensive plays for the 6-7 Huskies, who earned a bowl bid last season.

The head coach will again oversee the defense in 2023, but UConn won't be paying Spanos to watch from home. In March, Spanos signed a contract to serve as defensive analyst at Ole Miss.

According to UConn, Spanos' new job voids the final year of his contract with the Huskies. UConn was on the hook for $335.000 for 2023. <-

Reaction Score
The abrupt nature of the press conference and Mora’s disgust with the number of points scored—even after a rare win—was sending a simple message to the media. Don’t be surprised when I let Charlton go. That’s now a given. Charlton won’t be returning.
Inside information or are you speculating like the rest of us?

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Today's press conference he was insufferable..His act is getting old, not what the program needs now.. They've played like a poorly coached team all year, the NIL he is using as a built in excuse..This feels like it's going to implode if it does Benedict is done too, one of the canidates he interviewed was Bob Chesney think about that a second

Reaction Score
After watching this presser, hope you folks don't get too mad if Charlton is still our OC. Financially speaking, it sounds like ge probably will be. Whatever add'l NIL money that comes in will be used for a little more talented players on both sides of the football...

Reaction Score
After watching this presser, hope you folks don't get too mad if Charlton is still our OC. Financially speaking, it sounds like ge probably will be. Whatever add'l NIL money that comes in will be used for a little more talented players on both sides of the football...
We don't need more money to get a talented OC. He is already paid as well or better than a lot of other teams that do way better. He is paid almost as much as the head coach for JMU.

Reaction Score
Today's press conference he was insufferable..His act is getting old, not what the program needs now.. They've played like a poorly coached team all year, the NIL he is using as a built in excuse..This feels like it's going to implode if it does Benedict is done too, one of the canidates he interviewed was Bob Chesney think about that a second
Exactly. The poor performance this year is not because the cupboard is bare. It's because the coaching sucks.

JMU doesn't even give the full amount of scholarships, had hardly any portal action, and it's classes are all around ranked less than ours by a lot. Their coaches get paid a third of what ours do too. Coaching talent was the difference in that game, not player talent.

Reaction Score
No way Benedict is done if things don’t work out with Mora. Is that your opinion or do you have a source on that statement?

Reaction Score
UConn interviewed Chesney for the gig back in 2021? did we ever extend an offer or did he not want it?

Reaction Score

Assisted access

-> Mora has been raising is voice about NIL money, publicly and behind the scenes, especially after the recent lopsided losses, and given the realities of the day he is not wrong. It’s just a question of how much to talk about it before it becomes counterproductive, and Mora punctuated remarks by noting people “might not want to hear it, but it’s the truth.”

Benedict said he was not troubled by it, seeing them as a coach in a highly competitive environment communicating the need to raise NIL money to potential contributors.

“It doesn’t bother me at all,” Benedict said. “It’s the facts. You’re constantly having to do this if you want to remain competitive. More and more prospects, when you get to the recruiting process, if (NIL) is not their first question, it’s certainly in the top five.” <-

Reaction Score
Once Spanos took the job @ Mississippi State he was essentially off the books.
Well, part of his MSU salary I am sure covers part of the UConn payout. But I doubt that a defensive analyst makes anywhere near what a DC makes. You think UConn is not on the hook for the difference?

Reaction Score
Interesting take that that you think AD David Benedict might be done shortly after winning a MBB natty, the holy grail of sports at UConn. Not sure what form imploding takes either. Is 2-10 or 3-9 an implosion? I kinda think so, but I am not sure the powers that be share your thoughts on root cause.

Reaction Score
Just going to drop this right here...

He speaks the truth. If UConn is going to compete against P5 schools, we need to spend like P5 schools. It used to be spending on facilities and coaches, but now it is NIL. It feels to me that when Diaco was fired in 2016, investment in the football program stopped. Think about this, we are paying Mora about the same or less than what we paid the head football coach 8 to 10 years ago.

Reaction Score
He speaks the truth. If UConn is going to compete against P5 schools, we need to spend like P5 schools. It used to be spending on facilities and coaches, but now it is NIL. It feels to me that when Diaco was fired in 2016, investment in the football program stopped. Think about this, we are paying Mora about the same or less than what we paid the head football coach 8 to 10 years ago.
Of course the problem is the institution's own money cannot go to NIL. So the students are protected from ever higher subsidies. And if we are talking about collective money. where do you think FB ranks in the rack and stack? Pretty obviously third. Heck, we even saw hockey players in an advert during the SHU broadcast.

Reaction Score
Anyone can act like they care, and words don't get you a break with me. That having been said, I give him a break for this year because of how much above expectations year one was. But am I concerned that he came here expecting to be coaching at a P-whatever team and doesn't have a plan to be a competent eastern independent? Damn right.
I don't think anyone will have that plan going forward. Army of all programs just ran away from independence. A program that found conference USA too tough to compete in and opted to schedule 2 FCS opponents just said Independence is not sustainable going forward. I have never felt this way til now. We are up scheets creek here.

Reaction Score
The abrupt nature of the press conference and Mora’s disgust with the number of points scored—even after a rare win—was sending a simple message to the media. Don’t be surprised when I let Charlton go. That’s now a given. Charlton won’t be returning.
He also just said you could hire Bear Bryant and it would make no difference so i will pull a Lee Corso and tell you, "not so fast my friend". Those 2 may be attached at the hip, though i hope to be wrong about that.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Charlton had some nice wins at Maine. He progressed there and had some success. He took a step back from HC to take OC position at better program.

Sometimes these things don’t workout for various reasons.

I’m still inclined to trust Mora’s judgment.
Peter Principal OC kicked upstairs to his level of incompetence!

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
His answer to “what needs to change” is NIL - in other words, what needs to change is the players. You have to wonder how else his players can hear that?

What I didn’t hear was “we have to accept responsibility as coaches,” which makes me worry about whether we’ll see the changes we need to see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom