One heck of a press conference. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

One heck of a press conference.

Reaction Score
Spanos was and is trash. If you think the defense is bad it would be 10x worse with him as DC
Spanos was not a good d coordinator - no argument there. Moras decision to not hire a new one was moronic

Reaction Score
Almost every coordinator and assistant you’d want is still coaching somewhere this season. And, because I may be confused, is that our job to be talking to them or Benedict’s and Mora’s?
Obviously Mora's and Benedict's - not sure why you think it's a fan's job? And, yes, coaches have agents that take phone calls all the time and with coaching staffs already chopped and more to come, we better be lining up conversations now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Moras not wrong, it’s just a little surprising. If this was week 2 and he wanted to set the tone that we need to be better against the rest of the schedule that would be one thing. But most of his press conferences after games that I’ve heard have been praising effort and trying to be positive and keep the team together and this went against that.

Not really sure what to make of it
I think it's that he is fed up with our lack of offensive production. I view that as a good thing. I don't think Charlton lasts a week after the final gun the UMass game.

CL82

Reaction Score
Spanos was not a good d coordinator - no argument there. Moras decision to not hire a new one was moronic
I think theoretically he was making more money available for the rest of the staff. It didn't work out. Fix it and move on.

Reaction Score
I think theoretically he was making more money available for the rest of the staff. It didn't work out. Fix it and move on.
That’s kind of the “show us” I’ve been writing. I want to see him get “hard a$$es” in the portal, I want the offensive schemes cleaned up. But there is talk and there is action.

Reaction Score
Just to add my concern is that Coach Mora really thought we would be joining a P5 conference (they were selling a big 12 invite to the qb recruit) and now that that ship has sailed I don’t know if he has a plan.

There is a way out of the dumpster. But it has to be incremental and there has to be a concrete plan.

Sounds like there will be an increase in NIL funds available which is awesome. Now just have to allocate them correctly.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
That’s kind of the “show us” I’ve been writing. I want to see him get “hard a$$es” in the portal, I want the offensive schemes cleaned up. But there is talk and there is action.
If he wants tough guys, run the ball right at people, blow them off the line. Then you can be tough mentally and physically

Reaction Score
100% this....Also on offense at least, we have several guys who despite lack of pedigree are actually pretty good skill players - Ross, Joly, Edwards & Rosa.

With any competent play calling and coaching, those guys should be able to move the chains vs most of our schedule.
If Charlton observed anything it should have been that. They had running success off tackle, and counters. Passing success on slants, tight end crosses and midfield throws. Sweeps, tosses, bubble and wide screens, Qb run opinions failed miserably all year. Didn’t know or play to his players abilities or strengths.

On the coaching point, I can’t figure out whether Rosa is uncoachable or not being coached. The kid has one instinct only … break outside. He leaves gobs of yards on the table because he won’t cut back into the pursuit. It’s maddening. Edwards is a superior RB.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree. This season burned up the honeymoon period for Mora. We need 1) meaningful action during the off-season followed by 2) meaningful results next season.

Reaction Score
I have zero issue with his tone. And I expect him to blow some people out at the end of the season. Wouldn't do any good to do it now.
I agree with most of this, but where was the anger after his porous defense gave up over 500 yards against JMU? Instead, he decides to be short with the press after a 31-3 win against a bad FCS team. The offense clearly should be much better after 11 games, but this was a strange time for this behavior and uncharacteristic for a coach who created a lot of goodwill in year one. The only good reasons for such a quick exit would be: 1) he was in a hurry to fire Charlton or 2) he had raging diarrhea. #1 didn’t happen. I’m not sure about #2.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this, but where was the anger after his porous defense gave up over 500 yards against JMU? Instead, he decides to be short with the press after a 31-3 win against a bad FCS team. The offense clearly should be much better after 11 games, but this was a strange time for this behavior and uncharacteristic for a coach who created a lot of goodwill in year one. The only good reasons for such a quick exit would be: 1) he was in a hurry to fire Charlton or 2) he had raging diarrhea. #1 didn’t happen. I’m not sure about #2.
Or 3) he saw his team's tepid offensive performance against what is inarguably an incredibly bad Sacred Heart team and was pissed. Personally, I'm going with number three.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How do we know it was his decision? Or that it was simply a matter of he would rather spend the money on something else, like higher salaries for the assistants. A lot we do not know.

Reaction Score

Maybe getting pissed off when a top 20 team beats the crap out of a team ranked in the 130s isn't worth the hot air?

I know we are all frustrated, but I'm inclined to give him a break. At least he gives a ^&%$

Reaction Score
I think coordinators are on two-year contracts, so Spanos was still getting paid last year. The money was spent on Marianelli's new position this year.

Reaction Score
Maybe getting pissed off when a top 20 team beats the crap out of a team ranked in the 130s isn't worth the hot air?

I know we are all frustrated, but I'm inclined to give him a break. At least he gives a ^&%$
Anyone can act like they care, and words don't get you a break with me. That having been said, I give him a break for this year because of how much above expectations year one was. But am I concerned that he came here expecting to be coaching at a P-whatever team and doesn't have a plan to be a competent eastern independent? Damn right.

Reaction Score
Anyone can act like they care, and words don't get you a break with me. That having been said, I give him a break for this year because of how much above expectations year one was. But am I concerned that he came here expecting to be coaching at a P-whatever team and doesn't have a plan to be a competent eastern independent? Damn right.
To be fair, there’s a reason there’s only 2 independents left in FBS - because it’s the dumbest idea in college sports. Thank you AD Dave. However, there are plenty of other teams around our talent level that coach we’ll play hard and make it work. I don’t give Mora a pass in the slightest. Man has been coaching his whole life this isn’t new for him

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Good insight. Coach has been acting erratic at pressers voicing his angst at being left behind in realignment. The B12 fiasco seems to have thrown him for a loop. He may have been biding time hoping to be in a Power conference and all the scheduling and recruitment pluses. I do like he was pissed and did say he will take to the portal and get us some ‘dudes.’

Reaction Score
Maybe I don’t understand the nuances of coaching fully but as people have said - if it’s not working with Charlton, why doesn’t Mora fix it? Like we all have jobs. My manager has a ton on her plate but if something’s wrong with my work she’ll talk to me about it. Because at the end of the day she’s responsible. It really confuses me why Mora hasn’t been more active in fixing Charlton’s play calling.

The only reason I can think of that he hasn’t is because we literally just don’t have the talent to play aggressive offense. Which if so, is also sad.
Last line is the truth. Need a speed upgrade and explosiveness upgrade.

Reaction Score
The abrupt nature of the press conference and Mora’s disgust with the number of points scored—even after a rare win—was sending a simple message to the media. Don’t be surprised when I let Charlton go. That’s now a given. Charlton won’t be returning.

Reaction Score
Ehh I don’t think he was dismissive, plus all his press conferences have been short. He probably is frustrated about how much talent we have on our roster and can’t put up 50 points on a FCS team. Plus if media really wanted to do their job, they will ask questions like why didn’t our offense obliterate an FCS school. JMU manhandled us and played aggressive, but we can’t do the same.
His Dad had some pretty interesting post game comments too. He’s a chip off the old block.

Reaction Score
In 2018 Charlton was OC/QB at Maine. Seems to be his only prior experience as OC.
To be fair, Charlton had some nice wins at Maine. He progressed there and had some success. He took a step back from HC to take OC position at better program.

Sometimes these things don’t workout for various reasons.

I’m still inclined to trust Mora’s judgment.

Reaction Score
How do we know it was his decision? Or that it was simply a matter of he would rather spend the money on something else, like higher salaries for the assistants. A lot we do not know.
Not all that unusual for a HC to be a coordinator as well. It is a trust issue. The issue is that there are so many responsibilities with being a HC that some can get overwhelmed and burned out doing both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom